Vintage Tales discussion

Poetry > Poetry anthologies/collections

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner | 613 comments Mod
Holly, and others on Goodreads, have commented to the effect that poetry tends to be an under-read and under-appreciated literary form nowadays. I'd have to agree with that; I can get into and enjoy well-written poetry, but I've always tended to neglect it. My own poetry bookshelf here on Goodreads only lists 11 books, and I haven't reviewed all of those. But I hope to read and review more in the future! One poetry book that I have reviewed here, and rated at four stars, is English Poems From Chaucer To Kipling, an older anthology originally published in 1904. Here's the link to my review, if anyone's interested: www.goodreads.com/review/show/22565506 .

Poetry anthologies that bring together works by a number of poets, like short story anthologies by numerous authors, give readers exposure to a broad range of styles and approaches, in which there's a good chance that you can discover something you like! Hopefully this thread can be a place where others can post about, and discuss, anthologies they've liked and can recommend.

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome Werner. I've read the poem Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmasas an audiobook online and that was pretty good.

I've only read poems by themselves but not many anthologies.

message 3: by Werner (new)

Robert Frost is certainly an outstanding 20th-century poet, and his North of Boston is a classic in its field. My review is here: www.goodreads.com/review/show/17283018 , if anyone's interested.

message 4: by Werner (new)

The one 20th-century American poet whose stature is the equal of Frost's is Carl Sandburg. Their work is very different, Frost writing strictly in the rhymed, metered form whereas Sandburg preferred free verse; but each produced a body of work that's arguably classic in the poetry field. Here's the link to my short review of one of Sandburg's later collections, Honey and Salt: www.goodreads.com/review/show/17282792 .

message 5: by Werner (new)

My review of Selections from Sidney Lanier: Prose and Verse is here: www.goodreads.com/review/show/18613306 . Late 19th-century American poet Lanier isn't as well remembered today as he deserves to be, IMO, but his work is certainly classic in the American poetic tradition.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth I really like The Norton Anthology of Poetry which is a newer anthology than the one in your first post, but also includes older poetry. It's a huge book and has a lot of variety.