Dystopian Society discussion

The Bees by Laline Paull > Finished The Bees!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) Hard to warm up to but it ended up being a good read and makes it worth it in the ending.

I forgot how hard it is for me to get into stories where people aren't humans. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm not into fantasy. But it was so fast paced and easy to read that it kept me reading without any unearned effort. It was around the 75% point that I started thinking I would give it more than two stars (It's ok) and gave it three instead (Liked It).

It certainly landed firmly into our chosen genre so I was happy with that. Glad we chose it!

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Henderson (breakfastbutty) I enjoyed this. I liked the communication and the bees' eye view, and that it didn't feel like a nature documentary. The sense and feelings in the hive made it atmospheric and the main character developed well.

I thought it could have done with a couple of other bee storylines - at times it felt a bit flat and needed to leave Flora 717 alone for a bit. Still, it was a good quick read, and a refreshing change from some of the other dystopian worlds. I think I'll never look at a bee the same way again.