Allegiant (Divergent, #3) Allegiant discussion

Tris in the movie

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dana This may have been covered, the movie has been out a year.
But.
How do people feel about how different Tris in the book and Shailene Woodley are?
I read the books after seeing the movie, and I feel Ms Woodley has done a good job in getting the feel of Tris right. ( Looking at the Insurgent trailer she looks better) But if you came from the books, a important part of what Tris was, was that she was tiny.
Ms Woodley is 5'8"...

Kristen When I heard that Shailene Woodley was playing Tris, I assumed she would be awful.
And while, I don't think she's a great fit, she's not horrible either.
It could just be that I had really low expectations though....

As far as her size, I think it's more important that the actor get the character right than fit the physical description perfectly.

I feel that they kind of screwed her personality up alot. Being raised in Abnegation, she didn't wear make up, she was uncomfortable with people showing affection, and she had never seen some of the foods they had in Dauntless. All of that was changed in the movie. Small details, yes, but I feel they really take away from her character.

Katie Steele I think there is a big difference between not fitting perfectly and being tall, not scrawny, pretty instead of plain, brunette instead of blonde, etc. I think she did a reasonable portrayal of the Tris everyone else sees in the books. Obviously as readers we know more about her motives and emotions but she portrayed all she could in a movie. However I do not think she was the right choice. It's not like she captured Tris so incredibly I could never imagine anyone else ever doing it. They should have at least tried to match her description. Most the Weasly clan isn't naturally ginger. They dyed their hair for the movies.

Caitlin "Sparkie" Kristen wrote: "When I heard that Shailene Woodley was playing Tris, I assumed she would be awful.
And while, I don't think she's a great fit, she's not horrible either.
It could just be that I had really low ex..."

Completely agree, I wasn't a big fan of the movie because of all the small details they changed or took out that really diminished it for me.