Rebecca Rebecca discussion

Other books like Rebecca? Are there any?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Meghna Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book...

Renee E Try some of Daphne DuMaurier's other books.

Meghna Thanks Renee! Read all of them! Are there any other authors you can suggest?

message 4: by Renee E (last edited Jan 20, 2015 09:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee E You might look at modern gothic writers. Kallie introduced me to Paul Bowles — I've been reading a LARGE collection of his short stories and liking them.

Jack Cady is my favorite of all though. "The Well" would be the one I'd suggest since you appreciate DuMaurier (who has long been one of my favorites). It gets shoved into the horror genre, but that was because the publisher had no clue as to how to market Cady's work. I suspect DD would have the same problem in today's publishing arena.

Meghna I agree with your comment about some of DDs work may have been put under horror genre in todays world. Thanks for the suggestions..I will surely try those authors, thanks

Renee E I should have noted that a major difference between Bowles and Cady is that Bowles writes with a remove from his characters and has an O'Henry or deMaupassant-ish atmosphere of fastidiousness. Cady gets inside his characters, and there's an honest respect — sometimes even a tenderness (but without sentimentality).

Bowles is an intellectual read, even the emotions he evokes are in your head. Cady requires that you think, but the emotions will come from . . . someplace deep, where you can't intellectualize them.

message 7: by Mary (last edited Jan 21, 2015 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Corbal If you like Rebecca, I think you would like Johanna Lindsey. Try with the series about The Mallory, and another very good book is: A man to call on my own.

message 8: by Micebyliz (new) - added it

Micebyliz Try Josephine Tey!! and Ruth Rendell!!!!

Meghna Mary wrote: "If you like Rebecca, I think you would like Johanna Lindsey. Try with the series about The Mallory, and another very good book is: A man to call on my own." Thanks Mary!

Meghna Micebyliz wrote: "Try Josephine Tey!! and Ruth Rendell!!!!" Thanks Micebyliz!

Meghna Renee wrote: "I should have noted that a major difference between Bowles and Cady is that Bowles writes with a remove from his characters and has an O'Henry or deMaupassant-ish atmosphere of fastidiousness. Cady..." Both sound interesting. I will give both a try. Thanks a million :-)

message 12: by L.M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

L.M. Roth There is a wonderful book that was written in the 60s by an Irish writer named Catherine Gaskins called Edge of Glass. I have always considered it an update of Rebecca with a modern twist to it; what if the reasons that Maximillian de Winter killed his wife for didn't matter in an England that no longer cared about the world he strove to please? It is a very subtle retelling and not obvious until you actually finish the book. It took me at least 3 re-reads to notice what the author had done.

It's basically the story of a young English girl whose mother has died recently and discovers from an encounter with a stranger that there were secrets she never knew her mother kept from her. She is lured to Ireland where she meets a mystery man who recently lost his wife. I will not tell the rest as it would contain too many spoilers. Suffice it to say that if you liked Rebecca you will like this book. It is also beautifully written, haunting, and deeply moving.

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary D Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..." My Cousin Rachel is a similar gothic romance/mystery. With a male protagonist and the Cornwall setting.

Tome Reader I loved "Rebecca" so much that I could not wait to get my hands on her other books. "My Cousin Rachel" is better, if you can believe it. Rebecca was a witch but Cousin Rachel, well, we just don't know! More mystery, more second guessing, more suspicion and the ending is perfect. I've never read a book like it.

Maria I'm intrigued. Now I'll have to read "My Cousin Rachel"!

message 16: by Micebyliz (last edited Jan 22, 2015 01:08PM) (new) - added it

Micebyliz Laura wrote: "I loved "Rebecca" so much that I could not wait to get my hands on her other books. "My Cousin Rachel" is better, if you can believe it. Rebecca was a witch but Cousin Rachel, well, we just don't ..."

i liked The House on the Strand...:)

message 17: by Micebyliz (new) - added it

Micebyliz Meghna wrote: "Micebyliz wrote: "Try Josephine Tey!! and Ruth Rendell!!!!" Thanks Micebyliz!"

certainly :) i hope you enjoy them. novels with substance are the best.

Merry Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."

I would recommend some of Victoria Holt books. I really am a fan of Holt's.

Meghna Mary wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..." My Cousin Rachel is a similar gothic romance/mystery. With a male protagonist and the Cornw..."

Mary wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..." My Cousin Rachel is a similar gothic romance/mystery. With a male protagonist and the Cornw...". Thanks. Thanks Mary. I loved My Cousin Rachel too. I have read all of DD's books and absolutely love her style.Shame there are only so few. But thanks for your suggestion.

Meghna L.M. wrote: "There is a wonderful book that was written in the 60s by an Irish writer named Catherine Gaskins called Edge of Glass. I have always considered it an update of Rebecca with a modern twist to it; wh..." Thanks LM. Sounds great...I will look for the book.

Meghna Laura wrote: "I loved "Rebecca" so much that I could not wait to get my hands on her other books. "My Cousin Rachel" is better, if you can believe it. Rebecca was a witch but Cousin Rachel, well, we just don't ..." Laura,thanks for the comment. Agree, I really enjoyed My cousin Rachel. In fact all of her books..except I think Julius.. were fantastic. I love DD.

Meghna Maria wrote: "I'm intrigued. Now I'll have to read "My Cousin Rachel"!" Absolutely Maria. Also try House on the Strand. But then I love all her books :-) Enjoy.

Meghna Micebyliz wrote: "Laura wrote: "I loved "Rebecca" so much that I could not wait to get my hands on her other books. "My Cousin Rachel" is better, if you can believe it. Rebecca was a witch but Cousin Rachel, well, ..." Me too.

Meghna Merry wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."

I would recommend some of Victoria Holt books. I really am a fan of Holt's."
Thanks Merry, on the list now.

Meghna Micebyliz wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Micebyliz wrote: "Try Josephine Tey!! and Ruth Rendell!!!!" Thanks Micebyliz!"

certainly :) i hope you enjoy them. novels with substance are the best."
Micebyliz, got 'end in tears' by Ruth Rendell as that was the only one they had in the library. Rest all on loan. She sure is popular.

message 26: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Doyle Have you tried any of the classics, such as Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights?

message 27: by Micebyliz (new) - added it

Micebyliz Meghna wrote: "Micebyliz wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Micebyliz wrote: "Try Josephine Tey!! and Ruth Rendell!!!!" Thanks Micebyliz!"

certainly :) i hope you enjoy them. novels with substance are the best." Micebyliz, ..."

i'm glad to know that. End in Tears i think is an Inspector Wexford novel, one of many in her series about him. I liked those, but not as much as her single novels. There is something about her that you can't figure out until you read the whole book that i enjoy :) None of that "the butler did it" stuff, you know?

message 28: by Micebyliz (new) - added it

Micebyliz Liz wrote: "Have you tried any of the classics, such as Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights?"

good idea, they're not mysteries though. i was thinking she wanted more mysteries but I do think the classics are great.

Cindy If you haven't read it already, I'd definitely recommend The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 30: by Renee E (last edited Jan 26, 2015 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee E Micebyliz wrote: "Liz wrote: "Have you tried any of the classics, such as Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights?"

good idea, they're not mysteries though. i was thinking she wanted more mysteries but I do think the classi..."

DuMaurier wasn't really a mystery writer, she really falls more into the Modern Gothic arena. Mystery is always a part of her stories, but it's more than that. There's an exploration of the psyche, emotions, character driven stories. Even though her plots are rich and complex, they're subservient to the characters.

Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are excellent suggestions!

message 31: by Micebyliz (new) - added it

Micebyliz You're right. the reasons you list for admiring her work are similar to those i would use to describe A Judgement in Stone by Ruth Rendell. A psychological study like no other.

Meghna Liz, absolutely! I love the Classics and read them all. But like Renee says, DD's style is so different from the others. There is something about her writing that completely absorbs the reader. I even enjoyed Frenchmans Creek which is more chick lit!

Meghna Micebyliz, thanks for the advise. I will look for her single novels too. cant wait to start reading her books.

Kerri Try Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

message 35: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."
Hi Meghna, I was at the library yesterday and pulled from the shelf, "Hold My Hand" by Serena Mackesy. A big, creepy house in pictured on the spine of the book, and a blurb on the back reads, "A Modern day Rebecca..." Since you liked Rebecca so much (as did I), you might like other Gothic Romance writers like Victoria Holt or Phyllis A. Whitney. Also, I recommend Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived In The Castle", although I haven't seen it anywhere in years. Warning: "Rebecca" is one of the best of this particular genre, so if you find something you feel is better, please let us all know!

message 36: by Susan (last edited Jan 30, 2015 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan Gill Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."
When I first read Rebecca as a very young woman, I wanted to read other books like it. Well, I am no longer a young woman and I have never found another book quite like it. There are other genre novels but Rebecca is unique. None of DuMaurier's other books are as good as this one.

Susan Gill Greg wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."
Hi Meghna, I was at the library yesterday and pulled from the shelf, "Hold My Hand" by Seren..."

Shirley Jackson is an entirely different genre than the one DuMaurier wrote in, but she is certainly worth reading. We Have Always Lived in the Castle is an amazing novel as it The Haunting of Hill House.

Renee E Seriously. Jack Cady's "The Well."

message 39: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."
Hi Meghna, I was at the library yesterday and pulled from the shelf, "Hold My H..."

Hi Susan, yes, Jackson and DuMaurier are certainly different writers. Often, to me, the sinister house or odd location is often as strong a character as any named people in a novel. And, even though Manderly (sp?) is a great "character", it's hard to top "Hill House" imo, from this perspective.

Susan Gill Greg wrote: "Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."
Hi Meghna, I was at the library yesterday and pulled from the she..."

It is interesting how Jackson makes houses into such living entities. Even in We Have Always lived in the Castle the Blackwood house had a life of its own. Always a bit sinister.

message 41: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."
Hi Meghna, I was at the library yesterday and pulled..."

Susan, oddly, I've always associated Jackson's "Castle" with Carson McCuller's "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter". These were among the first 'adult' books I ever read and I think of them together for some reason. They both cast a melancholy which has lasted all these years, but I can't say why. Perhaps it's time to revisit both.

Susan Gill Greg wrote: "Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."
Hi Meghna, I was at the library yester..."

Greg, I have never read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter for some reason, lol. However, Castle could be viewed as melancholy I suppose but really the ending is actually a happy one for the characters. They do not belong to the conventional world, they live in their own. The entire book is about the points where their insular world intersects with the outside , hostile one. That the ending finds both Constance and Merricat firmly entrenched into their own little world , is a triumph not only for the sisters but for the vindication of mankind in general. After all, the hideous townspeople do repent of their crimes and leave offerings at the door. Read the book again, you won't regret it.

message 43: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Susan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Meghna wrote: "Rebecca is my all time favourite. Are ther other books like that? So much in one book..."
Hi Meghna, I was at the l..."

Thanks Susan!

April the library yesterday and pulled from the shelf, ...
If you're ok with audio, Audible has recently put up a copy of Jackson's Castle. I really enjoyed it - very strange little tale.

message 45: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg April wrote: " the library yesterday and pulled from the shelf, ...
If you're ok with audio, Audible has recently put up a copy of Jackson's Castle. I really enjoyed it - very strange little tale."

Thanks April, I didn't know that!

Susan Gill I was going to do a recording of that book for Librevox but it is not in the public domain yet.

message 47: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Susan wrote: "I was going to do a recording of that book for Librevox but it is not in the public domain yet."

Well, Susan, I've never even heard of Librevox, so thanks! Always good to learn new things!

message 48: by Micebyliz (new) - added it

Micebyliz i'm halfway through "Moriarty" by Anthony Horowitz. I'm reading it for the humor :)while the snow blows outside. It's pretty good and a fun read so far. A different sort of mystery reading than the books discussed, but if you're looking for something kind of familiar? it might be a idea.

message 49: by Micebyliz (new) - added it

Micebyliz i have a stack of books waiting for me at the library but was too lazy to get out in the snow and pick them up.
that's why tomorrows were invented.

Sonja Micebyliz wrote: "Liz wrote: "Have you tried any of the classics, such as Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights?"

good idea, they're not mysteries though. i was thinking she wanted more mysteries but I do think the classi..."

a classic that is a mystery and has in my view some atmosphere like DD is Wilkie Collins "The woman in white", if you haven´t already read it.

« previous 1