Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2) Die Trying discussion

Jack Reacher

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Weir This is the second Jack Reacher book I have read....I decided to give this author one more try because people rave about Jack Reacher! I am finding the book a struggle, same with the first JR. book. Jack has a tendency to shrug a lot, I mean a LOT!! The story lines seem repetitive & the characters, especially the women are similar in the two books I've read so far. JR himself doesn't come across as real & the story is badly written leaving a lot up in the air. Can anyone tell me whether these books improve as they continue? Does Jack stop shrugging so much??

Tolly I really really like Echo Burning. Which other one did you read?

Softbananas I read the first 3 Reacher books. I liked this one but was disappointed in the other two, even though I gave them 3 stars.

I kind of doubt I'll read any more Reacher books. I have a feeling this is a cookie cutter series.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Weir that's a great way to describe them and I think you may be right. Such a shame because Reacher could be an awesome character with the right author. An author needs to be able to grab and hold your attention with his/her words. An author that can make a reader not want to put a book down, not want to say goodbye to a character, who finds the character and the situation absolutely believable and will read till 3am even though they have to get up for work in the morning, that is then a great Author!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed Lee Childs' Trip Wire and the background it involved with the bad characters. I would recommend it if you enjoy a story with a twist.

William Scott I've been having this problem with many of the "lite reading" type novels lately. I like the Reacher character because I was an MP and I'm similar to his description in the books. But I have to admit there were 2 of them that I did not complete because they were all filler and no meat.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Weir Thanks Dennis I will try Trip Wire. It is unfortunate that Lee Childs writes so many Reacher books that seem full of rubbish and the Reacher character just doesn't ring true in the two books, or one and a half books that I have attempted to read. The writing appears to be very childish....but I will try Trip Wire now, give the author one more go. :)

Markus I just finished "personal" and it had a some interesting details about Reacher's Mother. I have read most of the series and I look at each book as chapter in his life. Maybe Childs is filling in the character over the long term. he can afford this now that the series is an acclaimed success.

Elizabeth Tolly wrote: "I really really like Echo Burning. Which other one did you read?"

so far the only 2 I've read is Book 1: the killing floor and book 2 die trying,I've still got books 3,4 and 8 to read and so far those are the only ones I got since I got books 2-4 in a box set and books 1 and 8 I bought by themselves.

Sonya marie madden I'm surprised hardly anyone likes reacher. I like his mystery. I thorougghly enjoyed Lee
s plotting.

message 11: by Karen (last edited Mar 29, 2015 09:35AM) (new)

Karen Weir I think the story line is good Sonya it's just the first two books I read had Reacher constantly shrugging, a lot of repetitive writing and I found the way Lee writes is very amateurish but perhaps he improved as we wrote more Reacher books. The character Reacher is likable, just the way the story is written doesn't hold my interest.

Jeffery Lee Radatz I understand your point-of-view, Karen, and I don't think the Jack Reacher series is for everyone. I happen to like them, even if they are shallow. I sometimes go to authors like him or James Patterson for an easy read! I really like Donna Tartt and Gillian Flynn and Vince Flynn for good meaty books!