The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion discussion

Is Fannie Flag good

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I have always been curious about the books written by Fannie Flag. Can you tell me your opinion on her books. What about Carrie Fisher? I heard she is good too.

Jennifer Fromke Fannie Flag has a very strong voice, usually southern. She is great at writing women, especially those over the age of say...50ish. She writes in a lot of humor, keeps it mostly clean and the stories always leave you feeling good. Give her a try!

Marne Wilson Fannie Flagg's writing made a lot more sense to me when I found out that she started out as a television writer. She tends to write in short scenes that switch abruptly, much like most television programs are structured. If you like books that keep moving and often put the characters in humorous situations, you'll probably find her a good writer. But if you're looking for deep books in which the language is the main attraction, you'll probably find her light and superficial.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cheryl,

Thanks for that info. That helped me in making the decision to read. What kind of books interest you?

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Beth thank you for the useful information. I did not realize that she had a few books out there to read. Is there any particular one I should start with first?

Marne Wilson I've got to say I know a lot of Christians who would not like to read Fannie Flagg at all. The All-Girl Filling Station's plot hinges on premarital sex and an out-of-wedlock baby, while Fried Green Tomatoes has hints of lesbianism. Fannie Flagg herself is a lesbian, which would certainly make some Christians not want to go anywhere near her books!

When we start saying that books are "for" one type of person and "not for" another type of person, we do readers everywhere a disservice. All we can really ever do is explain what we liked about a book and what we didn't like, and let other readers use our thoughts to help themselves draw their own conclusions about whether the book is right for them.

David Schwinghammer FRIED GREEN TOMATOES was a great book, the others not so much. I'm pretty sure I've read all of them. There are about a half dozen more. She wasn't just a TV writer. She appeared on lots of game shows, and she may have done some stand-up. She was always very witty.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I remember her on Match Game. Wow that takes me back. I enjoyed her I thought she was funny.

Ruth I really enjoy Fannie Flagg's books. I particularly liked The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion and I Still Dream About You. She is quite funny and her characters are well drawn. A very Southern flavor to her style, but to me that is a good thing.

message 10: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat C. When I first saw a book of Fannie Flagg's on a display at the library I was very hesitant to check it out. For some reason, I expected it to be chick lit at it's worst. At the time I was going through my library's entire (small) selection of audiobooks - this was before I knew about Audible and had to either buy the audiobook at $40 - $60 bucks a crack or put up with the library's meager selection. So I checked out "Welcome to the World, Baby Girl" because I was running out of choices. The title is a bit cringeworthy and the opening scene is slightly corn pone but it turned out to be a really good book with subtle, incisive commentary about race and miscegenation. I would not hesitate to recommend it. Since that experience over 10 years ago, I read her books as they come out and as with most writers, some books are better than others. "The All Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion" is one of my favorites. I had no idea that there even were female pilots in WW II let alone anything about the way they were exploited. If anyone wonders why there was ever a need for a women's movement they should read this book.
PS I always wonder: when someone is described as a Christian, are they referring to a person who behaves with charity and forgiveness toward others (as Christ taught) or to the self ascribed " Christians" who form political blocs to legislate their own concept of morality?

Susan Pat, that is a very good question. I would prefer that when people refer to Christians that it be describing one who behaves with charity and forgiveness toward others (as Christ taught) also a person whose life shows a high regard for God and not just on Sunday.

Marne Wilson Well, guys, I think being a Christian is like being a reader. Anyone can give that label to themselves, but some are more serious about it than others. In my mind, a Christian is someone who wants to follow the teachings of Christ, and chief among those is "love your neighbor as you love yourself." But some people get hung up on other things. Just like some people claim to have read all kinds of books but have never actually cracked them open and just leave them sitting on the shelf for show, some people say they are Christian only because they go to church every Sunday, but they never pay much attention while they're there.

Susan We can always learn something every day. lol