Hard SF discussion

To Summon The Blackbird
This topic is about To Summon The Blackbird
Goodreads Authors > To Summon The Blackbird

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) To Summon The Blackbird is a new Science Fiction novel available as an ebook on Amazon.com and Smashwords.com. It can also be purchased in paperback at Createspace.com, and will also be distributed to Amazon and Barnes & Noble within a few days. Also within a few days, it should be available at Kobo, Apple, and others. This is military/space opera with a lot of action, but also features characters with much more depth than the usual never-say-die hero.

The blurb: From the ashes of the outer remnants of the First Empire, a powerful rival to its ancient glory has risen. After ruthlessly dominating its neighbors, the New Empire launches yet another campaign, and this one will take it deeper than ever into the old empire's former realm. Its target is the small Hellsbridge Sub-Federation Tri-System, but when the assault begins with a force that should have been overwhelming, the result is more than puzzling. As reinforcements are fed into the battle, it quickly becomes a clash of interstellar empires, in which the fates of entire worlds ride on the outcome of a macabre chess game played on an epic scale.

message 2: by Jabriol (new)

Jabriol | 16 comments I Don't know, the plot seems similar to so many other Novels, Dune saga, Foundation, etc, etc.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) There are only so many plots out there, so a unique story has to depend on setups, characters, and how the characters handle the situation. I read both Dune and Foundation, along with many, many others, and wrote something different. If you're referring to the classic style, military/space opera, that's my thing; it's what I do.

message 4: by Outis (new)

Outis | 64 comments I'm not seeing either Dune or Foundation in that summary. Whatever.
You can simply start reading the book if you're curious: http://www.smashwords.com/extreader/r...

This being the Hard SF group though, what might be useful to readers is some information about how hard the book is.
If you don't want to write an essay, there's this convenient scale you could use for instance: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php...

message 5: by Ken (last edited Jan 21, 2015 01:45PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Outis wrote: "I'm not seeing either Dune or Foundation in that summary. Whatever.
You can simply start reading the book if you're curious: http://www.smashwords.com/extreader/r......"

Yeah, it's been a few decades since I read either of those, but as I recall them, my book is nothing like either one. Regarding Hard SF, it has hardware, weapons, and it all conforms to the technological tropes used in that genre. There's no magic, no Fantasy elements at all. The assumed elements in this story is FTL travel, multidimensional travel, and high-tech weapons that use a smattering of current theory, keeping an eye on the fact that the extrapolation of those theories may be radically different in reality than what is proposed today. Some may consider it borderline in a story that takes place a couple of millenia in the future, but no open-minded person can say that anything in the story is technologically impossible forever.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Outis wrote: "I'm not seeing either Dune or Foundation in that summary. Whatever.
You can simply start reading the book if you're curious: http://www.smashwords.com/extreader/r......"

I loved Dune by Frank Herbert. The first 3 in the series anyway. After his death, his son seemed to turn it into a franchise, which i thought was a shame & dishonored FH's original vision.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Smashwords has approved To Summon The Blackbird for its premium catalog distribution, so it should soon be available on iTunes, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and others.