Lafayette County & Oxford Public Library discussion

Discussions > Winter 2015

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LB (last edited Jan 21, 2015 06:25AM) (new)

LB (lbwalker) | 126 comments Mod
Happy New Year everyone.
I decided to learn some things about some issues/people that had a not so great effect on me the past year.
So I began The Narcissist Next Door: Understanding the Monster in Your Family, in Your Office, in Your Bed--in Your World and it is enlightening. But sometimes I get so angry that I have to put it down.
My other book at this moment is The Woman I Wanted to Be and I am loving it! The story of how the wrap dress came about is fascinating.

message 2: by Annette (new)

Annette | 2 comments Hello! I purchased my first wrap dress in the 1960's as a teenager. Now I wish I had the dress since it was so flattering. I like to view fashion and follow INGRID MIDA on Twitter and look back at her web page FASHION IS MY MUSE.
She has some really good suggestions on the developing of fashion through the different eras. Also ECO web page is on today's fashions.
Caroline Weber has a book on THE FRENCH FASHION QUEEN On Marie Antoinette and the book is a wonder to how the Queen of France influenced fashion. Great review. Thanks! Mrs. ATK

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Lovejoy (smlovejoy) | 43 comments Happy New Year! My goal is to read 80 books this year. I've been booking (see what I did there?) right along but the warmer weather we've had this week has made me want to do other things, like work in my yard. Anyway, here is what I've read so far this month:

Mad About the Boy I liked this one more than the other Bridget Jones books. I could hear Renee Zelleweger's voice as I was reading it. Sometimes that was a good thing, sometimes not so much. Still, it got some laugh-out-loud moments from me.

Behind Lesbia's Door: Her Slave-Girls' Shocking Revelations: The 700-Year-Old Mystery of Catullus's Song-Poem 67 Solved via Cicero's Pro Caelio Not part of my usual genre but I picked this one up because I know the author. I wish I knew more about the background of this story before reading it as I know *nothing* about Greek/Roman history. Seriously, the only stuff I know about Cleopatra is what I've learned from Elizabeth Taylor. But I enjoyed this book. Definitely not a quick read.

l8r, g8r Yes, this is very much below my age level but I read the other two and I can't stand not finishing a series. And yes, I'm counting it as part of my 80.

Little Altars Everywhere Loved. It. Enough said.

Bury Me Deep Megan Abbott is my current author crush. I've read four of her books and will finish all her others sometime this year.

All My Octobers I love the book swap rack at the library. Found this gem there last week. I'm not a huge fan of Mickey Mantle (he was more humble later in his life so maybe I should forgive him for being a donkey's butt) and I'm even less of a fan of the Yankees. But I don't pass by any baseball book without reading it.

Right now I'm reading Shadows of the Workhouse. I am REALLY enjoying this series and I hope I have the willpower to finish all of them before I start watching the PBS adaptation.

message 4: by LB (new)

I also have an author crush on Megan Abbott. And have for a couple of years. She is fantastic!

message 5: by Corey (new)

Corey | 22 comments Mod
I just read How Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise. It's definitely written by a fan: the late 80s/early 90s wilderness that we Star Wars fans wandered in carrying the torch among us is accurately recognized. Also, I was surprised that there are still things about the making of the original trilogy that I didn't know.

I'm currently on Fire and Rain: The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY, and the Lost Story of 1970. This is a really good book! I do not like Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, or CSNY, yet I'm finding the their stories, as written here, fascinating, interweaved with the cultural context of the year 1970. (I admit, the occasional chapter incorporating The Beatles helps).

message 6: by LB (new)

I still haven't finished The Narcissist Next Door: Understanding the Monster in Your Family, in Your Office, in Your Bed--in Your World. I may have to break-up with it. I just get angry and annoyed. It may be too soon for this one.
I am really enjoying Nobody is Ever Missing by Catherine Lacey (she is from Tupelo!) and apparently not on Goodreads.