Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Fan Fiction, Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, I think who ever came up with the idea of Fan Fiction, is absolutely brilliant.
Additionally I think, ‘Every reader would like to be a writer’ so, Fan Fiction will give a person the opportunity to dip their toes into the writing pool.

I would be thrilled if a reader wanted to continue one of my stories with their crossover take on events and characters.
As a matter of fact, all anyone will have to do is contact me and I’ll set up a tab for Fan Fiction on my website. An exclusive place where a reader can post their Fan Fiction, receive comments and be encouraged to continue with their writing.
Anyone interested enough to write Fan Fiction should also consider publishing the writing they create on Amazon, something I highly recommend. My answer is YAY!

Ruth Ford Elward
Author of Diverse Mysteries

message 2: by T.H. (new)

T.H. Hernandez (thhernandez) | 41 comments I have nothing against fan fiction. In fact, my own teen daughter tried her hand at it.

I do think that true fan fiction, where the same characters are used, the same world building, etc. is not be something other writers should profit from.

If they want to change it up, use it as inspiration (think 50 Shades), to me that's a different issue. But if 50 Shades had just been kinky vampires in Forks, I think Stephenie Meyer would have had legitimate grounds to complain.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

T.H.
Thanks for responding to this, you have a valid point. Any time we open ourselves to new things, there are going to be those that will take advantage or abuse our good nature. I suppose at some point parameters will be set up regarding Fan Fiction. Meanwhile, it looks like the source author will have to make their 'grounds' known.
Ruth

message 4: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Flynn | 32 comments Years ago when I was writing fanfiction I read an article by a writer (I can't recall the name at the moment) who raised the issue that people who write fanfiction devote wonderful plots and character development to characters that they do not own and that they cannot make earnings from. The article encouraged writers to determine what it was that they found engaging about the characters or the plot then create their own universes incorporating those types of plotlines and characters and develop them for their own benefit. And frankly, that's exactly what I started doing. Starting with learning what I found enjoyable I was able to create several different worlds and universes that I enjoy writing in and that I hope others will eventually enjoy reading.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 210 comments There is a saying; "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery". I can see the logic in that. However, I personally believe that imitation reveals a lack of imagination. A writer lacking imagination will be a mediocre storyteller at best.

I agree with Penelope's reference to the article that pointed out that those who write fanfiction would be much better off creating their own characters and plotlines, rather than rehashing those of others.

message 6: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (RhiannonWellman) | 16 comments I started writing by writing fanfiction, even though i'm published now I still write it. It gave me confidence to even try to get published for real

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Rhiannon. For me that's the bottom line, if Fan Fiction helps a want to be writer find their voice and confidence, Great! Starting off can be overwhelming.