Aussie Readers discussion

Archive Personal Challenges 2016 > Kiera's Goodreads Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by K (last edited Jan 30, 2015 02:41AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments I have set my goal at a modest 45 and I will see how I go. Haven't been doing a whole bunch of reading lately, coz I've been very busy. Anyway, I finished one.

1. Broken Silence (Silence, #2) by Natasha Preston
This novel follows on from the first, Silence (Silence, #1) by Natasha Preston . It's a fairly fun read, though I would've liked to have seen less frivolity and more in depth exploration of Oakley's feelings about what has been happening and too little of the book covered the trial. It is a good concept, but a bit of a deeper story would have made it better.

message 2: by K (last edited Jan 20, 2015 02:26PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments Just finished this 5 mins ago.
2. Eyewitness Living Earth by Miranda Smith

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70543 comments Mod
You have two challenges running Kiera! Well done:)

message 4: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments This challenge with link in with my other one. :)

message 5: by K (last edited Jan 30, 2015 02:40AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 3. Stargate Atlantis Mirror, Mirror (Stargate Atlantis, #9) by Sabine C. Bauer
This was such a great read. The premise of the story- lots of different alternate timelines that have to be brought back together to form the correct one- is pure genius and executed very well indeed. It was a very hard book to put down.

message 6: by K (last edited Feb 01, 2015 02:04PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 4. I finished Emily Sex & Sensibility (The Wilde Sisters, #1) by Sandra Marton . I gave it two stars, mainly because it's just typical, annoying romance trash where the woman is "fiesty" but goes to jello as soon as the guy even just looks at her, implying that she has no independent mind of her own and said man who is her 'love interest' is the typical condescending mysoginist that is rife in these sorts of books. Even her brothers are written that way. Seriously, let the girl get a word in edgeways, author! I much prefer Nicholas Sparkes or Jane Austen type romance, that's for sure.

message 7: by K (last edited Feb 26, 2015 11:39PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 5. Lost Souls (Torchwood Audio Drama, #1) by Joseph Lidster . 5 stars. I absolutely LOVE this Torchwood story and I especially love that Martha is back!

message 8: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 6. Fairest by Chanda Hahn wow, this ended with a bang!!! 4 stars! I loved it!!!

message 9: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3225 comments Kiera wrote: "5. Lost Souls (Torchwood Audio Drama, #1) by Joseph Lidster. 5 stars. I absolutely LOVE this Torchwood story and I especially love that Martha is back!"

I had no idea Torchwood went on as radio plays. I must check them out :) Thanks Kiera!

message 10: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments Oh, that's no problem Leonie. You can get them on iTunes.

message 11: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3225 comments Kiera wrote: "Oh, that's no problem Leonie. You can get them on iTunes."

Excellent!

message 12: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:50AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 7. A Heartless Design (Secrets of the Zodiac #1) by Elizabeth Cole
This was a really fun novel and a welcome change to the regular romance fare. A fun espionage story set in the Regency period with wonderfully in depth characters. I look forward to the next one!

message 13: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:50AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 8. Asylum (Torchwood Radio Dramas, #2) by Anita Sullivan
This is a good Torchwood story about a girl who falls through the Rift.

message 14: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:50AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 9. I finished The Torchwood Archives by Gary Russell after lord knows how long. It's basically just a guide to the first couple of series, but it is done in an interesting way: like dossier. Pretty cool content! 3 *

message 15: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:50AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 10. So I finally read a book! I am slowly getting back to my regular scheduled programming after the upset in my life over the last couple of weeks. I just read Ireland by Michael Heatley . 4 *. It is such a beautiful book with beautiful photographs. Take me to Ireland now!

message 16: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:51AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 11. I finished Saving Wishes (Wishes, #1) by G.J. Walker-Smith and oh my gosh, I LOVED it! It's such a beautiful story. I gave it 5 stars.

message 17: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:51AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 12. I listened to Golden Age (Torchwood Radio Dramas, #3) by James Goss the other night. The Torchwood team travel to Torchwood India. It's so much fun! 4 *.

Jülie ☼♄  | 6327 comments Kiera wrote: "I finished Saving Wishes (Wishes, #1) by G.J. Walker-Smith and oh my gosh, I LOVED it! It's such a beautiful story. I gave it 5 stars."

That's good for you Kiera because there are 5 more books available in that "Wishes" series.

message 19: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Kiera wrote: "I finished Saving Wishes (Wishes, #1) by G.J. Walker-Smith and oh my gosh, I LOVED it! It's such a beautiful story. I gave it 5 stars."

That's good for you Kiera because there are 5 more books av..."

I am really looking forward to them!

message 20: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:51AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 13. I completed Miss Carter's War by Sheila Hancock . It was quite a fun read, but the random 'time jumps' as I like to call them were always very sudden and sometimes didn't flow well. I gave it 3 stars.

message 21: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8144 comments Kiera wrote: "I completed Miss Carter's War by Sheila Hancock. It was quite a fun read, but the random 'time jumps' as I like to call them were always very sudden and sometimes didn't flow well. I gave it 3 s..."

It sounds like an interesting story Kiera.

message 22: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments Carolyn wrote: "Kiera wrote: "I completed Miss Carter's War by Sheila Hancock. It was quite a fun read, but the random 'time jumps' as I like to call them were always very sudden and sometimes didn't flow well...."

It has certainly given me a better appreciation of WWII and how my generation is often too glib about the whole thing.

message 23: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:51AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 14. I just finished STARGATE SG-1 Permafrost A novella (SGX-02) by Sally Malcolm . It was not as good as other Stargate novels, but still quite fun. I gave it 3 stars.

message 24: by K (last edited May 03, 2015 02:52AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 15. Listened to Dead Line (Torchwood Radio Dramas, #4) by Phil Ford . Fun as always! I gave it 4 *. Jack is out of commission this time around, so it's up to Gwen and Ianto to figure out what's going on with everyone's telephones. Can't say any more. SPOILERS! ;)

message 25: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 16. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens . 3 stars because it was so difficult. Lol.

message 26: by K (last edited May 26, 2015 06:25PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 17. The Devil and Miss Carew (Torchwood Audio Drama, #5) by Rupert Laight . I love anything Torchwood, but this wasn't as engaging as the previous audio stories. I gave it 3 stars.

message 27: by K (last edited May 26, 2015 06:25PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 18. Great Private Collections of Imperial Russia by Oleg Neverov . I love this book so much. Classical and ancient art is- to me- by far the most beautiful. 4 stars.

message 28: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments So I just finished Fable by Chanda Hahn . OH MY GOD! I HATE YOU, TEAGUE! And why Jared? Just why?? Lol, safe to say I bloody loved the third instalment of the Unfortunate Fairytale series and can't wait to read the next one! 5 resounding stars!

message 29: by K (last edited Aug 04, 2015 04:12PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 20. Mysteries of the Rainforest by Reader's Digest Association . I have this 5 stars. It is such an informative book with stunning photography right the way through.

message 30: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments Oops I missed some!

message 31: by K (last edited Aug 09, 2015 07:00PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 21. Submission (Torchwood Audio Drama, #6) by Ryan Scott . This one was really fun and spooky! 5 stars.

message 32: by K (last edited Aug 09, 2015 07:00PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 22. The House of the Dead (Torchwood Audio Drama, #7) by James Goss this one brought me to tears! 5 stars.

message 33: by K (last edited Aug 09, 2015 07:00PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 23. Dog Training The Gentle Modern Method by Russell Mitten . I love this book. I reference it often to teach my dogs new things. This is my first time reading it more thoroughly. 4 stars.

message 34: by K (last edited Aug 09, 2015 07:00PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 24. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton I gave this one 4 stars. It was a fun read, but I think the hype ruined the expectations of the novel. It is nowhere near as scandalous as it is made out to be. As I said, a bit of fun, though.

message 35: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 25. I finished Sweet Valley High Three Novels by Francine Pascal 2 stars. Not as much a fan now. But that's good, right? I have matured! Lol.

message 36: by K (last edited Aug 29, 2015 02:53AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 26. I read my book about chimpanzee behaviour a month or so back. Chimpanzees Social Climbers Of The Forest by Tamsin Constable I forgot to add it! I gave it 3 stars.

message 37: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 27. City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare I gave it 4 stars. There was only 1 reason I didn't give it 5. You can see that reason here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...
Be warned that it does contain a rather large spoiler.

message 38: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 28. Reign (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #4) by Chanda Hahn 5 stars. It was just so exciting and really gripping.

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70543 comments Mod
Good you're enjoying the series Kiera:)

message 40: by K (last edited Sep 12, 2015 12:59AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 29. Read the short story Silent Night (Silence, #3.5) by Natasha Preston . 3 Stars. No conflict at all to make the story interesting, just fluff.

message 41: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 30. Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth . I gave this 5 stars. Absolutely brilliant!

message 42: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 31. Backstage Pass (Sinners on Tour, #1) by Olivia Cunning . 5 stars. I'm surprised to give this 5 stars. I always thought "erotica" was really trashy (cue Fifty Shades. Bleck!). But this wasn't like that at all. It's characters were believable and had depth to them. Brian is very sweet and Myrna is realistically flawed. Great read!

message 43: by K (last edited Sep 23, 2015 04:11PM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 32. The Complete Adventures of Blinky Bill by Dorothy Wall . 3 stars. Fun. Not as good as some of the other classic Children's tales, though. Unlike May Gibbs, it appears that Ms. Wall didn't seem to bother to learn anything about Autralian animals before writing this. I know it's just a kids story, but so is Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. I just don't think it's on the same calibre as that.

message 44: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 33. 15 Minutes (The Rewind Agency #1) by Jill Cooper . 4 stars. Really fun.

message 45: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 34. Eureka Brain Box Blues (Eureka, #2) by Cris Ramsay . 3 stars. This was a light, fun read and I laughed out loud a few times. It stayed true to the TV series and its characters.

message 46: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 35. Second Hearts (Wishes, #2) by G.J. Walker-Smith . 5 heartbreaking stars.

message 47: by K (last edited Oct 08, 2015 08:24AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 36. Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding . I gave this three stars. Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 48: by K (last edited Oct 08, 2015 08:24AM) (new)

K | 1143 comments 37. Players, Bumps and Cocktail Sausages (Silence, #3) by Natasha Preston . 4 stars. This was the best in the series! I would definitely love to see another book in this series from Jasper's point of view. He is definitely the most interesting character out of them all. And his relationship with Holly is really sweet.

message 49: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 38. Sand Jewels (Wishes, #2.5) by G.J. Walker-Smith . I gave this five stars. Another beautiful story from this author!

message 50: by K (new)

K | 1143 comments 39. Atlas Of Unknowns by Tania James . I gave this 3 stars. Here's the link to my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

« previous 1