The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Fan Fiction, Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, I think who ever came up with the idea of Fan Fiction, is absolutely brilliant. Additionally I think, ‘Every reader would like to be a writer’ so, Fan Fiction will give a person the opportunity to dip their toes into the writing pool.

I would be thrilled if a reader wanted to continue one of my stories with their crossover take on events and characters. As a matter of fact, all anyone will have to do is contact me and I’ll set up a tab for Fan Fiction on my website. An exclusive place where a reader can post their Fan Fiction, receive comments and be encouraged to continue with their writing.

Anyone interested enough to write Fan Fiction should also consider publishing the writing they create on Amazon, something I highly recommend. My answer is YAY!

Ruth Ford Elward
Author of Diverse Mysteries

message 2: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5392 comments Mod
The Buffy the Vampire Slayer show spawned many many and varied fan fictions. It was indeed fun to imagine the characters in different situations.

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I worked with a guy named Tom for years, and he simply adore the show.

message 4: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 5 comments Im a YAY for fan fiction as well. I have actually published several stories on Amazon under the Kindle Worlds banner. I really think that's more "licensed fiction" than "fan fiction" but that's semantics. It's fun to play in other people's sandboxes from time to time. I never understand what people have against fan fiction anyway. (Well, unless an author just doesn't like people using their characters maybe.) Otherwise, if you don't like it, don't read it.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 50 comments I love it! A lot of it is bad BUT some is excellent

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez I don't read it, but I don't dismiss it. It gives people the chance to write, and I can't say anything against that lol

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian | 9 comments It's been quite awhile since I've participated in any kind of fan fiction. I think I wrote some Highlander stories back in the mid-nineties. I'm definitely in favor of it, though. I love the idea of an ever expanding universe where new people bring their own ideas to an already established storyline.

Amazon has something called Kindle Worlds that is similar to fan fiction, but gives authors the opportunity earn money with their stories. It's an interesting concept. There's worlds for Hugh Howey's Silo Saga, GI Joe, John Rain, and a few romance series that I'm less familiar with.

- Ian

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8557 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "I don't read it, but I don't dismiss it. It gives people the chance to write, and I can't say anything against that lol"

That's how I feel, exactly.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, this is great, thank you for commenting. It's interesting I posted this question within 3 different groups and this group had the most positive response.
I agree with all of you, especially Ian.
Writing is challenging, especially for the newbie. If fan fiction helps by giving someone a diving board to jump off of, for their voice and confidence, so be it.