Outread Aubrey! Challenge discussion

2015 Personal Goals

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the thread in which everyone should make personal reading goals for themselves. These are personal goals for your own self-motivation. There's no stakes in meeting or failing these goals (yet). We just want everyone to challenge themselves and share their goals so we can encourage each other, keep tabs on progress, and start bookish conversation.

You can make as many or as few goals as you'd like, and you can add to or change them throughout the year. Your goals can involve anything, but the more specific you are, the better! Remember, most good goals involve a concrete number and a time frame. I'd encourage you to write several small, detailed goals (like "read 10 science fiction books by the end of the year") instead of one general goal (like "read 100 books total this year"), but everything is permissible.

Here's some examples of the kinds of goals I'd like to see:

"Read 10 books written before 1900 by the end of the year."
"Read 3 books a week in February."
"Reread the entire Divergent series before the Insurgent movie comes out."

Ready, set... challenge!

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah Good | 236 comments My overall reading goal for the year is...

Read 60 books over the course of the year
Read at least 1 book every week
Read the Bible every day

I'll have to think about the more short term ones like you posted. Hmm.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lovelace (kingjon) | 89 comments One longstanding reading goal that I've failed at for the last several years is to get at least half-way through the first volume of the Institutes. (I have scarcely more than opened the book in years ... but I recently found my current page of notes, which is progress!)

I'll also set myself the goal to read each book the local chapter of the Mythopoeic Society discusses this year, whether I can make the meetings or not (the meetings are quasi-monthly on Saturday afternoons, and I have a class from 9 to 1 on Saturdays this semester).

Lastly, for now, I want to read less fanfiction (and "comfort reads" more generally, since part of why I've been reading so much fanfiction and so little else is that a few fanfics have replaced books like The Princess and the Goblin as my "comfort reads") than I have the last few years, since that's used up time and focus that would have been better spent either writing or working through the books on my bookshelf (to possibly get rid of some books to free up shelf space!). But unfortunately I can't think of any way to keep count or track of how much fanfic I read.

message 4: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 38 comments I want to read 100 books this year.
I intend to review all of the books on my kindle that are there for reviewing purposes. (This may require rereading)
Read at least twenty historical fictions, ten sci-fi's, and five contemporaries.

Can't think of any other goals off of the top of my head at the moment.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Daniels | 242 comments I want to make serious in-roads on my real-life, physical t0-read shelf. (Of which there are three.) There's currently, oh, 65 or more books on it. I told myself that if I manage to clear one shelf (shall we say 30 books?) then I'll reward myself with a trip to Half Price Books. Which defeats the purpose, I know. Since making this goal I've read about five books at the rate of one a day. But I started with the short ones so....we'll see. Anyway,that's the only specific goal I can think of since I read so much anyway and flit among genres. My overall reading goal for the year is 130, but mostly I'd like to read as many books as possible.

message 6: by Faith (new)

Faith (faithblum) | 173 comments My goal is to read 100 books this year.
Another goal is that most of those books will be non-fiction. Which means I'm already behind since I've finished 3 fiction and only started 1 non-fiction thus far. :P

message 7: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 7 comments My goal this year is to read as many classics (books written circa 1900 or before) as I read modern books. So far I'm close to keeping that, I just need to stay away from the library. Which is near impossible.

message 8: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 51 comments I have a goal to read 100 books this year. I also have a goal to read the 50 books on my physical to read shelf. Not doing so well so far, but we've been doing home improvement projects.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 215 comments I'm going for 160 this year and most of those will likely be fiction. I've also challenged myself to read 5 non-fiction books, my first audiobook, 24 library books, and (I think) 50 ebooks.
I'd like to read through the Bible this year and read three times as many books as I buy. Hopefully many of those will be my beloved 1900s fiction books, but many of the unread ones of those have been in boxes this year as I moved and now need bookshelves (or course I kept my favorites out...have to be able to reread often!); I've got several hundred books that need a shelf home. (Hooray tax refund season) Thus, you've seen a lot more recently-published books on my shelf lately, which was one of my goals from last year anyway...
And hopefully I can manage to get to Dallas with enough money in my pocket to grab a box full from Half Price Books!!

message 10: by M F (new)

M F  (fianaigecht) | 247 comments My goal is to read 75 books this year and to read at least one non-uni book per week (e.g. fiction that's just for fun). So far I've read more than one per week and I also know that if I succeed in doing that, I might well overtake my yearly goal, but it'll be a harder goal to meet because I'm prone to binge-reading and then not reading fiction for weeks.

So. I'm trying to make sure I feed my story brain with fun books even while drowning in uni books.

message 11: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth I don't seem to have trouble reading large numbers of books...it just happens. :) But I would like to nudge myself to keep exploring further into the classics. So I'll say I'd like to read at least two notable works of poetry this year, and three prose works that are considered classics or come from the pen of a great/classic author.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Those are all excellent goals! I like it that most of you are pushing yourself to either reach into new genres or clear out your physical shelves.

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (thewanderlyz) | 27 comments I set my 70 books as my goal for the year.
Of the 70, I think I'd like to read 10 biographies/autobiographies/memoirs/historical books, etc. (Any recommendations?) (That number may increase as the year goes by, of course.)

message 14: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Aubrey wrote: "Those are all excellent goals! I like it that most of you are pushing yourself to either reach into new genres or clear out your physical shelves."

Oh, speaking of shelves—you think sometime this spring we could do a real spring-cleaning challenge, like the one from last fall (I think) where the goal is to read books you've had sitting around forever? I could do with one of those! :)

message 15: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 215 comments Yes, I'd love that too.

message 16: by Bailey Marissa (new)

Bailey Marissa (baileymarissa) So now that I've had time to think, I'm setting my goal to 85 books. I want to do 10 non-fiction books and 8 manga.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

We certainly can! :) We did such a challenge last year, but it was in the fall.

message 18: by Rice (new)

Rice (ricec) | 4 comments My goals are to read...
10 Book Club Books
100 Novels
200 Stories (aka fanfiction, fictionpress, books, short stories, etc)

message 19: by (Jen) (new)

(Jen) The Artist Librarian (theartistlibrarian) | 72 comments Well, my library science classes have a ton of reading this semester (now it's feeling like grad school, LOL), so I'm not going to be able to hit a lot of casual reading other than remaining review responsibilities (which I really have to be selective on from here on out) and reader judge books I already committed myself to.

Goals:
--Goodreads goal of 55 novel sized books but after seeing everyone's goals, I'm switching it to 100 counting everything: comics, graphic novels, and picture books/easy readers (I'm taking Books & Media for Children) ... I can always reassess, right?
--Read stuff on my "to READ" shelf that I probably don't want to keep 'cause I need room! =)

message 20: by Joe (new)

Joe (yebard) | 34 comments I'm going to try and read more non fiction this year. That's about the only goal i have.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

My 2015 reading goal is 100 books, which is the same as I did last year, except that I'm actually trying to slow down and read more slowly than I did last year. Of those 100 books, I'm planning 50 of them to be regular length books, fiction or non-fiction. The other 50 will be illustrated children's books. I want to also comment on the art of each other those 50 books along with reading them.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, reviewing the art of books is a good creative goal. :)

message 23: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 14, 2016 01:46AM) (new)

Jonathan Garner (jonathangarner) | 39 comments One goal I have is to read 25 "classic" books this year. I am defining classic for my purposes as hugely popular books that have stood the test of time (such as The Lord of the Rings), as well as recent books that have a lot of critical acclaim and popularity (such as Unbroken).

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments My goal is to read 75 books this year and finish the Lord of the Rings series. (Can't believe I haven't yet!)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

(*whispers* I haven't yet either... maybe I'll join you in that one...)

message 26: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth How's everybody doing on their goals? So far I've logged one notable work of poetry, G.K. Chesterton's The Ballad of the White Horse, and for classics, The Warden by Anthony Trollope and Shakespeare's Macbeth.

message 27: by M F (new)

M F  (fianaigecht) | 247 comments I've more than surpassed my goal, I'm well past my 75 books already. I've been trying to keep the fiction / books for uni ratio fairly steady, and so far I think I've done okay with that.

message 28: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 215 comments Well, I've read more library books than I intended to already, so have upped my goal to 75 for now. I've "read" one audiobook and not started on my nonfiction at all. As for reading more of what I buy...well, once I subtract the library books from the year's total, I've actually fallen further behind. Ugh for irresistible dollar sales on books I want to read!

I got a new shelf yesterday (someone from church made it for me per my needed specifications, for the cost of materials...it's gorgeous!) and spent a delightful hour or so stuffing it full of homeless books from the top of my dresser and my closet. Now I need another one!

I've read almost 100 books already, and hope I can make it to 200 this year. I am newly addicted to Christian suspense from the likes of DiAnn Mills, Lisa Harris, Ronie Kendig, and more. I'm doing a pretty good job of branching out from just historicals and reading more contemporaries, especially from Susan May Warren and Becky Wade.

message 29: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth I just remembered about this thread, and thought I'd check back and see if I made my goals.

Two notable works of poetry?
The Ballad of the White Horse by G.K. Chesterton
"The Lady of Shalott" by Alfred Tennyson (also got stuck about halfway through his Idylls of the King)

Three classics/books written by a "great/classic" author?
The Warden by Anthony Trollope
Macbeth and Hamlet by William Shakespeare

I suppose I could also include Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald and Howards End by E.M. Forster in this category.

So I just made it!

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 215 comments Well, I bought library sale books, bargain shelf books, and then two boxes of rare classics from Half Price last week. And a few new releases throughout the year. Well...so I did not meet my goal. I will have to read 500 books this year to catch up!!

message 31: by Joel (new)

Joel Parisi (joelaparisi) | 21 comments I don't think I even realized this thread existed.... xD

My goal was to read at least 150 books last year (That's kinda small for me, but I didn't know how much time I'd have). I ended up reading 227. So I guess I succeeded, and had a lot more time on my hands than I expected xD

message 32: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 38 comments I want to read 100 books this year.
I dropped the goal to 75 half-way through October. I read 76.

I intend to review all of the books on my kindle that are there for reviewing purposes. (This may require rereading)
Ha! Hahahahaha!
I did finally finish reading one of the books I need to review. Now to finish sorting out my thoughts on it.

Read at least twenty historical fictions,
I think I succeeded in reading ... maybe five.

ten sci-fi's,
How 'bout ... two? Both of them INCREDIBLY short. Well, there was the Supervillain novel that could be considered kinda sci-fi. And the science textbook...

and five contemporaries.
I may have succeeded on this one. Do you consider the Mysterious Benedict Society and the Lemony Snicket books to be contemporary? If so, I did. If not. Oh well!

I also set up a goal mid-way through the year to read all of the physical books that I own. I made it about half-way through the books that I hadn't read yet. Need to finish that goal.