Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

Brown Girl Dreaming
This topic is about Brown Girl Dreaming
Newbery 2015 > 2015 Mock Newbery Award

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 558 comments Mod
Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson was the clear winner of our Mock Newbery.

It will be interesting to see how Brown Girl Dreaming does with the real awards since it was such a favorite of our group. Do you think it will win the 2015 Newbery award?

message 2: by Kristen (new)

You can vote for your first pick for an honor award here:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 3: by LauraW (last edited Jan 20, 2015 06:23PM) (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 107 comments I must be the only one who didn't care for it. It was ok, but didn't grab me. That said, I won't be surprised if it wins. I seldom pick the winner.

Jenni | 77 comments Laura, I feel the same way. I thought the story needed more. Maybe some narrative between the poems? I preferred The Crossover amongst all the books done in verse this year, and hope it doesn't get too overshadowed by BGD at the awards.

message 5: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev (grammag) | 15 comments I agree. I expect Brown Girl to win but Crossover was truly distinctive in its content and presentation. Iwas captivated both by the story and the characters. I sincerely hope that it will be recognized this year!

message 6: by Czechgirl (last edited Jan 22, 2015 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Czechgirl | 214 comments Jenni and Bev, I feel the same way that you do. 1) I expected Brown Girl to win, and I understand. The book was beautifully written. 2) However, Crossover is one of those books that comes ever once in a blue moon--well, the time came back when The One and Only Ivan came out. Crossover is even loved by my students, but Brown Girl dreaming wasn't. 3) I fear if Brown Girl Dreaming wins Newbery that Crossover will be looked over because both are written in free verse.

Jenni | 77 comments Czechgirl wrote: "Jenni and Bev, I feel the same way that you do. 1) I expected Brown Girl to win, and I understand. The book was beautifully written. 2) However, Crossover is one of those books that comes ever o..."

Yes! I have seen the same thing with our fourth graders participating in a Mock Newbery with our library system! Everyone is clamoring for the copies of The Crossover (even our reluctant boy readers) while BGD lingers on the chalk tray. It does not have the buzz at school that some of the other titles do. I also would not be surprised to see BGD win, and fear the committee will not want to give awards to two books written in verse featuring African American young people. I would love to see The Crossover cause an upset and capture the gold.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 49 comments In my opinion, the committee should hand out awards based on the merits of the books, not on whether they have too many books that are similar. If both books are deserving of an award, then both should be given an award, regardless of having similar writing styles and the ethnicity of the characters.

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 49 comments I have not read either Brown Girl Dreaming or Crossover, but if they are as good as everyone thinks, then they will probably both also receive Coretta Scott King awards or honors.

Reving | 106 comments I am a cynic. I think that neither Brown Girl Dreaming nor The Crossover will win. I think that they will get honors (I hope!!) but Newbery doesn't seem to appreciate diversity. It makes me so sad.
Woodson should have won for After Tupac and D Foster. Rita Gracia-Williams should have won for One Crazy Summer, I could go on and on.
Personally I think The Crossover is just a wee bit better than Brown Girl Dreaming, but if either wins I will be so happy, I will cry.
I hope, hope I am wrong.

Monica Edinger | 64 comments I teach 4th and think they are too young for BROWN GIRL DREAMING while not THE CROSSOVER so I'm not surprised Jenni's 4th grade Mock Newbery kids are leaving it sitting there. I see the audience as 6th and up. A friend has used it with great success with 8th graders. (Keep in mind that the Newbery is for kids all the through age 14 so that means kids almost 15.)

And having been on the Committee I need to remind you all that each committee is made up with a particular group of people. While I would have liked to see ONE CRAZY SUMMER get the medal, I had friends on that committee who loved it too and I'm sure that they worked hard together to come to consensus for the one they gave the gold to. I suggest reading my post (https://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/2...) for a better understanding of the award process.

Jenni | 77 comments Monica wrote: "I teach 4th and think they are too young for BROWN GIRL DREAMING while not THE CROSSOVER so I'm not surprised Jenni's 4th grade Mock Newbery kids are leaving it sitting there. I see the audience as..."

Thanks for the link. Both your post and the comments were interesting to read. It seems there is a common frustration with the wording around illustrations, as well as, the age range. Some years there seems to be an overlap with Newbery/Printz. Do they ever discuss changing the guidelines? Have there been many changes since they began giving the award?

Monica Edinger | 64 comments There's been some tweaking, but that is about it. When I was on the Committee the criteria stated:

.... Other aspects of a book are to be considered only if they distract from the text. Such other aspects might include illustrations, overall design of the book, etc.

Now it is:

... Other components of a book, such as illustrations, overall design of the book, etc., may be considered when they make the book less effective.

I've been campaigning for years for them to change this so that graphic novels would get a fairer shake. I don't want to see yet another award, but THIS one be more inclusive than it currently is in terms of form. (I posted this link on the El Deafo thread to my recent post advocating it under these criteria constrictions for the award: https://medinger.wordpress.com/2015/0...)

Also, I've a series, "Thoughts on Newbery" where I write about such issues.)

Monica Edinger | 64 comments Regarding the ages, Newbery goes up through age 14 and the Printz is for ages 12 and up. This is why there is occasional overlap. As for changing that for the Newbery, it seems unlikely as the award is under the auspices of the Association for Library Services for Children and their members tend to serve populations that go through age 14 and feel pretty strongly about the award being maintained for them. There was a look at changing it a few years back and the sentiment was fiercely against doing so because of this.

message 15: by Kristen (new)

The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier was the winner of our 2015 Mock Honor Award.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Should we vote for another honor book?

Czechgirl | 214 comments That would be fine with me, but one winner and one honor book is fine with me, also.

Czechgirl | 214 comments Kristen, is there a particular link which you post the Goodreads Mock winner and honor book winner?

message 19: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 49 comments I thoroughly enjoyed The Night Gardener, and I hope it gets a Newbery nod. The plot was involving and suspenseful, the characters sympathetic and interesting and the atmosphere creepy and chilling. Very well written with a different sort of supernatural horror.

Niki (Daydream Reader) | 55 comments Woot! I love The Night Gardener! It would be fun to vote for another honor book- why not?

message 21: by Kristen (last edited Jan 26, 2015 02:52AM) (new)

Czechgirl wrote: "Kristen, is there a particular link which you post the Goodreads Mock winner and honor book winner?"

No. I just highlight the books on the main Mock Newbery page. In the "Currently Reading" spot.

I have been thinking next year we will try to vote like the Newbery committee. Taking into account a first choice second choice using the point system they use.

I don't like the "majority rules" method. It's lacking in so many ways.

Claire | 5 comments I think it would be fun to vote for another honor book, particularly since the next few highest vote getters were so close together in the number of votes received. I wonder if that would happen again.

message 23: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess (jessmonster) | 80 comments I agree that it would be fun to vote like the committee next year - seeing the point spread with 4,3,2 points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd is interesting, and might eliminate the need for a second round of voting (unless things are close!)

Virginia (virginiap) | 32 comments I think if I'm going to pick a second Honor book, it would have to be The Fourteenth Goldfish. :)

Kristine (kristine_a) | 71 comments I agree, I want weighted voting like the real committee! We can email our choices in or use a Google form or something.

Josephine Sorrell (jothebookgirl) | 251 comments I just finished paper cowboy and now I'm all confused. What a great read, but saaaad.

Jenni | 77 comments SO EXCITED to see Crossover take the gold and El Deafo get recognized!! Nice job, committee!

Kristine (kristine_a) | 71 comments I just read Crossover yesterday and it jumped to the top of my Newbery hopes - so happy to see it get the gold!

Mary HD (marymaclan) | 96 comments I am THRILLED at the REAL Newbery results!

message 30: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina (noveltraveler) | 3 comments This is the first time in a long time that I've thought the results were balanced and diverse in their style and content. I haven't read The Crossover yet, but I'm picking it up this week and I loved Brown Girl Dreaming. As a former teacher of the hearing impaired, we used those Phonic Ears, so I'm happy for El Deafo as well.

message 31: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (erinelyse) | 60 comments Thrilled and admittedly surprised with the results...with so many great reads this year, I'm most surprised not to see more honors, but this is a groundbreaking year for the award. Nice job!

message 32: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 86 comments I was so excited watching the announcements this morning. The sigh in the audience when the announcer said there were only 2 honors made me laugh (but I was disappointed as well). I too feel that the all the awards were very balanced. I'm sorry I missed some of the titles last year, so I have some more to catch up on. Can't wait until we begin reading for 2016!! Kristen, no pressure, let's get it going!!

message 33: by Czechgirl (last edited Feb 02, 2015 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Czechgirl | 214 comments My class and I watched the Newbery Awards. Actually, we went on our merry business blogging until we saw the Newbery Awards were next, so I turned up the sound. My class (all low and reluctant readers) cheered so loudly when El Deafo and Crossover won. I did not read BGD to them, but Rain Reign instead. We later noticed that Rain Reign won another award. The committee did an outstanding job. Thank you so much, Kristen for putting this group together. I enjoyed the entire year of reading books published in 2014 and today was so fun. We didn't even care about the groundhog.

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Librarygarden wrote: "I was so excited watching the announcements this morning. The sigh in the audience when the announcer said there were only 2 honors made me laugh (but I was disappointed as well). I too feel that t..."

Lets start looking at 2016 titles now but begin our book of the month next month. We will get a few more published contenders out there this way.

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Czechgirl wrote: "My class and I watched the Newbery Awards. Actually, we went on our merry business blogging until we saw the Newbery Awards were next, so I turned up the sound. My class (all low and reluctant re..."

And thanks to all of you! I always say this is the best group of people on goodreads.

message 36: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim McGee (kimsbookstack) | 76 comments I think it is interesting that the books that received the biggest nods were the ones that pushed the envelope in their delivery. Books in prose were big this year and yet I still can't push books on poetry. I am having a tough time with "the Crossover" because of the prose but now must finish because I need to see if it lives up to the award.

message 37: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 86 comments Kristin, besides the obvious review publications how do you find books that have been recently released? I feel that I don't do enough professional reading, but browsing the public library "new" shelf and the bookstore do help. Any tips I'm sure would be appreciated by all.
This group as well as the Caldecott group has definitely helped keep on top of my reading! Thank you all!!

message 38: by Kristen (last edited Feb 05, 2015 08:16AM) (new)

Librarygarden wrote: "Kristin, besides the obvious review publications how do you find books that have been recently released? I feel that I don't do enough professional reading, but browsing the public library "new" sh..."

I get a lot of them from the members in this group. Everyone is watching for great authors to publish again, or reading books and letting us know which ones they liked. Everyone here helps keep this group in-the-know for quality books. I do hover over websites like the "Eva Perry Mock Newbery," "Heavy Medal", and "For Those About to Mock." Listopia, NetGalley, and ARC's from publishers help. Honestly though it's the great members of this group.

All I can say is thank you to you all.

message 39: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara | 35 comments Mr. Schu (teacher librarian), @mrschureads on Twitter, and 3rd grade teacher Colby Sharp, @colbysharp on Twitter, are great sources of new book recommendations. They feature a lot of ARCs on their blogs: http://mrcolbysharp.com and http://mrschureads.blogspot.com/?m=1

Stephanie (teff1979) | 3 comments this book is on my pile to read! Maybe I will read this one next....I am so far behind on my reading