The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Characters on screen are different than my brain!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

L.C.E.H.F. Isn't it weird how you imagine what the characters voices sound like in the book and then they look and sound entirely different? Like with Cinna. I thought he would be white I know that's kind of racist but come on its how we think right? Or is it just me?

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I'm with you on that. I was thinking maybe skinny, too. With really long white hair. Not like an old kind of white, but a bleach blond kind of white.

A.J. Yeah, I always pictured cinna as black.

Dramapuppy I can never picture characters. If they have a similar name to anyone I know, I automatically picture that person. So Grover from Percy Jackson is forever a blue muppet ;)

Anyway, I actually looked up all the actors before I read the book so I would be able to picture them. And I'm never upset when people look different in the movie because I don't have a clear image in my head. The picture is usually of things, with faces blurry or obscured.

Caroline Well, this didn't really bother me so much in THG, but that may be because I saw the first movie before I read the books. When it's the other way around, I do feel a bit alienated from the story until I get used to the characters looking completely different. Best case in point here is Game of Thrones - absolutely none of the characters looked like I had imagined them except Khal Drogo.

AgCl i was more bothered with peeta in the first movie, i don't know about everyone else but i thought Haymitch (Woody Harrelson) looked more the part with the blue eyes, blond hair thing (ok maybe more like an old Peeta) than Josh Hutcherson, he just looked kinda awkward. For the sequels it was more the portrayal rather than the looks that bugged me, because some of the actors just had a different way of playing the character than what i thought in my head.

Sparrowlicious Ah, but isn't that the same for every movie adaption? Even if they nail it quite closely.

Can't really say anymore with Cinna but when I saw the movie, I know I just thought 'ah, well, this works for me' because I'm not so good at thinking about what a character looks like but what they, err 'feel' like. You know, how their personality is. The actor who plays Cinna did a really great job at it.

Filippa Dramapuppy wrote: "I can never picture characters. If they have a similar name to anyone I know, I automatically picture that person. So Grover from Percy Jackson is forever a blue muppet ;)

Anyway, I actually looke..."

Yeah, I agree, I rarely picture people, I'm better at places. Like the glade in TMR or Katniss house in THG. The only people that I picture are people which I relate to me, like Annabeth from Percy Jackson. One thing though is that if I see a drawing that someone has done of a book person, I can say if I think the person looks like that or not.

A.J. How can you not picture people!?!?!?! That is half the fun of reading!! Getting to picture everything, that is why I hate to see a picture of what the person is suppose to look like before I read the book. I love to picture them on my own.

Dramapuppy A.J. wrote: "How can you not picture people!?!?!?! That is half the fun of reading!! Getting to picture everything, that is why I hate to see a picture of what the person is suppose to look like before I read t..."

Well, the human brain cannot conjure faces. So if you're picturing a someone you don't know, you HAVE seen that person SOMEWHERE before. And anyhow, I have problems with facial recognition. It makes it difficult to picture people. Can't speak for others, though. I probably would picture people if I could ;)