Addicted to Ink discussion

General > Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace (graceisinspace) | 160 comments So I was just thinking we should have a discussion to recommend books to each other. So comment books/authors that you enjoy :)

message 2: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (starkovalina) | 539 comments Mod
I basically recommend Throne of Glass to everyone and the first 3 books in the series just so happen to be our read-along books for next month ;)

message 3: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (starkovalina) | 539 comments Mod
Dystopia28 wrote: "Yeah I'm so excited for that read-along! I've been meaning to read Throne of Glass for so long."

I hope you (and everyone else participating) enjoy it!

message 4: by Marcella (new)

Marcella | 36 comments Alexandria wrote: "I basically recommend Throne of Glass to everyone and the first 3 books in the series just so happen to be our read-along books for next month ;)"

I second this recommendation ! Throne of Glass series is definitely amazing ^.^
I also love and recommend the Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead

message 5: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Gah, Throne of Glass is my favorite, Sarah J. Maas is a writing goddess hehe

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The Gone series by Michael Grant holds a special place in my heart, it's the first series I ever really got into. So so good!

message 7: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Uhlenhaker Any and all Libba Bray!

message 8: by Aisha (new)

Aisha (aisha_i) Maybe a Lord of the Rings and Hobbit read a long? Like a book a month or something. I haven't read any adult books in forever. Or maybe some Rainbow Rowell. I've only read Fangirl (i know, embarassing right?)

lil' Lily [ filled with DETERMINATION ] (runelily) Hey, I really love Eoin Colfer's books, there all AMAZING, but now I need another book to read. I intend to read throne of glass, so if there are any other suggestions...? Thx! :D

lil' Lily [ filled with DETERMINATION ] (runelily) Oh yeah! Ive seen that series at my library before, just wasnt really how good it was. Ill make sure I pick it up next time! Thanks a lot!

message 11: by Colette (new)

Colette | 27 comments Try the Darkly Fae series of novellas by Tera Lynn Childs. The first is out now and called When Magic Sleeps. They are fun, quick reads!

message 12: by Athena (new)

Athena Rose (athenar0se) | 5 comments For anyone who needs a good pick-me-up book all of Stephanie Perkins books are amazing!

message 13: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Cosh (chelseycosh) I mentioned this is an another post, but I would love to suggest my book Shannon Hollow for this club to read. I said it before and I'll say it again; you guys have wonderful feedback and I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

message 14: by Viola (new)

Viola | 35 comments Ronia wrote: "Hey, I really love Eoin Colfer's books"

If you're referring to the Artemis Fowl books, I can recommend Jonathan Stroud's The Amulet of Samarkand and Brandon Sanderson's Steelheart. Or if you're interested in grown-up fantasy thieves The Lies of Locke Lamora =)

message 15: by Viola (new)

Viola | 35 comments Hey there, I need your help!
I'm desperately in need of some books with awesome male leads (as in main character), because even though I love my kickass heroines I kind of miss strong male POVs. Anything you can recommend?

message 16: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Cosh (chelseycosh) Vio wrote: "Hey there, I need your help!
I'm desperately in need of some books with awesome male leads (as in main character), because even though I love my kickass heroines I kind of miss strong male POVs. A..."

Well, there's Mikael Blomkvist from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Jean Valjean from Les Misérables, Pi Patel from Life of Pi, Nick Dunne from Gone Girl, Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride, Sherlock Holmes from The Treasury of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, Jay Gatsby from The Great Gatsby, Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird, Wyatt Westerberg from my book Shannon Hollow...

There are so many, and such a variety of perspectives. For one, strong male characters aren't necessarily the good, nice, sweet people. Rather, they're simply strong. And what is strong? Even the word strong is subjective. What you find weak, I might find strong. What you find strong, I might find weak.

It's really hard to call. Any specific genres you're thinking of reading?

message 17: by Viola (new)

Viola | 35 comments The most of your suggested books I've read. And by "strong male leads" I mean books that are written IN the PERSPECTIVE of a BOY/ MAN whose purpose is more than to exist only as a love interest for the female main character.

message 18: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Cosh (chelseycosh) Chelsey wrote: "Vio wrote: "Hey there, I need your help!
I'm desperately in need of some books with awesome male leads (as in main character), because even though I love my kickass heroines I kind of miss strong ..."

Well, The Great Gatsby is out. Life of Pi is probably your best bet out of what I've already mentioned. However, Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West, Fight Club, Trainspotting, and pretty much anything by Elmore Leonard may strike your fancy.

message 19: by KC125 (last edited Apr 05, 2015 09:28PM) (new)

KC125 | 6 comments Gotta recommend A Voice in the Wind. Never thought a book could change me like this one did. Rivers really got it right. Hope you all will take some time for this one.
Also I'm seeing a lot of talk about male leads. This book has a split point of view, including two male protagonists, one of whom became my favorite male narrator ever.

message 20: by KC125 (last edited Apr 05, 2015 09:31PM) (new)

KC125 | 6 comments Vio wrote: "The most of your suggested books I've read. And by "strong male leads" I mean books that are written IN the PERSPECTIVE of a BOY/ MAN whose purpose is more than to exist only as a love interest for..."

Know how you feel, check out my post above

message 21: by Viola (new)

Viola | 35 comments KC125 wrote: "Know how you feel, check out my post above "

Thank you!

message 22: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Vio wrote: "The most of your suggested books I've read. And by "strong male leads" I mean books that are written IN the PERSPECTIVE of a BOY/ MAN whose purpose is more than to exist only as a love interest for..."

Hmmm... Male leads... I really like Eragon in Eragon, Percy from l The Percy Jackson series, Nathaniel from The Amulet of Samarkand, and Richard from Wizards First Rule.

Also, The Raven Boys has alternating POVs and you'll fall in love with every single boy :3

message 23: by Aliya (new)

Aliya (aquamarine06) I totally recommend Dorothy Must Die, along with the Legend trilogy, and the Across the Universe trilogy. Then there's the Percy Jackson books...those are life. If you haven't read them yet get out from under your rock and READ THEM!!!

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Darrow (michaeldarrow) | 3 comments One thing that comes to mind right now is the "TimeRiders" by Alex Scarrow. It's a truly spectacular YA sci-fi epic tale of time travel.

It's really TOP-NOTCH stuff and there's SO MUCH going on in the story. Scarrow's "TimeRiders" books are among the best time travel stories that I've ever read.

However, I MUST note that the final five books in the series have yet to be released in the United States and the series could really use more people reading it.

So, I humbly recommend it that you fine people give the whichever "TimeReaders" books you can find a read sometime! And should you enjoy them, PLEASE spread the word.

🐢Eliza {Bat Tziyon}🌸 (bat_tziyon18) | 2 comments For anyone who enjoys good science fiction, I'd totally recommend to read Way Station by Clifford Simak! I loved that book from beginning to end. Great plot, interesting characters, and a real deep meaning behind it all.

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) I'm in love with A Court of Thorns and Roses. If you didn't get a chance to read it last month with the group, you should pick it up if you're into that sort of thing.

message 27: by zach (new)

zach (zachb) | 22 comments I would recommend Burn for Burn trilogy by Jenny Han, it was the first Jenny Han's book that I read and it was amazing and different..in a good way. And another book that I would recommend is Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, I love this book so much they should make a movie out of it.

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda Klinedinst (linda_klinedinst) I would highly recommend The Defy Series by Sara B. Larso. This series is so good. I am reading Book #2 which is called Ignite and this is so very good. I can't hardly put this book down.

There are three books to this series so far and the third book is coming out sometime soon.

Happy Reading Everyone :)

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I would say that you need to check out at lest Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1) by A.W. Exley ,just read it and it's book in a four or five completed series, loved it .

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (katthedirewolf) | 9 comments Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson.

message 31: by daisy (new)

daisy (coburn) | 14 comments We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach and Solitaire by Alice Oseman are two of my absolute favourites! xx

message 32: by JumbleofJargon (last edited Sep 13, 2015 11:48PM) (new)

JumbleofJargon | 15 comments I think there is something for everyone in this list. These are a few of my favorites, so hopefully one appeals to you =).

Vicious by V.E. Schwab
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Fangirl by Rainbow Romwell
The Gallagher Girls Series by Ally Carter (seriously underated)
The Goose Girl Series by Shannon Hale (also seriously underated)
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
Shatter Me Trilogy by Tahereh Mafi
The Darkest Minds Trilogy by Alexandra Bracken
MAybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
Slammed by Colleen Hover
Nineteen Minute by Jodi Piccoult
Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
The Anybodies by N.E. Bode
The Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol Douglas | 6 comments Honor by Elif Shafak
Hild by Nicola Griffith

Loved the Kite Runner suggestion

message 34: by JumbleofJargon (new)

JumbleofJargon | 15 comments Thanks! Khaled Hosseini is such an incredible author!

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth My 2 all time favorite authors are James Rollinsand Clive Cussler.Ialso love read Kathy Reichs

message 36: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Melo (nicolejmelo) | 7 comments I need a pick-me-up read that isn't Stephanie Perkins, Rainbow Rowell or Jenny Han! Any recommendations? :D

message 37: by Pippi (new)

Pippi For mystery lovers,I love Agatha Christie!Especially the Death on the Nile ,Cat Among the Pigeons and After the Funeral.Also the ABC Murders is exciting as well.