Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived Challenges > February 2015 Challenge: Dedicated to the One You Love

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Do you always read the dedications in your books before you start? If so, this challenge will be a breeze! If not, just pick one and do the Spell-It-Out the old fashioned way.

DURATION:   February, 2015

LEVELS:  
1-2 - Easy
3-5 - Medium
6-9 - Harder
10 or more - Hardest
RULES:   Several options this time. 1.) Decide on the name of the person, or persons, you’d love to dedicate a book to - if you ever write one - and spell it out. 2.) Or choose one of your favorite dedications and go with the name from that. 3.) Or choose a current book you plan to read, and spell out the person’s name within that dedication. 4.) Or spell out the name of your book-crush or movie-crush.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR THIS CHALLENGE: Usually for Spell-It-Outs, you read books with titles, series names, authors (first or last name), character (first or last name), that begin with letters that correspond to letters of the word you choose. You may ignore the indefinite and definite articles (a, an, the, etc.). However, this time, if you wish, you may spell out your words by using the first letter of the dedication, or the name of the person to whom the book is dedicated. You may ignore prepositions, “to” or “for,” if you desire.

To clarify, with a dedication such as “To my grandmother, Annie…” you may choose the “M,” “G,” or “A.”

You may use the dedication to spell out the whole word, or just as an additional option. Using the dedication for the Spell-It-Out, is NOT mandatory.
Example of Spell-It-Out Using Dedications - Using the first letter in the dedications, or the intended word without the prepositions.
C. - “...Cheyenne, and the memory of a Frappucino summer...” - dedication in
        An Offer From a Gentleman, by Julia Quinn
O. - “...ones who are not longer here...” - dedication in
        How to Dance with a Duke, by Manda Collins
L. - “...lovely ladies of Loose-Hipped Book Club of Cashmere...” - dedication in
        Behind His Blue Eyes, by Kaki Warner
I. - In the vastness of space and immensity of time, it is my joy to spend
        a planet and an epoch with Annie.”
- dedication in
        Cosmos, by Carl Sagan
N. - “…my new computer: I don’t care if it is compudultery, I love you more
        than my old computer...”
- dedication in
        Friends Without Benefits, by Penny Reid
An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3) by Julia Quinn How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1) by Manda Collins Behind His Blue Eyes (Heroes of Heartbreak Creek, #1) by Kaki Warner Cosmos by Carl Sagan Friends Without Benefits (Knitting in the City, #2) by Penny Reid
Check out Add a Book & Bookcover Link, if you need to know how.
Helpful Hint: - If you read most of your books on Kindle, they usually starts the book at the first chapter. To see the dedication, you’ll have to go back a bit. Or even, for some, ask a friend with the paperback.

Key to Dedications Posted Here - If you can’t read all the pics, they are under this spoiler, to save space:
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Feb 27, 2015 09:17AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments
Blinkie Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Amanda 04/04 - Done! Congrats!
Arshiya 00/??
CaroB 02/06
Chris 04/04 - Done! Congrats!
Christine 00/06
Holli 07/09
Jennifer 00/06
Jonquil 11/11 - Done! Congrats!
♥KathyD♥ 09/09 - Done! Congrats!
Kme_17 00/15
Kritika 05/05 - Done! Congrats!
Lara 03/04
Lisa Kay 08/08 - Done! Congrats!
Maggie 00/10
Margaret 00/06
Maritza 02/05
Martha 00/05
Noorilhuda 00/03
Nour El Houda 01/03
Patty 00/08
Trea 22/22 - Done! Congrats!

message 3: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 4: by btwthesepages (new)

btwthesepages | 43 comments Wow. This challenge was made for me. I love reading the dedications! I even read the Acknowledgements :P

Reserving this spot :D

message 5: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Me, too, Arshiya! I always read them. Welcome to the challenge. :o)

message 6: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (last edited Feb 27, 2015 07:34AM) (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments If I was to ever write a book, I would dedicate it to my Mom, my husband, and my kids...so lots of reading this month!

February 2015 Challenge: Dedicated to the One You Love
Duration: 1st February - 28th February
Level: Hardest
Read: 22/22

C- California Sunset by Casey Dawes-2/18/15
A- A writer is nothing without her fans…” Moon's Flower by Marie Hall-2/11/15
T- Time Thief by Anna Hackett-2/21/15
H- Hidden by Kendra Elliot-2/10/15
Y- “This book is dedicated to everyone who was willing to take a chance on me throughout the years.” Playing for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson-2/24/15

C- Cards & Caravans by Cindy Spencer Pape-2/20/15
H- “…for three-hour lunches (when we should be writing)…” Almost Perfect by Julie Ortolon-2/14/15
R- Reckless Heart by Amy Clipston-2/27/15
I- In loving memory of my beloved Dad, Vittorio Cotto, a strong and compassionate WWII veteran, a glorious chef, and most importantly, my warm and lovable father.” Grill Me, Baby by Sophia Knightly-2/19/15
S- Stone and Earth by Cindy Spencer Pape-2/5/15

C- “…We’ve come a long way together, Clay.” A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught-2/2/15
H- “Your passion to save lives after a harrowing experience…” The Kissing Bridge by Tricia Goyer-2/25/15
R- The Newcomer by Robyn Carr-2/7/15
Y- "...Yup, these great heroes are real, folks-..." Strange Neighbors by Ashlyn Chase-2/11/15
S- Serving Up a Sweetheart: A February Wedding Story by Cheryl Wyatt-2/11/15

P- Play with Me by Lisa Renee Jones-2/4/15
A- Mardi Gras by Lacey Alexander-2/2/15
T- True Devotion by Dee Henderson-2/6/15
R- Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare-2/15/15
I- “For the big brown dog, in loving memory.” Say Yes to the Marquess by Tessa Dare-2/17/15
C- Cinder & Ella by Kelly Oram-2/3/15
K- “…find the strength to keep on keepin’ on.” Fire Inside by Kristen Ashley-2/26/15

message 7: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Trea!

message 8: by Margaret (last edited Jan 20, 2015 01:41PM) (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Oh what a wonderful idea for a challenge!! I'm in and, I am dedicating this challenge to my husband <3 It is our 26th Wedding Anniversary today too!!

Level: Harder (6-9 books)

Books Read = 0 / 6

N:
O:
R:
M:
A:
N:

message 10: by Chris (last edited Feb 21, 2015 07:58PM) (new)

message 11: by Nour El Houda (last edited Jan 20, 2015 02:52PM) (new)

Nour El Houda Ziani (nordsus) | 80 comments OMG I love this, I am in <3

message 12: by Maritza (last edited Feb 10, 2015 10:00AM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 92 comments for

BOOKS READ - 2 / 5

E - Edward Cullen... - dedication from Last Call read 02/05/2015****
D
W - to my wonderful parents... dedication from read 02/09/2015**
I - I hope you enjoy your angel's wings as you lovingly look after your family from Heaven - dedication from When Day Breaks read 02/01/2015*****
N

Last Call (Cocktail, #4.5) by Alice Clayton When Day Breaks (KGI, #9) by Maya Banks Second Honeymoon (Honeymoon, #2) by James Patterson

message 13: by Lara (last edited Feb 14, 2015 07:05PM) (new)

Lara | 2335 comments I'm in too!

A Ansel in Dirty Rowdy Thing 2/14
D Daisy in The Ugly Duchess 2/3
A
M Moira Rogers, author of Crux 2/7

Thank you for being there all this time.

READ: 3/4
The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) by Eloisa James Crux (Southern Arcana, #1) by Moira Rogers Dirty Rowdy Thing (Wild Seasons, #2) by Christina Lauren

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennburnett83) | 1 comments My dedication would be to my family...
F:
A:
M:
I:
L:
Y:
Going to have to do some looking in "To Read" list for this month...Anyone have a printed version of 'The Reformed Vampire Support Group' By Catherine Jinks...reading it on Kindle so it doesn't show a dedication :(

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Jennifer wrote: "Anyone have a printed version of 'The Reformed Vampire Support Group' By Catherine Jinks...reading it on Kindle so it doesn't show a dedication :( ..."

Jennifer, the dedication reads:
To Claire Haywood—your training really put me on the right track.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Margaret!

message 17: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Margaret, Martha, Kim, Chris, Houda, Maritza, Lara, and Jennifer!

message 18: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Jan 21, 2015 05:59PM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 96 comments i'm in...dedicated with love to my mom and dad...
*i revised a bit! :)

Completed — 0/9!
M
O
M

A
N
D

D
A
D

message 19: by Margaret (last edited Jan 20, 2015 06:18PM) (new)

Margaret | 93 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Margaret! "

Aww... thank you Lisa Kay!

message 20: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Kathy!

message 21: by Kritika (last edited Feb 27, 2015 07:43AM) (new)

Kritika | 106 comments February 2015 Challenge: Dedicated to the One You Love

Duration: Feb, '15

Level: Medium - 3-5

Read : 5/5

D - Divorced, Desperate and Delicious Divorced, Desperate and Delicious (Divorced, #1) by Christie Craig
A - Adite Banerjie The Indian Tycoon's Marriage Deal by Adite Banerjie
M - "For my parents, who.." She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not by Zeenat Mahal
O - Open Season Open Season by Linda Howard
N - "To my lovely daughter, Nicoya,.." The Doctor's Secret Bride by Ana E. Ross

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Nour El Houda (new)

Nour El Houda Ziani (nordsus) | 80 comments Kritika wrote: "Sign me up for medium.

D
A
M
O
N

(Damon Salvatore, my crush, a character played by Ian Somerhalder in The Vampire Diaries)"

OMG I love Damon he's my favorite character, ah good idea, maybe I'll spell Peeta's name :)

message 23: by Nour El Houda (new)

Nour El Houda Ziani (nordsus) | 80 comments Winter (Online Elf) wrote: "Welcome to the challenge, Margaret, Martha, Kim, Chris, Houda, Maritza, Lara, and Jennifer!"

Thank you :)

message 24: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Ummm.... I couldn't help but be intrigued. I always read the dedications and I got excited that there was a challenge devoted to them. But... I haven't done a challenge, in... umm.... a very long time. Still...
*cautiously raises hand*
*whispers* ok, I'm in.
*runs away*

message 25: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Kritika and CaroB!

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yay! Ooops! **changes to a whisper** CaroB is back! **silently throws confetti**

message 27: by Noorilhuda (new)

Noorilhuda | 27 comments This looks like fun but was difficult to figure out! Thanks Winter O. Elf, I'm going to keep it simple though because I have other book- read commitments in other groups and don't want to fall behind!

Dedication is to abu (dad) and his full name is a tad lengthy (Abdul Basir Qureshi) so instead of working around either of those, am going to go with the simple D-A-D:

D - The Death of Ivan Ilych by Tolstoy

A - Allegiant Allegiant by Veronica Roth

D - dedication to 'dad' City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (his dedication to his father in 5 volumes of the 'Otherland' series is pretty funny)

Here it is:

“This Book is dedicated to my father Joseph Hill Evans with love.
Actually Dad doesn’t read fiction, so if someone doesn’t tell him about this, he’ll never know.”

“This Book is dedicated to my father Joseph Hill Evans with love.
As I said before, Dad doesn’t read fiction. He still hasn’t noticed that this thing is dedicated to him. This is Volume Two – let’s see how many more until he catches on.”

“This is still dedicated to you-know-who, even if he doesn’t.
Maybe we can keep this a secret all the way to the final volume.”

“My father still hasn’t actually cracked any of the books – so, no, he still hasn’t noticed. I think I’m just going to have to tell him. Maybe I should break it to him gently.

“Everyone here who hasn’t had a book dedicated to them, take three steps forward. Whoops, Dad, hang on there for a second…”

message 28: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Noorilhuda!

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments CaroB wrote: "Ummm.... I couldn't help but be intrigued. I always read the dedications and I got excited that there was a challenge devoted to them. But... I haven't done a challenge, in... umm.... a very long t..."

Yaaay ! Missed you ,CaroB!

message 30: by Holli (last edited Mar 01, 2015 12:47AM) (new)

Holli | 69 comments I'm in also.

Level: Harder
Read: 9/9

B: Brisbane, Grace (main character), Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater
E: Erin Grayson (main character), Master of the Night, Angela Knight
V: Veronica Andrews (main character), The Man Within, Lora Leigh
E: Elantris, Brandon Sanderson
R: Reaper's Property, Joanna Wylde
L: Last of the Breed, Louis L'Amour
Y: Two Year Novel Course: Set 1, Lazette Gifford

&

J: James Dashner, The Kill Order
R: Randy A. Brown, Sharp Cheetah's 203 Tips for Writing Fiction

My Mom and Dad, who helped me in becoming an avid reader. In their own ways, they helped me work with the "speed bumps" of ADHD and dyslexia to develop a lifetime love of reading in a wealth of subjects and genres.

message 31: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Holli!

message 32: by Patty (new)

Patty (plv77) | 56 comments I'm in

Read: 0/8

I'd dedicate it to:

M
Y

F
A
M
I
L
Y

message 33: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Patty!

message 34: by Amanda (last edited Feb 21, 2015 07:40PM) (new)

Amanda Sorrasson (amandaduce) | 12 comments I'm in.

If I were to ever write a book I would dedicate it to my nan Rena ♥

4/4

R Rock Chick 21.2.15
E Easy 17.2.15
N Nauti Enchantress 16.2.15
A All He Ever Needed 7.2.15

message 35: by Lina (last edited Feb 14, 2015 04:54PM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments RLftCI: Monthly Challenges - February 2015 Dedicated to the One You Love
Read: 2/6

I'd dedicate it to my brother Carlos

C
A
Rainy Kaye: read 02-Feb
Linda Needham et al: 04-Feb
O
S

1. For Rainy Kaye: Not sure what I can pos­si­bly say that you couldn’t just guess on your own, but I sup­pose that’s why you get to be in my ded­i­ca­tions. Come, the Dark: Cordovae's Journey

2. To my four fel­low Rogue Au­thors
Vic­to­ria Alexan­der, Susan An­der­sen, Patti Berg, and Linda Need­ham
I wouldn't stay sane with­out you.
With much love,
SL
The Ideal Bride

message 36: by Jonquil (last edited Feb 21, 2015 09:31PM) (new)

Jonquil | 48 comments Gene Roddenberry, whose groundbreaking (now cheesy and tame) Star Trek series inadvertently made many nerds of my generation believe in possibilities. In 8th grade, Sr. Mary Clara made us write our autobiography and I dedicated it to Roddenberry.
(this is the most I've ever shared on goodreads--CaroB, will you kindly share your hiding spot with me?)

11/11 DONE

R...absolute best research assistant Her Perfect Mate 2/8
O The One That Got Away 2/13
dedication: To all the people that fought back.
D my daughter Sarah Martin
Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds 2/6
D Derek
the dedication is a page-long list, so I'm going with "Derek" Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues 2/1
E for kristin nelson literary agent extraordinaire
All Fall Down 2/1
N To Tyler, Kevin, Pilar, Christian, Alex, Brent, Jordan, Scott & Nathan
The Spy Who Totally Had a Crush on Me 2/2
B for Benjamin
Every Boy's Got One 2/2
E To Ellen
Zodiac 2/11
R to my dad Russell E. Burks Sr.
Haunted Moon 2/21
R To Rob, a man of honor 2/19
Under Fire
Y to my husband Jim LeClair, thank you for holding my hand and my heart for the last thirty-three years.
If the Shoe Fits 2/8

All Fall Down (Embassy Row, #1) by Ally Carter Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues by Randall Peffer Every Boy's Got One (Boy, #3) by Meg Cabot

message 37: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Jonquil wrote: "Gene Roddenberry, whose groundbreaking (now cheesy and tame) Star Trek series inadvertently made many nerds of my generation believe in possibilities. In 8th grade, Sr. Mary Clara made us write our..."

Don't run and hide, Jonquil! I'm a huge Trekkie too! In the Hot Tea thread for January, I post my story of how I came to love Earl Grey Tea, all thanks to Star Trek Next Gen!

message 38: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 48 comments Trea wrote: "Jonquil wrote: "Gene Roddenberry, whose groundbreaking (now cheesy and tame) Star Trek series inadvertently made many nerds of my generation believe in possibilities. In 8th grade, Sr. Mary Clara m..."

Climbs out from under desk (it's really dusty under there).

As I read your post I flashed on "Earl Grey, hot." As I head home, I will search for the location of my parked car a few minutes from now and may forget to take my scarf, but I remember Picard in front of a replicator--not sure if that's scary good or scary bad. I watched Star Trek on a TV with aluminum foil on a broken antenna in a neighborhood the NYC police avoided, but Star Trek fed a tiny ember in my soul that made me hope the quietest of hopes that we would survive the sixties and maybe, just maybe, things would improve.
Thanks for sharing, Trea, it's a good thing Winter (Online Elf) has a soft spot for things like this. Heading home to sand drywall.

message 39: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Jonquil wrote: "As I read your post I flashed on "Earl Grey, hot." As I head home, I will search for the location of my parked car a few minutes from now and may forget to take my scarf, but I remember Picard in front of a replicator--not sure if that's scary good or scary bad. I watched Star Trek on a TV with aluminum foil on a broken antenna in a neighborhood the NYC police avoided, but Star Trek fed a tiny ember in my soul that made me hope the quietest of hopes that we would survive the sixties and maybe, just maybe, things would improve.
Thanks for sharing, Trea, it's a good thing Winter (Online Elf) has a soft spot for things like this. Heading home to sand drywall."

I think Trek did that for a lot of people, Jonquil, and that's what made it so unique of a show. While I dislike what the franchise itself has become, I still enjoy what the show once was.

message 40: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Amanda and Jonquil!

Updated your link and goal, CaroB. :o)

message 41: by Maggie (last edited Mar 01, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Maggie (magzzzz) | 34 comments February 2015 Challenge: Dedicated to the One You Love
Read: 9/10

Chris Pratt:

C: Perfect Mate by:Mina Carter 2/28 ****
H: Her Grizzly Outlaw 2/15 *
R: Rough Justice 2/15 ****
I: Witness in Death (In Death series) 2/28 ****
S: Lick by:Kylie Scott 2/4 ****

P: Precarious
R: Razer's Ride 2/18 *****
A: Axel 2/2 ****
T: Touching Ice 2/2 ****
T: Time and Time Again 2/15 ***

To Read:
Precarious (Jokers' Wrath MC, #1) by Bella Jewel

Finished:
Axel (Corps Security, #1) by Harper Sloan Touching Ice (Cyborg Seduction, #4) by Laurann Dohner Lick (Stage Dive, #1) by Kylie Scott Rough Justice (Sinner's Tribe Motorcycle Club, #1) by Sarah Castille Her Grizzly Outlaw (The Grizzly MC, #8) by Jenika Snow Time and Time Again (Maybe, #2.5) by Chantal Fernando Razer's Ride by Jamie Begley Witness in Death (In Death, #10) by J.D. Robb Perfect Mate (Project Rebellion, #1) by Mina Carter

message 42: by Christine (last edited Feb 01, 2015 03:24PM) (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 64 comments I'm in.

Level medium
6 books

Rules 3.)

Dedication is from The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack

To

My

Father

Michael

John

Hodder

F Faith Hunter Death's Rival
a Adi Alsaid Let's Get Lost
t
h Hodder Mark The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack
e The Eternity Cure
r The Rook

message 43: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Welcome to the challenge, Maggie & Christine!

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I wish I could figure out my word. Maybe M.O.T.H.E.R. I got the "O," but don't know if I can get the "H."

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Does anyone have the paperback edition of Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism, #4) by Jill Shalvis and can give me the dedication? I'm listening to the audio. Thanks!

message 46: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Does anyone have the paperback edition of Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism, #4) by Jill Shalvis and can give me the dedication? I'm listening to the audio. Thanks!"

According to the Kindle copy, there is no dedication. I went all the way back to the title page, and nada.

Also, did you see that the GR page for it has a little book with a preview link next to it under the "want to read" and Rating stars? It pulls up the Kindle copy and you can then scroll back to find the dedications on most books from there. It's how I got a bunch of mine done!

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I saw that, Trea. That's why I wanted to know if anyone had the paperback. But...thanks!

message 48: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments I thought I had it, but the book I have is Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2) by Jill Shalvis . Oh well.

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I guess I'll have to make a trip to the bookstore. What a hardship. **sigh** (view spoiler)

message 50: by Nour El Houda (new)

Nour El Houda Ziani (nordsus) | 80 comments February 2015 Challenge: Dedicated to the One You Love
Level: Medium
Read:
0/3
I'd dedicate it to my mother so:
M: Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan
O: One Day by David Nicholls
M: "To my Mother,..." dedication in Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan One Day by David Nicholls Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1) by Helen Fielding

« previous 1