What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Wild west, rich woman, bad marriage?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Bailey | 97 comments Hi all
I'm wondering if you can help me find a book. I think I read it about 7 years ago, but I think it was quite new at the time. It is adult fiction, contemporary romance, but not a mills and boon type, more of a 'proper book' if that makes sense.

All I can really recall is that it was set in the American West at the time the ranchers/homesteaders were first setting up on the land. I think it was a woman of wealth who had married a man that took her out there. I think the marriage may have been forced and I don't think it was happy. The only scene I can absolutely remember is her standing on the deck/veranda of the house, watching her husband go away to tend the land again, probably leaving her for a long time and the real strong winds blowing the sand in her face.

I've just recently read The Thornbirds and there were bits about this that reminded me of it.

I have searched a few lists but can't seem to find what I am looking for. I am in England and read the book over here. Before my kindle I bought most novels from the top 100 of bestselling paperbacks, so it must be relatively well known or it would never have made it into that list over here otherwise.

I know my details are limited but any help would be appreciated.

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments Perhaps something by Larry McMurtry though they aren't recent books, but popular westerns, especially well known is Lonesome Dove

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Bailey | 97 comments Thanks Darcy. It's not that one and I've looked at quite a few by that author and nothing rings a bell.

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Possibly something by author Edna Ferber?

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Bailey | 97 comments Thanks Laurie but I can't see it in that authors list. I think it was written by a more recent author. I don't remember it being written in a dated style.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38238 comments Mod
It sounds a bit like Angle of Repose, which is definitely literary fiction.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Bailey | 97 comments No, that's not either, but thanks Lobstergirl. I will be adding that to my 'to read' list though as sounds interesting.

I don't think it was literary fiction.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Emma, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 9: by Cummingc (new)

Cummingc | 27 comments The Homesman by Glendon Swarthout. Powerful novel; did not receive the fame it deserves.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Homesman for the link

message 11: by Melpup (new)

Melpup | 15 comments 'These is my words' by Nancy E Turner?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Emma, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.