Dorothy Richardson discussion

Editions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 21, 2015 08:11AM) (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 99 comments Mod
Obviously at present the Virago 4 volume work is the only way to get the complete set, and is well put together.

In the future there are some exiting things on the horizon:

Dorothy Richardson, Collected Letters Vol.1. 1900-1930 (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2015)
Dorothy Richardson, Collected Letters Vol.2. 1931-1940 (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2016)
Dorothy Richardson, Collected Letters Vol.3. 1941-1952 (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2017)
Pilgrimage Vol. 1: General Introduction; Dorothy Richardson, ‘Foreword’; Pointed Roofs; Backwater (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2018)
Pilgrimage Vol. 2: Editors’ Introduction; Honeycomb; The Tunnel (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2018)
Pilgrimage Vol. 3. Editors’ Introduction; Interim; Deadlock (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2019)
Pilgrimage Vol. 4. Editors’ Introduction; Revolving Lights; The Trap (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2019)
Pilgrimage Vol. 5. Editors’ Introduction; Oberland; Dawn’ s Left Hand (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2020)
Pilgrimage Vol. 6. Editors’ Introduction; Clear Horizon; Dimple Hill; March Moonlight (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2020)
Dorothy Richardson, Shorter Fiction (forthcoming, Oxford University Press, 2020)

OUP have confirmed they will be using the original texts for these, from the first editions, rather than the later versions edited by DR in the 30's and which make up the Virago editions. This is great news as, in my opinion, the original versions of The Tunnel and Interim are much better (please see the thread on The Tunnel for more on this)

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

For those of you in the U.S or Canada, Broadview Press are publishing excellent scholarly editions too:

https://www.broadviewpress.com/produc...

message 3: by Ce Ce (new)

Ce Ce (cecebe) | 9 comments
Cover of my Knopf edition of Volume 1

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Now that is lovely! Good find!

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Fascinating piece here on the variations between the particular editions, and particularly the revisions that were done on The Tunnel and Interim

http://www.eltpress.org/richardson/in...

I think that it will only be with the publication of the OUP editions in a few years that all of these issues will be properly sorted out...

message 6: by Ce Ce (last edited Jan 27, 2015 09:09AM) (new)

Ce Ce (cecebe) | 9 comments Jonathan wrote: "Fascinating piece here on the variations between the particular editions, and particularly the revisions that were done on The Tunnel and Interim

http://www.eltpress.org/richardson/in......"

Interesting, Jonathan. The Knopf, Vols I & II (The Tunnel & Interim) that I have in hand were printed in London and they claim by agreement with J. M. Dent & Sons Ltd.

message 7: by Ce Ce (new)

Ce Ce (cecebe) | 9 comments Whoa! If you have a spare US $425 laying around...from Robert Duncan's library...

Knopf. Hardcover. 4 volume Set. Set is from the library of Robert Duncan. Has Duncan's signed name in volumes 2 and 3, as well as notes on the rear endpaper in Duncan's hand. Books show wear and covers show soiling (well used set). Rear colophon in each book indicates the "Temple Press" Rare and important association set. Good .
Barner Books
Book number: BB-122914-AF
USD 425.00 [Appr.: EURO 378.25 | £UK 281.5 | JP¥ 50124]

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

yeah...I have been eyeing that but simply cant' afford it.

I have a first edition of Interim (not in great shape), Clear Horizon, Honeycomb and Pointed Roofs now but they are not easy to find! It looks like any first edition of her books with DJ is going to be at least £100 which means I can probably allow myself one or two a year maximum...

message 9: by Ce Ce (new)

Ce Ce (cecebe) | 9 comments Jonathan wrote: "yeah...I have been eyeing that but simply cant' afford it.

I have a first edition of Interim (not in great shape), Clear Horizon, Honeycomb and Pointed Roofs now but they are not easy to find! It..."

Fun to fantasize though. Wouldn't you just love to read the notes in Duncan's hand?

message 10: by Jonathan (last edited Apr 29, 2015 10:24AM) (new)

my growing collection of first editions:

message 11: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 19 comments The rather odd Popular Library edition @ The Neglected Books Page ::
http://neglectedbooks.com/?p=3941
(with cover photos)

message 12: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Morton | 4 comments Yeah, I saw those on eBay while sourcing inexpensive copies. They are an amazing mismatch to the contents, and I love the thought of how disappointed basically anyone who bought those based on the covers would end up.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Yeah - love them. My mission to get all the editions includes them, so they are on my list! So happy neglected books is doing DR as she deserves it

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

DR's signature in my signed first of The Trap:

message 15: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 19 comments Sweet!

message 16: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 19 comments Just checking up on the forthcoming Oxford editions. For this year they have slated ::
Dorothy Richardson, Collected Letters Vol.1. 1900-1930 (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2017)
Pilgrimage Vol. 1: General Introduction; Dorothy Richardson, ‘Foreword’; Pointed Roofs; Backwater (forthcoming Oxford University Press, 2017)
and the rest of the updated schedule ::
https://www.keele.ac.uk/drsep/outputs/