The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Theme Archive 2015-2016 > Romance/Chick Lit (Genre - Feb 2015) - Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (last edited Jan 20, 2015 04:45AM) (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
Can anyone else hear wedding bells ringing? Or is that just me?

I know this genre is a bit like marmite: you usually love it or hate it. But hopefully people can get something out of it regardless!

If you're stuck for ideas on what to read this month, check out the numerous Goodreads book lists on romance, or the genre page!

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4709 comments Mod
I haven't finished Gone With The Wind, Outsider, or Fingersmith, yet, so they'll probably linger as Romance reads for February.

message 3: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

In an attempt to read more LGBT lit this year, I might give Boy Meets Boy a go, or perhaps Fingersmith like you Renee!

message 4: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I used to hate this category, but now I've really warmed up to it! There are quite a few books that I'm looking forward to for this month including The Woman Who Stole My Life, The Notebook, The Wedding and The Last Anniversary.

message 5: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments I am going to admit I love this category. I don't even plan for it.

message 6: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Yay! I'm so happy to have another fan of the category Roseanne.

message 7: by megan (new)

megan | 870 comments I read romance when I need a mental break from more serious story lines. I love WW1 and WW2 historical fiction, but I know I'm going to end up an emotional mess by the end.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I seem to have a stack of books ready for this genre, so I think this will be a good, enjoyable month. :)

message 9: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

This genre is definitely more popular than I thought it would be!

message 10: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments I think the problem is nobody wants to admit they read it.

message 11: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Lol, that's probably true Roseanne! I think there are lots of fans ;)

message 12: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments I think in my case I don't actually realise I read it. I read mostly historical fiction, so I don't think I read romance, but a lot of these books actually have an element of romance in them!

message 13: by Carol (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:02PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 17 comments I'm waiting for the library book Romola by George Eliot Romola by George Eliot.

message 14: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Camille wrote: "I think in my case I don't actually realise I read it. I read mostly historical fiction, so I don't think I read romance, but a lot of these books actually have an element of romance in them!"

Indeed. It's very hard to find a book in any genre that doesn't have some amount of romance in it. Believe me, I try. ;)

message 15: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I just took a little break from the readathon to go to the bookstore and spent the last of my gift cards on reads for this genre. I'm all set and excited for Feb to get here!

message 16: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) Love Walked In will be my genre read for Feb.!

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Love Walked In is one of my favorite reads of recent years.

message 18: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) Renee wrote: "Love Walked In is one of my favorite reads of recent years."

Ok, good. I haven't heard too much about it and I don't read too much in this genre so I was a little hesitant. Hearing that you liked it takes the edge of for me and gives me a little something to look forward to! So, thanks!!

message 19: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Can't wait to hear what you think.
I actually bought a second copy so I could lend it to friends. I also did that with The Hotel On The Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Both were lovely, atypical romance reads.

message 20: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments Not a romance or chick lit fan, tried to plan what to read but no idea yet!

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Natalie-
It doesn't have to be enormously chick-lit- y.
I just took a quick peek at your shelves for types of books that you liked which could fit this genre...
1) The Enchanted April
2) Wild
3) Attachments
4) Looking For Alaska

I'm going to finish Fingersmith as part of my genre goal, because of the romantic element. You can be a bit creative without totally going off radar.

message 22: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Feb 01, 2015 02:16PM) (new)

Oh! You might also like Me Before You, Eleanor & Park, The Fault in Our Stars, Love Walked In, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. All have a romantic element but are so much more.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I second Renee, good choices!

message 24: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments Thanks Renee :)

message 25: by Dora (new)

Dora This month reserved for Anna Karenina

message 26: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments I went for Delta of Venus in the end...

message 27: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Lol, Natalie. Nice!

message 28: by Becca (new)

Becca Tyler (scrappybec) | 294 comments Read The Rosie Effect and was disappointed with it.

I'm ashamed to admit that I avoided The Bronze Horseman because I didn't like the cover. I finally picked it up and loved it. I found the Tatiana a bit tedious at times, but I cried at the end. The book also presented a good look at life during the siege of Leningrad.