Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Should book editions be separated - one is short, the other expanded novel

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela Su (last edited Jan 20, 2015 03:47AM) (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 3 comments 1. Someone combined two different book versions: Short and expanded novel

Super Sock Man (free short) by Amy Lane should be separated from the other editions (expanded novella)

https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

It's been bugging me for awhile but I didn't get motivated to post here until now because I can't take it anymore. LOL.

The first link/edition is actually a free short for an event by the Goodreads MM Romance group.

The others are editions of the expanded novella. Can these be separated from the short?

2. Someone mislabeled the series
I don't know who did it but...it is NOT from the Granby Knitting series. This is a prequel story to the Johnnies series. (Edit...might be book 1.5 since (the novella) was published a year after Chase in Shadow)

(refer to: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/stor...)

Additionally, the description for this book link has "Knitting series" in the book description itself. I have read this series and there is no relation to Granby Knitting aka Knitting Series

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Please help. :)

message 2: by Pamela Su (last edited Jan 21, 2015 04:07AM) (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 3 comments Okay, I don't understand why an expanded novella is combined but

A Little Bit Country and A Little Bit Country by S.J. Frost (which is also an expanded novel) is kept separate

Edit: Experiment BL626, I have read the goodreads policy and I don't see why the novella (published later) cannot be separate.

To combine:
"Abridgments, i.e. a work that contains the author's original text, with some parts removed to shorten it."
- This is not an abridged work. The short was published first.

message 3: by Pamela Su (last edited Jan 21, 2015 04:11AM) (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 3 comments If no one's going to separate the novella, can someone at LEAST fix the series name?

It's not supposed to be linked to Granby Knitting. It is confusing readers who have read the Granby Knitting series and don't see any characters from there in this book.

message 4: by Calila (last edited Jan 21, 2015 01:46PM) (new)

Calila | 9 comments Pamela Su wrote: "If no one's going to separate the novella, can someone at LEAST fix the series name?

It's not supposed to be linked to Granby Knitting. It is confusing readers who have read the Granby Knitting se..."

Hi Pamela Su! I can't help with the combining/separating, I don't really understand that rule myself but thought I could explain the series listing.

Amy Lane actually has Super Sock Man listed as part of the Knitting Series on her website.

It's been awhile since I read SSM, but IIRC Donnie (SSM Main Character) is a side character and best friend to one of the Main Characters in one of the Knitting books. They don't appear in the short, but in the expanded the characters from the series show up. (Upon further thought/research I may be confusing what happens in what book.)

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments this needs rivka's decision,

it used to be that published by the GR Group in the GR writing was not published by GR standards and that edition was merged in to a GR defined "published" work but a GR employee has added a note to one of the editions
but in general we do combine expanded editions with original shorter work

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42435 comments Mod
If you have questions about this item, please use the Contact Us link on the Help page.