What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Shadows
This topic is about Shadows
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Horror / Suspense DTB - YA/Adult Audience - Young Protagonist - Written before 1992 [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments Hello, I, unfortunately have limited info due to how long ago I first read the book, but I'm hoping someone will recognize the basic premise.

1. I know it was written prior to 1992.
2. I read it between 1988 - 1992.
3. My original list of possible authors were: Stephen King, Peter Straub or John Saul, however I did not recognize the titles as what I was looking for.
3. I specifically remember the main character being a young boy (Possibly pre or early teens), who befriends a girl.
4. He went to a place for intelligent kids, either a camp or a school. I'm leaning towards camp, because they weren't there for that long if I remember correctly.

But thats where the rest is blank until the end, which I've put in spoiler tags, JIC.

(view spoiler)

Thank you for your help.

message 2: by N (new)

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments Could it be Diana Henstell's Deadly Friend Deadly Friend by Diana Henstell ?

message 3: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments Nancy wrote: "Could it be Diana Henstell's Deadly FriendDeadly Friend by Diana Henstell?"

Unfortunately no. I'm completely unfamiliar with that author.

message 4: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments *Bumping*

message 5: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments Oh, I'm sorry.

message 6: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments Ruqyo wrote: "That's all right. I know just how infuriating it is to try and find a long lost book. Google and WorldCat.org aren't working for me no matter how many search terms I use, and I'm usually fairly goo..."

I appreciate your efforts!

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Did the girl die at the camp? Do you remember how she died?

message 8: by Nyssa (last edited Jan 24, 2015 04:47PM) (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Did the girl die at the camp? Do you remember how she died?"

I want to say yes. I'm not 100% sure, but I think so. (view spoiler)

Edited to add: She is either dead, or at the very least, believed to be dead.

message 9: by Tab (last edited Jan 27, 2015 02:18PM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Maybe Shadows by John Saul? Have you ruled out all of Saul's books?

Do you remember the cover?

message 10: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments Tab wrote: "Maybe Shadows by John Saul? Have you ruled out all of Saul's books?

Do you remember the cover?"

No I have not ruled him out, and unfortunately, no, I don't remember the cover. I thought I'd recognize it when I saw it.

The synopsis for this sounds spot on.. I only wish I knew how it ended.

Funny, when I want a spoiler I can't find one...lol

I've just sent a message, asking about the ending, to someone who has read it recently. I don't know this person, so I really hope they decide to answer.

message 11: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Funny, when I want a spoiler I can't find one...lol

Lol, yes, I was thinking the same thing when I was trying to find the ending

message 12: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2501 comments Mod
The Kirkus review for Shadows says that the ending of it is virtually the same as the movie The Lawnmower Man. Unfortunately I haven't seen that film, but perhaps this clue will help?

message 13: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments Andria wrote: "The Kirkus review for Shadows says that the ending of it is virtually the same as the movie The Lawnmower Man. Unfortunately I haven't seen that film, but perhaps this clue will help?"

I haven't seen that either, but it at least gives me another reference.

Oh and I asked about the ending on the book page (Putting it under spoiler tags). So hopefully someone somewhere will confirm something.

Thank you guys so much!

message 14: by Juels (last edited Jan 28, 2015 12:49PM) (new)

Juels | 2476 comments Found a way to view a couple pages in the back of the book. Sounds like Shadows by John Saul is correct.

Excerpt:
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 34 comments OMG Yes! This is it!! After all of this time! I must have read it when it was brand new, My step-mom bought it for me the summer I went to spend with my mom, and was in the midst of a Stephen King phase. Shadows was a complete surprise, I didn't even know who John Saul was.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!