2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2015 > Station Eleven: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Jan 19, 2015 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Our February group read will be Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

One snowy night Arthur Leander, a famous actor, has a heart attack onstage during a production of King Lear. Jeevan Chaudhary, a paparazzo-turned-EMT, is in the audience and leaps to his aid. A child actress named Kirsten Raymonde watches in horror as Jeevan performs CPR, pumping Arthur's chest as the curtain drops, but Arthur is dead. That same night, as Jeevan walks home from the theater, a terrible flu begins to spread. Hospitals are flooded and Jeevan and his brother barricade themselves inside an apartment, watching out the window as cars clog the highways, gunshots ring out, and life disintegrates around them.

Fifteen years later, Kirsten is an actress with the Traveling Symphony. Together, this small troupe moves between the settlements of an altered world, performing Shakespeare and music for scattered communities of survivors. Written on their caravan, and tattooed on Kirsten's arm is a line from Star Trek: "Because survival is insufficient." But when they arrive in St. Deborah by the Water, they encounter a violent prophet who digs graves for anyone who dares to leave.

Spanning decades, moving back and forth in time, and vividly depicting life before and after the pandemic, this suspenseful, elegiac novel is rife with beauty. As Arthur falls in and out of love, as Jeevan watches the newscasters say their final good-byes, and as Kirsten finds herself caught in the crosshairs of the prophet, we see the strange twists of fate that connect them all. A novel of art, memory, and ambition, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it.
Please remember to mark spoilers in this thread. You can do this by putting [spoiler] before your spoiler and [/spoiler] after it, but replacing the []s with <>s.

Meg will be our leader for this discussion.

message 2: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I am so wonderfully excited about this. This was my favorite book from 2014, and I can't wait to discuss it with all of you!

message 3: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6440 comments I'm definitely in - already have it from the library:)

message 4: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg (megscl) | 284 comments My copy will arrive in the post in 5-8 business days! Looking forward to reading it, everyone I know who has read it has loved it.

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments I'm looking forward to this!

Cassandra | 5832 comments I put this book on hold at the library, but there are a long line of people in front of me. I'm looking forward to reading this one, though, so I'll probably end up purchasing it.

Cristal Punnett I have my copy from the library, and will be reading it soon.

message 8: by Jodi (new) - added it

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Hi Everyone,

I don't have a copy of the book. Can someone please let me know the how the different sections or chapters of the book can be divided so I can set up the discussion threads. Thank you.

Cassandra | 5832 comments The book has kind of an odd structure. It's divided into 9 parts, but each of the parts has a different number of chapters. Here's the breakdown:

1. The Theater (6 chapters)
2. A Midsummer Night's Dream (6 chapters)
3. I Prefer You With A Crown (6 chapters)
4. The Starship (8 chapters)
5. Toronto (11 chapters)
6. The Airplanes (4 chapters)
7. The Terminal (6 chapters)
8. The Prophet (5 chapters)
9. Station Eleven (3 chapters)

message 10: by Jodi (new) - added it

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments What if I broke it down to

Thread One
The Theatre and A Midsummer Night's Dream

Thread Two
I prefer You with a Crown and The Starship

Thread Three
Toronto and The Airplanes

Thread Four
The Terminal, The Prophet and Station Eleven

Cassandra | 5832 comments I think that sounds great! Then each section has roughly the same number of chapters (12, 14, 15, and 13 respectively).

Amanda (dangerprowse) There is a long wait for this in my library, and then I noticed it at my local supermarket for £3.85. Those of you in the UK having trouble getting a copy, check out Tesco!

message 13: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 26, 2015 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn (kathrynwright) This is wonderful! I am so very exited to start!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Love that synopsis! Ordering today!

Laura Library book in - wow, didn't expect it so fast!

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennv514) I am in, hopefully. I have been waiting to get this from the library for-ev-er.

Heather Powell I'm not even going to read the synopsis... I'm just going to order it and jump in...

Victoria | 4 comments I'm in too looks really interesting

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Gotta love Prime shipping. Book arrived yesterday! Looking forward to starting on Sunday. No television so no Super Bowl, I should make a good dent!

message 20: by Jodi (new) - added it

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments I really would like to read this one but I have a big chunkster coming up in February for a buddy read. I did add it to my list though and look forward to reading everyone's reviews.

message 21: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 3986 comments I just started reading this book, so I'm in!

message 22: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea LaCourse | 124 comments Got my copy... can't wait to start reading it!

message 23: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (siburgess) | 25 comments Getting my copy today, thoroughly keen on this one. Hope it'll fit in with my Fall of Giants buddy read!

message 24: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg (megscl) | 284 comments Can't wait to hear what you all think!

Jennifer | 95 comments I'm in! I started it this afternoon. I kept sneaking a quick paragraph here and there while at work.

message 26: by Sushma (new) - added it

Sushma T. | 3 comments Just downloaded it, and I'm going to be late to work due to reading. It draws you in quick!!!

Karen Mockoviak | 263 comments I am planning on joining in on this group read however I'm on a 49 person waiting list(it started out as 60) so hopefully I will have by the end of February!!

message 28: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 41 comments I'm only at about 10% but it's really good so far! Didn't know what to expect when starting the read so it surprised me.

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 94 comments I am not sure if I will get the book in time. I am on waiting list at library. 24/33

message 30: by Shlomo (new) - added it

Shlomo | 3 comments Started late but I'm in. First book discussion here, hope that you guys will forgive any involuntary impasses.

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments I'm a bit late with this one - will start on it in a couple of days!

Marielle Picked it up from the library... finally! And I will be starting very soon. Love the comments so far

Patricia Perez (pperezelias) Just finished this. What an amazing book! This was probably one of the best dystopian post-apocalyptic style novels I've read in a LONG time.

Karen Mockoviak | 263 comments I'm still on a pretty long waiting list for this book! I will definitely read it when it comes in, but it won't be in February :(

message 35: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike | 5 comments I enjoyed it. Good recommendation. Sure is depressing though.

Karen Mockoviak | 263 comments Finally got my copy of this book and it has been worth the long wait!! I'm hooked and I'm only at the second part of the book!

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1338 comments Karen wrote: "Finally got my copy of this book and it has been worth the long wait!! I'm hooked and I'm only at the second part of the book!"

I'm reading it now too. I had to wait for it from the library, then I didn't finish it before I had to return it (long wait, so no renewing!). I immediately submitted another request, but in the meantime, the electronic version became available from the library, so that's how I'm reading now. I'm almost done!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Station Eleven (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emily St. John Mandel (other topics)