Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2015 > March 2015 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1669 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to make a nomination for our March 2015 group read. When nominating a book, please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box. This will add a link to the Goodreads page for the book and allow other members to better evaluate your suggestion.

Feel free to nominate a book that has previously been nominated but that was not actually selected.

Please do not nominate a book first published within the last three months. Newer books are sometimes difficult for some of our members to obtain.

Nominations will close on January 25 or when we have about ten valid nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 2: by Nodas (new)

Nodas | 1 comments I nominate: Abundance by Peter Diamandis

message 5: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Brooke wrote: "I'm thinking of any of Brian Greene's books...."

We read The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos in September, 2012. Here is the discussion thread.

Of the others, which would you rather read?

message 6: by Chris Warns (new)

Chris Warns A History of Pi by Petr Beckmann

message 7: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

That would be A History of Pi.

message 8: by Will (new)

Will White The Meaning of Human Existence by EO Wilson

message 9: by Khalil (new)

Khalil | 4 comments Will wrote: "The Meaning of Human Existence by EO Wilson"

The Meaning of Human Existence

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric Bingham | 72 comments I nominate The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History. It sounds like a good one.

message 12: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 873 comments Mod
Eric, The Sixth Extinction is an excellent book. I highly recommend it. However, that was our Book of the Month in September 2014.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 20, 2015 10:49AM) (new)

I find there is a difficulty in nominating an older book. A fair amount of the information becomes outdated. Is there a chance my suggestion of "The Science of Interstellar" (the movie) by Dr. Kip Thorne would be acceptable? If not,he has also written "Black Holes and Time Warps".
And "The Sixth Extinction" was terrific.
Thank you.

message 14: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 873 comments Mod
Gwennyth, older books are OK. Several of our recent reads are more than 15 years old--they are classics. Books like "Cosmos", "The Selfish Gene", "The Demon-Haunted World", "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman!", "Godel, Excher, Bach", "The Blind Watchmaker", and "Ravens in Winter" are all excellent books.

message 15: by Bigollo (new)

Bigollo | 23 comments Gwennyth wrote: "I find there is a difficulty in nominating an older book. A fair amount of the information becomes outdated. Is there a chance my suggestion of "The Science of Interstellar" (the movie) by Dr. Kip ..."

I have a copy of 'Black Holes and Time Warps' by Kip Thorne but i have not read it yet. It looks like a popular level discussion on General Relativity and applications. So it can't be outdated.
Not yet.
The book was recommended for a lay reader by Sean Carroll quite recently. Just FYI..

message 16: by Betsy, co-mod (last edited Jan 20, 2015 03:29PM) (new)

Gwennyth wrote: "I find there is a difficulty in nominating an older book. A fair amount of the information becomes outdated. Is there a chance my suggestion of "The Science of Interstellar" (the movie) by Dr. Kip ..."

Actually, The Science of Interstellar would be disqualified because it's too new. It was just published in November 2014.

Please let us know if you want to nominate Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Betsy wrote: "Gwennyth wrote: "I find there is a difficulty in nominating an older book. A fair amount of the information becomes outdated. Is there a chance my suggestion of "The Science of Interstellar" (the m..."

Thank you.I stand corrected. I will renominate The Science of Interstellar when the three month time period has expired.

message 18: by Salma (last edited Jan 21, 2015 01:06PM) (new)

message 19: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are now closed. Please vote for your preference at the following poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Note: There was a shortage of nominations this month, so I included a couple of books that came in close to the top in recent polls.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.