2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Trudy's 2015 goal - 100 books

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trudy (last edited Jan 24, 2015 05:41AM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments I was able to make it through 111 books last year. I like to set a goal that I think that I can beat so that I don't feel the pressure of not achieving but feel elated when I can do better. And an average of about 2 books a week is a doable goal.

Some of my other reading goals that I hope to advance through the year - read everything that Agatha Christie wrote, read the 100 books that the College Board recommends for college-bound seniors, read more of the "classics".

message 2: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:42PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #1 A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture by Keith A. Mathison

First book down, 99 to go.

message 3: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:42PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #2 Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11) by Lee Child

I listened to this on audiobook. Fun book to keep me going while cleaning the house.

message 4: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:43PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #3 The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian

Another audiobook. An interesting twist.

message 5: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:43PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #4 Frozen in Time An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff

Yet another audiobook. Usually I am reading more books than this, but this has been a particularly busy month. I enjoyed this book though at times it was difficult to track all the different people.

message 6: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:43PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #5 Freakonomics A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything (Freakonomics, #1) by Steven D. Levitt

A reread - though again I listened to this on audiobook although I did read it the first time. Five down with 95 to go.

message 7: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:44PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #6 Giant's Bread by Mary Westmacott
Giant's Bread
This is part of my goal to read all the books that Agatha Christie wrote - not a goal I am going to achieve this year but maybe one day.

message 8: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:44PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #7 To End All Wars A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918 by Adam Hochschild To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918

Fascinating history of WWI following several people, both those for the war and those who were conscious objectors, male and female, some within families who took opposing positions. Excellently done

message 9: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:44PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #8 The Rose and the Yew Tree by Mary Westmacott The Rose and the Yew Tree

Continuing along towards my goal of reading all of Agatha Christie. I preferred this novel over Giant's Bread but did not find it as convicting as Absent in the Spring.

message 10: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:44PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #9 The Seventh Sinner by Elizabeth Peters The Seventh Sinner
Another audiobook - an okay book to clean the house to.

message 11: by Trudy (last edited Feb 06, 2015 01:33PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments The Case for Democracy The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror by Natan Sharansky The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror Well worth listening to even though published 11 years ago.

Book #10

message 12: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:45PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #11 Prester John by John Buchan Prester John Hmm - well at least I was able to finish it but I'm not sure it was worth it.

message 13: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:45PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #12 The Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame The Reluctant Dragon Lacked the magic of The Wind in the Willows

message 14: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:45PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #13 Death by Didgeridoo (A Jamie Quinn Mystery, #1) by Barbara Venkataraman Death by Didgeridoo Fun light read (or listen to be exact).

message 15: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Good luck with your challenge, Trudy! I hadn't heard of the College Board list, but I bookmarked it for future reference. It's full of books that I haven't read but I know I should.

message 16: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:46PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #14 Blind Glory Colonel Bo's Middle East Spy Assignment by Heath Bottomly Blind Glory: Colonel Bo's Middle East Spy Assignment

How did this ever get into my library's audiobook collection given some of the books that aren't there? And why did it get recommended to me based on other books I was reading?

message 17: by Trudy (last edited Feb 14, 2015 02:46PM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #15 The Stone Gate by Mark Mann The Stone Gate Some good ideas though too agenda-driven and some clunky writing.

Book #15

message 18: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #16 Look Again by Lisa Scottoline Look Again So many improbable events.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (reflectivegypsy) | 70 comments I love all of your goals this year! Agatha Christie is wonderful. I have one of her books on my list this year. I've never heard of the College Board list, but it sounds like something I'd like and should look into. And classics...oh so wonderful. Have fun!

message 20: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Jennifer wrote: "I love all of your goals this year! Agatha Christie is wonderful. I have one of her books on my list this year. I've never heard of the College Board list, but it sounds like something I'd like and..."

Thanks. I have been rather slack adding my books to this list as well as to my general list. Too many things on between debate tournaments and helping Miriam and Leah prepare for AP exams. Mostly I have been reading things that don't require too much of my attention.

message 21: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #17 A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5) by Agatha Christie A Murder Is Announced One I have read several times before but Christie is always an enjoyable read.

message 22: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #18 The Maggie B. by Irene Haas The Maggie B. A children's book. I ordered it in to the library because it was on my list of books that I should read. I can't remember why. It would not have been a book I would have loved reading to my kids.

message 23: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #19 Showdown on the Hogback by Louis L'Amour Showdown on the Hogback I need to start reading some more serious books - after the AP's

message 24: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #20 Murder Must Advertise (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #10) by Dorothy L. Sayers Murder Must Advertise I love Dorothy Sayers. I must try and read all the books she has written in the next few years.

message 25: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #21 The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1) by R.L. LaFevers The Flight of the Phoenix Hmm okay. Too much like reading nonfiction.

message 26: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #22 Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West Definitely worth reading. A tragic history.

message 27: by Trudy (last edited May 13, 2015 11:30AM) (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #23 Crooked Heart by Cristina Sumners Crooked Heart Not bad though I probably won't bother reading others in the series.

message 28: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #24 A Better Quality of Murder (Lizzie Martin, #3) by Ann Granger A Better Quality of Murder I must have been feeling harsh when I reviewed this one and only gave it a 2 star.

message 29: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #25 Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18) by Lee Child Never Go Back There are only so many of these that I can listen to - so many improbably events.

message 30: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #26 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Always worth reading.

message 31: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #27 Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #6) by Carla Neggers Abandon

message 32: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #28 The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey The 5th Wave I would like to read more in the series.

message 33: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #29 Tin God by Stacy Green Tin God

message 34: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Pomerantz | 32 comments Book #30 Dracula by Bram Stoker Dracula Why did it take so long for me to read this?