2017 Reading Challenge discussion

15/A graphic novel > Sex Criminals: Volume 1 (One Weird Trick) by Matt Fraction & Chip Zdarsky

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jan 19, 2015 09:08PM) (new)

Sarah (sekaplan) | 54 comments Okay, so I admit that the title makes me uncomfortable. But when my best friend and her boyfriend told me about SC, I laughed so hard soda almost came out my nose.

Suzie finds out as a teenager that when she orgasms, she can FREEZE TIME.

As an adult, Suzie works as a librarian and it trying to save the libary she works at from being forclosed on. She holds a Save The Books party and meets Jon, who--wait for it--has the same "issue." And as one does when they find their other half, they decide to use their "super power" to rob banks...

If you don't mind comic book sex and have a sense of humor, give Sex Criminals read. Just don't leave it out of the coffee table unless you want people to wonder about you. Oh, and Time Magazine named it the Best Comic of 2014.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah K So I already have my Graphic Novel picked out but this sounds hillarios so Im going to add it to my To Read list.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Mar 08, 2015 03:20PM) (new)

Sarah (sekaplan) | 54 comments I just finished the second volume -- I am not counting it toward my total for the challenge, but I just have to say that while it may not be as out loud funny as the first, it is still an awesome story. The relationships between the characters are really starting to open up. And I like that they are not shying away from Jon's mental health issues (although, I don't think the author and the illustrator are shy about much of anything). If you like Volume I, I would advise you to keep going. Bravo, Matt and Chip.