Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Supernatural female, human male?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) | 37 comments It seems like most UF series feature a bad-ass female character - but her guy has to be stronger, faster and even MORE bad-ass than her. (She's a were? He has to be ALPHA were. She's a vamp? He has to be their LEADER.)

So, are there any series where the woman is supernaturally bad-ass but the guy is a "just" a human? Or at least starts that way and then SHE helps HIM deal with the paranormal, teach him? Any recommendations?

message 2: by Lokki (new)

Lokki (lokki8) | 18 comments Have you tried the Jill Kismet series by Lilith Saintcrow? Jill is a kickass heroine and she ends up with a pretty normal guy that isn't really part of her whole kick-assery. Of course now that I'm typing this, I seem to remember that maybe Saul, the guy, is a supe of some sort, but he is a laid back, non-alpha type.

message 3: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Lokki wrote: "Have you tried the Jill Kismet series by Lilith Saintcrow? Jill is a kickass heroine and she ends up with a pretty normal guy that isn't really part of her whole kick-assery. Of course now that I..."

Saul is a were, and pretty kick-ass. It's an interesting relationship. She's tougher and meaner on the outside, while he's more stable on the inside. He cooks and cleans house, too.

message 4: by Marianne (new)

Marianne And while we're on the subject, it's one of my favoritest series ever.

message 5: by Lokki (new)

Lokki (lokki8) | 18 comments Marianne wrote: "And while we're on the subject, it's one of my favoritest series ever."

Mine too, but obviously it's been a while since I re-read it. I couldn't remember what Saul was, just that he was, as you said, the stable, more low-key one lol

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments I have no idea why this is such a rare thing but it totally is

Anyways I just read Wickedly Dangerous (Baba Yaga, #1) by Deborah Blake which is really different it is about Baba Yaba the wicked witch of Russian fairytales. Very cool story!!

Another one is The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #2) by Molly Harper it is PNR and he is human but she is a werewolf - I found it very funny and I love it in audio.

Last one which I have not read but it is on my TBR is A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1) by K.A. Stewart the heroine is a witch but the male lead is human.

There are others but they are normally mixed in with series books like The Breeds series by Lora Leigh, PsyChangeling by Nalini Singh and Argeneau by Lynsy Sands.

Hope that helps

message 7: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ross | 6 comments I don't know how you feel about YA, but Beautiful Creatures is what comes to mind for me.

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Hmm, definitely true that this is not as common. If you're open to something that's a combination of fantasy/historical fiction rather than urban fantasy, try Midnight Never Come (Onyx Court, #1) by Marie Brennan . The main character is a female fairy, the love interest is human. A series that comes to mind is the Elemental Assassin series: Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep . I've only read the first one, and it's more lust than romance/love, but the main character is a female assassin who can control elemental magic, whereas the guy is a normal human cop.

message 9: by Lokki (new)

Lokki (lokki8) | 18 comments I thought of another I'd recommend. The Urban Shaman series by CE Murphy. It's about a woman who discovers she's a shaman and her eventual love interest is a regular guy (a cop). The first book is Urban Shaman (Walker Papers, #1) by C.E. Murphy

message 10: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery | 21 comments The Imp series A Demon Bound (Imp, #1) by Debra Dunbar she's a powerful succubus, he's human.

Good Intentions by Elliott Kay apparently sort of a theme, but he's just some guy, they are a succubus and an angel. It's third person, but he is still the focal point IMHO

I don't know if it counts, but Bill The Vampire (The Tome of Bill, #1) by Rick Gualtieri . Even though he is an especially tough vampire, the women in his life seem to regularly get the better of him and be at least as tough.

Greywalker (Greywalker, #1) by Kat Richardson she's a greywalker, the guys are human.

Storm Born (Dark Swan #1) by Richelle Mead The guys aren't human, but she's more powerful than them.

Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard, #1) by Melissa F. Olson is sort of like that. She can take people's powers away when they are close to her. She's dealing with humans, or vampires and werewolves that are human around her so . . .

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead she's another succubus, he's human.

Grey area here, Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs he's a werewolf, she's a special kind of werewolf . . . more important I guess you'd say, even though he is the "fighter" of the two.

Apparently "normal guy/succubus" is a common theme. Who knew?

message 11: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments Anno Dracula (first book in a series about vampires, which starts in Victorian England, and progresses to modern times and other countries) is a well written tale, and many of the primary characters are female vampires, one of who collaborates with a warm (meaning human) man to solve a series of murders.

Also the second book in Glen Duncan's werewolf series features a female werewolf and human man (not a love interest, a friend always by her side). The first book The Last Werewolf, was excellent, but doesn't meet your criteria, and features a brutal male werewolf.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 93 comments You might enjoy Except the Queen -- though the romance is somewhat downplayed for the main characters.

message 13: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Holt (brandy11d) | 7 comments Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead
Great series.

Really, anything by Richelle Mead
She has really strong female characters in all of her series.

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments Kati wrote: "It seems like most UF series feature a bad-ass female character - but her guy has to be stronger, faster and even MORE bad-ass than her. (She's a were? He has to be ALPHA were. She's a vamp? He has..."

What a wonderful thought!!!!! Thanks for this, and I will be checking out all thee books that pop up! ;-)
Leiah

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments Lokki wrote: "I thought of another I'd recommend. The Urban Shaman series by CE Murphy. It's about a woman who discovers she's a shaman and her eventual love interest is a regular guy (a cop). The first book is..."
Totally agree on this one. I love the heroine here!

message 16: by ❀ Sabina (new)

❀ Sabina (namida2u) I would say the Hollows, starting with Dead Witch Walking

There are strong female characters and yes, also strong male characters. Rachel (who is the first person narrator) is a witch who will discover, later on, that she is more than that. She will have mutliple (species) relationships throughout the series, including a human.

Rachel does experiences weaker moments and has to learn how to ask for help from her friends, but that is all part of character growth. Where she may lack in strength, she makes up for it with her determination/experience/dare/etc..

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Murray | 13 comments Kelley Armstrongs books have a number of them with great female leads who are definitely stronger than the male at times.

message 18: by Kody (new)

Kody | 9 comments Wild Cat by jennifer ashley. It's a romance between a human cop and a cat shifter. It also has an audio book. Amazing book that made it into my top ten. I'm always actively searching for romance books with human males and supernatural females and this book reminded me why i need to keep on searching. (i'm a guy and i like reading about powerful women or underestimated males.)

There's God Touched. (Can not stress how highly i recommend the audio books of this series) It's the first book in the demon accords series and in this first book the main character's (who is a human male) love interest is a super powerful female vampire. Later on in the series the main character becomes more powerful to equal up to his mate, but for the first book he is definitely weaker. Read this if your in to action and romance because it's very balanced in that regard. (It also might be more of a guy read, but if you like the night huntress series i think you might enjoy this). This book series basically started my hunt to find more romance books between human males and supernatural females.

There's also "her perfect mate" the first book in the x-ops series. Its a romance between a human special forces operator and a secret agent cat shifter. Neither seems to have an advantage over the other, but the female is technically superior physically. Of my recommendations so far i find this one the most bland, but it definitely fits the criteria.

There's also "the demon and his psycho" Its an interesting piece that's not to long. I can't do the description justice so i recommend reading it, but it's basically a romance between male demon and a female serial killer (kind of reminds me of harley quin) who are sent out on a mission by lucifer ruler of hell to find a lost...pink dragon lol

There's also the bound series by cynthia eden. They're not really human males, but a few have females who would be considered equal to or much more powerful than their male counter parts.

If anybody has any more recommendations where the male human or considered weak compared to his lover (even if he is just being underestimated) please send me an email. I'm always on the look out.

message 19: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) | 37 comments Thank you so much, Kody!

message 20: by Keila (new)

Keila Cush (kcush) | 6 comments The Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. It takes a few books for here and her beau to even notice each other. She’s a Were, he’s a lawyer.

message 21: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) | 37 comments Thank you for the tip, Keila! :)

message 22: by Kody (new)

Kody | 9 comments I don't know if it's because the romance genre generally caters to women, but I find it hard to find good romance novels that can be for all genders. It feels like it's always the same scenario: Alpha/Rich/Powerful/Beautiful male notices and then falls for Insecure/Average/Normal female. This isn't universal and often times the male and female can both be alpha types. But there seems to be a void for a certain type of romantic dynamic. Do the god like heroes in romance always have to somehow notice the girl? Why can't it be the reverse where the all powerful/beautiful woman notices the average unassuming male? Ex. Powerful supernatural female falling for a human male, badass female super spy falling for average joe working in sales, or maybe a female crime lord falling for a regular old mechanic or college nerd. It's the 21st century and males don't have a monopoly on being powerful and possessive. So where are all the confident females taking the initiative and being assertive instead of waiting to be noticed.

sorry this isn't a recommendation i just don't want this discussion to end

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 93 comments It's less flattering for the woman to imagine noticing a being inferior to herself.

The reverse process is also possible: many action heroes are the targets of aggressive and attractive women. But by the same token, that's a man's genre.

message 24: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) Kody wrote: "I don't know if it's because the romance genre generally caters to women, but I find it hard to find good romance novels that can be for all genders. It feels like it's always the same scenario: Al..."

I can't think of any books that fit this genre, myself, but I'd be interested in readiing one. I agree that you see that dynamic played the opposite way a lot. I think it'd be refreshing to read it the other way around.

message 25: by Kody (last edited Oct 14, 2018 03:54PM) (new)

Kody | 9 comments Mary wrote: "It's less flattering for the woman to imagine noticing a being inferior to herself.

The reverse process is also possible: many action heroes are the targets of aggressive and attractive women. But..."

Apologies i didnt mean to imply that either gender was inferior to the other in this scenario. ? And i dont think it has anything to do with feminism or either gender coming off as superior. I mean like say we take military romance for example. The most common stereo type is the male is the soldier/veteran and the female is either an equally bad ass occupation or a regular old civilian. Being a soldier doesnt make the female inferior or the male superior. Yet why is it so rare to find a romance novel where a female soldier falls in love with a civilian male? Its a very common occurence in the real world but not so in the romance genre. Same with romance involving supernatual females and human males. Its rare and at first glance your response is to think that its unflattering for a supernatural female to notice an inferior male species, but i dont think thats the case when you compare it to the military scenario.

message 26: by Aca (new)

Aca | 3 comments Kody, I am in full agreement with your views on the lack of strong or supernatural female/regular male romance novels. There are a few books that I have found that you might enjoy. My favourite book series is the Sunrise at Sunset series by Jaz Primo. A female Vampire is helped by a young boy (who does not know what she is). Twenty years later she checks up on him and a romance unfolds. So far there are five books in the series published, but another should be coming out next year. Earlier someone mentioned Good Intentions by Elliot Kay, this and the two other books in the same series are about a normal guy and his succubus and angel significant others. Highly recommended. A third recommendation is Bleacke's Geek by Lesli Richardson. It is the first in a series and is about a normal guy and his prime alpha female wolf shifter mate. The first and third books are quite good, I was not the biggest fan of the second book and the fourth to me seemed like a rush job. I hope you and others here will enjoy some or all of these suggestions, if you have not already read them.

message 27: by Kody (new)

Kody | 9 comments Aca wrote: "Kody, I am in full agreement with your views on the lack of strong or supernatural female/regular male romance novels. There are a few books that I have found that you might enjoy. My favourite boo..."

I'm looking into that sunrise to sunset series as soon as i finish writing this so thanks for the recommendation. I've already read Good intentions and for an open relationship/harem series it's actually pretty good, but that's not really my kind of romance as I'm into monogomy, but I'm still going to read the series because by the third book the writing kicks up a notch. As for Bleake's Geek, I agree with your assessment. The first book is pretty good, though the heroine i feel kinda falls into the TSTL (to stupid to live) catagory. I couldn't even finish the second book in the bleake series and pretty much abandoned the series.

Here's some recomendations of my own.

God Touched (Demon Accords, #1) by John Conroe God touched, by John Conroe is the first book in a series I highly recommend called the demon accords. It is a bit of a male read as it's roughly 60% action and 40% romance, but I enjoyed the romance so much that I give credit to this book and it's entire series for enlightening me on how much fun the romance genre can be. The coupling involves a powerful and unique human exorcist and a powerful and unique female vampire (she was the only born vampire with an entire story of her own.) I'm really into audio books and while I won't say this is the best series ever made, I will say that I have yet to find a better narrator or audio series. First person male point of view.

Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3) by Jennifer Ashley Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3) by Jennifer Ashley This is a book that's part of a romance series I haven't read completely yet, but the coupling was unique enough that I picked up this book before reading the others (something I normally don't do). The hero is a human cop of spanish decent, and the heroine is a blonde cat shifter that's second in command of her pack hierarchy right behind her brother. My assessment of this book is that I highly recommend it to anyone who likes any kind of romance genre. It's a great book that re-affirmed why I keep searching for the unconventional romances that I do. It's 3rd person duel perspective and has audio.

A Demon and His Psycho (Welcome to Hell, #2) by Eve Langlais A Demon and His Psycho (Welcome to Hell, #2) by Eve Langlais This one is not long, and not really the best example of romance, but it is hands down the most unique coupling I've seen so far. The hero is a cranky old demon with a bad boy complex (think batman) and the heroine is a psychopath who was executed on earth and sent to hell, but not as punishment due to a deal she made with lucifer before dying (she's crazy like harley quin crazy). The setting is hell and the plot is rediculous, but it was a good read. 3rd person duel perspective and has audio

The Grunt 1 (The Lonely Hearts, #3) by Latrivia S. Nelson The Grunt 1 (The Lonely Hearts, #3) by Latrivia S. Nelson This one is an interacial military romance (not paranormal). This is not a book filled with action and is purely romance. The hero is a force recon marine (white male) that has the worst luck i've ever seen. It's pretty tragic, his wife just ups and leaves him with no warning; leaving him with a son, no money and no indication she's ever coming back (thats how the story starts). The heroine is a librarian (black female) who happens to be the daughter of the hero's commanding officer. What I really liked about this book is that it has a sequal called "The Grunt 2" that is just as good if not better that tells the story after the happily ever after (ie they're already married). 3rd person duel perspective and does NOT have an audio book.

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost This is one where you have to read the entire series (night huntress series) as the main heroine falls under the TSTL catagory, but only in the beginning and she slowly learns that basically she's just a racist (against vampires) due to her mom's terrible upbringing as the series progresses. Despite my hate for the main character in the beginning, the author is such a good writer that it pretty much made up for any flaws I found in the characters. And it's Definitely worth the read. The coupling is a half human/vampire female (the only one of her kind) and a 200 year old english vampire. My assesment: This is basically the female version of the demon accords (refer to the top of my list) the main characters of both series pretty much mirror each other in activity and motivations, being different only in gender. They're about even in action and romance with the night huntress series being much more explicit sexually. As the stories progress however the two series veer off from one another to form their own distinct universes. This one is told in first person female point of view and does include audio.

Just like That by Nicola Rendell Just like That by Nicola Rendell This is one of my favorite contemporary romances. Love basically just knocked the couple upside the head and they fall for each other hard and fast. The author is excellent making the side characters almost more endearing than the main characters (which is saying something). It's told in first person duel perspective with audio including both a female narrator and a male narrator for the respective POVs.

message 28: by Kody (last edited Nov 16, 2018 02:57AM) (new)

Kody | 9 comments Aca wrote: "Kody, I am in full agreement with your views on the lack of strong or supernatural female/regular male romance novels. There are a few books that I have found that you might enjoy. My favourite boo..."

I'm halfway through sunrise at sunset. I like the premise, I enjoy the plot, and I enjoy the puppy love the couple show case through out the story, however you can definitely tell this is one of the author's earlier novels. The main hang up I have is that the 3rd person perspective is done poorly. I feel the author should have either gone with first person point of view, or have more internal dialogue for the characters because half the time I don't know what the characters are thinking or what the motivations for their actions are. Most of the time the author just states "this is what they did" and "and this how the other character reacted" but doesn't explain why. This is an unconventional relationship, so I'm very confused about the male's mindset. Is he submissive? Half the time he's scared the other half he's brave. He really confuses me. I'm not finished yet, but I hope he doesn't turn out to be a submissive (i hate that type in any gender). Also how tall is the heroine because the hero always seems to be looking up at her even when standing. Anyways aside from those setbacks, I'm really enjoying the book. The couple premise alone is practically carrying the book for me and I gotta admit the author is pretty good at the emotional aspect of trauma and infatuation.

Anyways I just wanted to let you know that if you enjoyed this story you should really give God touched a try. The info i have on it is in my previous post if your curious. It has the same couple premise, human male and female vampire. However the main character in God Touched (the male) is not a suave beta, but rather a clueless alpha. His reaction to childhood trauma caused him to more nihilistic rather than timid like they did to the male in sunset to sunrise. Also I think the humor is a step up in God touched.

Anyways thanks for the sunset to sunrise recommendation. As long as they don't make the male anymore submissive or the female anymore dominate than they are at this point in the book (i'm 66% finished so far) then I'll end up reading the entire series by the end of the week.

message 29: by Aca (new)

Aca | 3 comments Kody wrote: "Aca wrote: "Kody, I am in full agreement with your views on the lack of strong or supernatural female/regular male romance novels. There are a few books that I have found that you might enjoy. My f..."

I have read or rather listened to God Touched and enjoyed it quite a bit. My one problem with that series was that as I started book two, it seemed to me that the male character had become as strong in his own right and way as his special vampire girlfriend. I might persevere with it though given your strong recommendation.

I am glad that you are enjoying Sunrise at Sunset and I agree that it is the couple premise that is the main selling point of the series. There are times when both of the main characters frustrate me a quite a bit but on balance there is a lot more I enjoy about the books and the characters. Here I am deliberately vague as I do not want to give any spoilers, but do let me know if/when you finish the series. In later books the author does change to a first person narrative changing between the two main characters which to me seemed a little odd initially but in the end works quite well.

message 30: by Kody (new)

Kody | 9 comments Aca wrote: "Kody wrote: "Aca wrote: "Kody, I am in full agreement with your views on the lack of strong or supernatural female/regular male romance novels. There are a few books that I have found that you migh..."

Ur assessment of the main character from god touched becoming over powered is a common complaint with the series. However the author escelates the danger to match his growing power as the series continues. In fact the universe balancing the scales of good and evil is actually used as an explanation for why the character becomes so op in preparation for evil's continual power up. The thing is his combat persona is so ruthless that none of the bad guys have enough time to really develop as villians, but i love it. The author throws out of the box problems at the character in which his strength amounts to nothing not to mention an entirely new main character is introduced after book seven who develops at a much slower rate.

As for sunrise at sunset i finished book one and am going through book two. I'm satisfied with the alpha/beta relationship as its not as oppressive as i thought it would be. The fact that the male will argue with her and actually get seriously angry and stand up to her is enough for me. Not to mention he is vastly less scared of everything by book 2 so im starting to be able to relate alot better. He was dangerously close to falling in the to stupid to live catagory in book one but made a nice come back. In book 2 i already see vast improvement in the authors writing skill. Which book do they switch to first person?

message 31: by Aca (new)

Aca | 3 comments Kody wrote: "Aca wrote: "Kody wrote: "Aca wrote: "Kody, I am in full agreement with your views on the lack of strong or supernatural female/regular male romance novels. There are a few books that I have found t..."

The first person narrative starts in the fourth book. I am glad that the main character avoided falling into the to stupid to live category. By now you will also have been introduced to two of the secondary characters in the story, who I think are very interesting.

I have not yet continued with the Demon Accords but I will and I will let you know what I think.

message 32: by Nithroel (last edited Feb 03, 2020 03:58PM) (new)

Nithroel | 1 comments Sorry to necro this thread, but I highly recommend

Her Human Mate: A Paranormal Romance

It's about a nerdy weak human boy, and a female werewolf who discovers he's her mate. Pretty good romance and later action.

message 33: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 2 comments I liked The Vine Witch by Luanne G Smith

message 34: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 2 comments Witch Please by Ann Aguirre