So Far from God So Far from God discussion

What's the meaning of chapter 8?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mil Asensio The author, of course, must have left the mysteries unexplained on purpose but I cannot avoid to wonder about the relevance of the events told in chapter 8? do they occur after Caridad and Esmeralda's death? If so,who is the guy who follows Helena and Maria; it cannot be Francisco since he committed suicide.

Geoffrey Nutting a) The chapter is a little interlude to show the characters of Maria & Helena.
b) they take place before Caridad & Esmeralda's deaths.
c) There is a Town called Truchas in New Mexico; I suspect in this case the word 'truchas' is more in the Spanglish sense of 'Alert! vigilant' like the gang Mara Salvatrucha (or MS13) would use. They also sell drugs (Hence Helena's thoughts about the people following them because they thought Helena & Maria might be 'narcs'.
d) Chapter shows Maria to be a idealistic, naive person;Helena more 'streetsmart'.

Geoffrey Nutting Salvatrucha/MS13 are gangs in LA

message 4: by Mil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mil Asensio thanks for that! Yes, it happened before Caridad and Esmeralda's death. just now I see that, especially because at the end of this chapter Maria is said to have foreseen a moment in which she would need a warning.