Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Off topic > Music

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
We don't have a music topic! :o

What are your favourites? What do you love to listen to?

For me, it's such a mix. I love blues, southern rock, classic rock, some jazz. I like more modern chart stuff to get into the mood when I'm going out, or for working out to. I love folk and acoustic to relax to. When I'm reading and studying, I tend to have a playlist on that's filled with TV, film and video game soundtracks.

When it comes to bands and artists, I love Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Lynyrd Skynyrd. But I also love the new Taylor Swift album, and Avicii.

I guess when it comes to it, what I'm listening to depends on my mood and what I'm doing :P Here's my LastFM profile if anyone still uses it or wants to have a look at my varied collection, haha :)

message 2: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments Oh. Hmmm. I'm weird I guess. I like chiptunes, classical, rockabilly, and a mix of techno and j-pop.

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

What are chiptunes? :)

message 4: by Abrea (new)

Abrea (elorendil) | 44 comments I'm a classical pianist, so I live, eat, breathe and sleep music. :P I love classical music the most, particularly the Neo-Romantic era. My favorite composers are Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev and Chopin. I also really enjoy opera.

In terms of non-classical music, I love crossover artists/groups like Josh Groban, Hayley Westenra, Adoro, etc. I do listen to some pop music, but I tend to be very selective about it and usually only like one or two songs from an entire album. Every now and then, I'm in the mood for some rock or for metal. I have one CD of each of those for those very rare occasions. :P The other genre I really enjoy a lot is musicals.

message 5: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1853 comments Mod
I like lots of different types really:

in no particular order: Rock, Indie, Metal, Pop, 80s pop, Drum n Bass.

Yay for LastFM - Really should get back to into using it: here's my LastFM Profile" (last updated May 2013 - oops)

Fave bands include: Scroobius Pip, Incubus, NIN, Funeral for a Friend, Sage Francis, Radiohead, Foo fighters, David Bowie, The National, Airborne Toxic Event, Daft Punk, Crackout, Death Cab for Cutie, Band of Horses, Marilyn Manson, Mr Scruff, Maximo Park, Kings of Leon, Blink 182, Emmy the Great, Duran Duran, Elvis Presley, Fleetwood Mac, Fat Freddy's Drop...

To name but a few.

I also like just listening to random songs, not always albums.

message 6: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

RINN

204664 - plays since 6 Apr 2006

Makes my measly 41332 look positively embarrassing!

message 7: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Yay worked out how to turn scrobbling on on spotify . Win!

message 8: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I pretty much have music on all the time :P So... yeah, haha!

message 9: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments Rinn wrote: "What are chiptunes? :)"

Chiptunes are a minimalist type of music inspired (and played on) video game hardware limitations. Often they either use old gameboy music chips, or emulate similar.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 344 comments Joseph wrote: "Rinn wrote: "What are chiptunes? :)"

Chiptunes are a minimalist type of music inspired (and played on) video game hardware limitations. Often they either use old gameboy music chips, or emulate si..."

Chiptunes, yay! The music was almost the best thing about my Gameboy experience (I still own mine, the "naked" one, and it works!). Like Mega Man or Duck Tales. And quite fascinating technology too, because the music is generated by the device itself. Which makes it total grey zone for copyright ;)

message 11: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments My father still has his old Gameboy. I upgraded to my VITA, but I know a few chiptune editors that I can run through a mini input.

That said I have a huge video game music collection. I was a fan from way back in the 8-bit era onward. These days I love the retro sound. OR I love bands who play music inspired by video games like Protomen, etc.

I also have a big love of themesongs for Japanese Toku shows. Kamen Rider, Sentai, etc.

message 12: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Do any of you listen to music when you read?

I actually find it harder to read when there's silence. Personally I like having the tv on, though generally not something I haven't seen before. I like the background noise!

message 13: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments I prefer silence mostly. I listen to music when I'm daydreaming between reading. Or when I'm doing boring tasks.

message 14: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I am the same, Kirsty! I have a special Spotify playlist for reading, which is composed of quieter/more peaceful soundtracks from video games, TV and film.

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 344 comments I'm more like Joey, prefering silence. I don't mind most other noises, but music makes my thoughts diverge.

message 16: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments Now I have found that nice classical or trance electro music isn't bad. Anything mellow that helps me relax so I can focus.

message 17: by Abrea (new)

Abrea (elorendil) | 44 comments I prefer to have music on while I'm reading. I typically listen to orchestral or string classical music. If I listen to piano, I find myself being drawn in and paying attention to the technique/tone/interpretation of the performer. I sometimes listen to soundtracks, too. Nothing with words, though.

message 18: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yup, if there's lyrics I get a bit distracted - although some quiet blues seems to work okay :P

message 19: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Right now I'm listening to 'The Last Goodbye', from the end of the last Hobbit film and sung by Billy Boyd, on repeat. My voice isn't quite as pretty as his though...

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelunabridged) | 49 comments I like to listen to music while I'm reading, but it has to be instrumental, like video game or music soundtracks. Anything with lyrics distracts me to much. xD;

My family used to give me a hard time about the kind of music I listen to, and everyone else just thought I was weird. I love girl metal (Within Temptation, Leaves' Eyes, Nightwish) and power metal (Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Falconer). But I also enjoy classical music. Oh, and I love musicals and I have a Disney station set up on Pandora!
I also love oldies and 70s/80s rock. I adore Journey, Chicago, Little River Band, and other groups like that. I really like Drum and Bass, but not any particular artists.
And, as I mentioned before, I love video game and film soundtracks. I'm listening to a lot of Final Fantasy soundtracks lately. And I have a everlasting love of the Lord of the Rings soundtracks!
I also listen to Japanese music. Particularly rock, but I've been known to listen to J-pop on occasion. (I use it for studying Japanese. I've been learning for a good 10 years now, I guess.)

There are other genre's I listen to, but I think this is what I listen to most. xD;

message 21: by Abrea (new)

Abrea (elorendil) | 44 comments I'm currently stuck on listening to four songs repeatedly: Human and I Believe by Christina Perri, and Damaged and Cut by Plumb. They've literally been going almost non-stop since I woke up on Sunday morning.

Anyone else tend to get stuck on a few songs or just one for an extended period of time?

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 344 comments Even worse: Often I subconsciously start drumming on whatever surface is at hand (my writing desk in most cases). Whenever I become aware of it, I'm drumming the beat of Faith by George Michael.

It was one of the first songs I've listened to in my life (my mom had always mixtapes in her car) and I loved it as a child (actually I still do).

message 23: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I keep listening to the Outlander theme on repeat...

message 24: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments Currently? Uptown Special and Lazerhawk's various albums are on heavy rotation.

message 25: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1777 comments Mod
I couldn't really tell you what I like, I probably have a bit of many random things, likely a lot of cheese too ;)

Currently on my commute to work I have Classic FM on as discussions about weird flavoured sandwiches is infinitely preferable to some of the insane chatter on other stations and talk shows are dull. I started listening to it because the signal doesn't cut out like other channels when there are hills and it's calming (not sure I'm enjoying my current placement) :)

message 26: by Abrea (new)

Abrea (elorendil) | 44 comments I am a bit stuck on Josh Groban's new single, The Mystery of Your Gift. I have been a fan of his since before being a Grobanite was a thing and I always love it when he comes out with anything new. I love the lyrics and melodies of this new song.

message 27: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

If you could only pick one - favourite film soundtrack??

Difficult choice personally - LOTR is just amazing, however I love the soundtrack to Sunshine too. Also labyrinth and Reservoir Dogs - in fact Tarantino always does epic soundtracks. Gladiator, the road. Agh decisions...

Labyrinth! Followed closely by LoTR!

message 28: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1988 comments Mod
my favorite file sound track would have to be O Brother Where Art Thou

message 29: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 344 comments Roger wrote: "my favorite file sound track would have to be O Brother Where Art Thou"

That's a good one! LotR too. It was the first soundtrack I bought on CD (anyone remember what this is? lol). The second was from Spiderman, which introduced me to some really good rock bands.
The last OST I acquired on CD was from Over the Hedge, the animation film, with songs by Ben Folds.

message 30: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1766 comments I'm not sure what my overall fav sound track would be but I know I love 'The Crow' for the sheer mix of songs, the original transformers soundtrack (other than doomsday clock) any of the blade films for gym music.

message 31: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Rinn wrote: "Right now I'm listening to 'The Last Goodbye', from the end of the last Hobbit film and sung by Billy Boyd, on repeat. My voice isn't quite as pretty as his though..."

I get stuck on 'Evenstar' (when Elrond show Arwen her life of solitude if she stays with Aragorn), so I know where you're coming from!

I've grown to like more folk as I've gotten *gasp* older - lots of acoustic guitars, mandolins, fiddles and natural sounding voices. I love Alison Kraus (who I discovered from O Brother Where Art Thou) and The Civil Wars (who are no more, as far as I know). I'm also on a big Nashville soundtrack kick these days. The songs for that show are amazing.

message 32: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Alison Krauss has a gorgeous voice! Have you heard her album with Robert Plant? So fantastic <3

message 33: by Abrea (new)

Abrea (elorendil) | 44 comments I absolutely love all of the LOTR/Hobbit soundtracks. I listen to them constantly!

On the live music side of things, I'll be going to the opera tomorrow and I got really nice seats. I'm super excited!

message 34: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Rinn wrote: "Alison Krauss has a gorgeous voice! Have you heard her album with Robert Plant? So fantastic <3"

Love, love, LOVE 'Raising Sand'!!! Awesome album.

@Abrea - a night at the opera, huh? Sounds good. I'm going with my husband to see 'Cabaret' for Valentine's Day. I love musicals, I still get my 'Phantom of the Opera' fix every once in a while by watching the movie.

message 35: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 344 comments Haha, I read "a night at the opera" and was thinking: "Oh, Queen!" (Best LP bargain I ever made. I got shivers when Bohemian Rhapsody started playing, because I pretended to listen to it for the first time.)

Apart from Queen, I'm not much into opera :) But Cabaret is so good! What a great choice for Valentine's Day. I hope you'll enjoy yourselves!

message 36: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Iselin wrote: "Haha, I read "a night at the opera" and was thinking: "Oh, Queen!" (Best LP bargain I ever made. I got shivers when Bohemian Rhapsody started playing, because I pretended to listen to it for the fi..."

It was a little play on words - Queen is totally epic and so was the Marx brothers' movie. I've never seen Cabaret, I'm glad you can recommend it!

message 37: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments Every week I check out PlayMusic (Googles) free album. I got Imagine Dragons, Best of Motley Crew, etc that way. So far I haven't been disappointed.

message 38: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 344 comments Leigh wrote: "Iselin wrote: "Haha, I read "a night at the opera" and was thinking: "Oh, Queen!" (Best LP bargain I ever made. I got shivers when Bohemian Rhapsody started playing, because I pretended to listen t..."

My rec is based on the film alone, but the music is fantastic. And so funny. And the story adds a bit of sadness and hope to the mix. The cabaret becomes a metaphor for life, and for me, all the pieces add up perfectly. You can tell I adore it :)

message 39: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Joey wrote: "Every week I check out PlayMusic (Googles) free album. I got Imagine Dragons, Best of Motley Crew, etc that way. So far I haven't been disappointed."

I never realised they did that, I better start looking :)

message 40: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Leigh wrote: "I've grown to like more folk as I've gotten *gasp* older - lots of acoustic guitars, mandolins, fiddles and natural sounding voices."

I am a big fan of ceilidh so anything folk etc. that makes me want to dance around the room :D

Recently I have sometimes put stuff by the Rough Island Band Oysterband and Bellowhead quietly on in the background when working :)

I also love the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - their video take on Wuthering Heights amuses me greatly, also their version of Shaft :P

message 41: by Abrea (new)

Abrea (elorendil) | 44 comments The opera I went to this weekend was absolutely phenomenal! It was just composed in 2006, so it's pretty new. It's based on an Indian folk tale. I loved the more progressive use of tonality, and the blending of dance and aria was sublime.

message 42: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments @Abrea - I'm glad you enjoyed the opera, it sounds fascinating.

We had a wonderful time at Cabaret, it was fabulous, the cast was very talented. I was happy that only half the songs were translated in French, although I could follow those, too, I always think the original language for a show or movie works best.

message 43: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Freya wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I've grown to like more folk as I've gotten *gasp* older - lots of acoustic guitars, mandolins, fiddles and natural sounding voices."

I am a big fan of ceilidh so anything folk etc. ..."

Do you have any particular songs in ceilidh style to recommend or youtube links? I'd love to listen to some!

message 44: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Leigh wrote: "Freya wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I've grown to like more folk as I've gotten *gasp* older - lots of acoustic guitars, mandolins, fiddles and natural sounding voices."

I am a big fan of ceilidh so anyth..."

Ahaha off the top of my head I can't think, but of one of the ones I've mentioned is this album and the track Barnaby Lane is currently stuck in my head :)

message 45: by Joey (new)

Joey (mostlyjoe) | 178 comments Rinn wrote: "Joey wrote: "Every week I check out PlayMusic (Googles) free album. I got Imagine Dragons, Best of Motley Crew, etc that way. So far I haven't been disappointed."

I never realised they did that, I..."

Ya. Mind you, I got Saturday Night Fever on discount last night and it made my day. I forgot how awesome that soundtrack was.