Jewish Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Nominations for our December 2020 book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jan (last edited Oct 19, 2020 07:55PM) (new)

Jan Rice | 1666 comments Mod
Now taking nominations for fiction on the subject of: interfaith marriages or relationships.

We are mostly staying away from nonfiction since we're looking for a topic readable by all rather than advice to some.

Here is a list of examples of what we have in mind. Okay to nominate from the list or beyond the list. We are looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

The Linotype Operator by Michael Robert Wolf -- $.99 on Kindle and with used copies + postage around $10. Not in my library.
You or Someone Like You by Chandler Burr -- was something of a controversial hit 10+ years ago, so lots of used copies around and in libraries.
Someday the Rabbi Will Leave by Harry Kemelman -- hailing from '86; lots of copies and even a Kindle version
An Unorthodox Match by Naomi Reagan -- Not very old (2017) so not very cheap, but it's in libraries.
The English Disease by Joseph Skibell -- a moderate number of inexpensive used copies + in library
Christmas for Joshua by Avraham Azrieli -- Only a few inexpensive used copies are available, but $2.99 Kindle and new paperback is $12.99 on Amazon

We're hoping for eight nominations by the end of the week. (Yes, we're experimenting with eight instead of six.)
One nomination per person, please.
Another list of suggestions does not constitute a nomination.

You can scroll through the years on the home page or through the group bookshelf to see if the group has already read a book.

Nominations by a book's author or other interested parties will be deleted. Please nominate the book on this subject that you'd most like to read.

In the context of the ensuing discussion, we'll arrive at a consensus on the nominations, with your moderators helping to vet for availability etc., and then, next week, we'll have a poll!

message 2: by debra (new)

debra  L | 101 comments The Linotype Operator sounds good. I would throw in a extra complicated "relationship" story: "All The Rivers" by Dorit Rabinyan the true story of an Israeli in NYC and her complicated relationship with a Palestinian . We had a very active discussion at our book club - very well written and emotional story.

message 3: by Jan (new)

debra wrote: "The Linotype Operator sounds good. I would throw in a extra complicated "relationship" story: "All The Rivers" by Dorit Rabinyan the true story of an Israeli in NYC and her complicated relationship..."

Hi, Debra, and thanks: I added All the Rivers to the suggestion list. Are you holding off, or are you nominating The Linotype Operator?

message 4: by debra (new)

debra  L | 101 comments Jan wrote: "debra wrote: "The Linotype Operator sounds good. I would throw in a extra complicated "relationship" story: "All The Rivers" by Dorit Rabinyan the true story of an Israeli in NYC and her complicate..."

I’ll wait a bit to see what else turns up and look a little closer at the others. But put Linotype on my "to read" list regardless

message 5: by Lior (new)

Lior (liorleves) | 10 comments I don't know if The Whole Story of Half a Girl would fit the topic ?

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (mjk113) | 2 comments The Linotype Operator sounds really good.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan An Unorthodox Match is not about interfaith marriage, unless a not terribly observant woman marrying an Haredi Orthodox man constitutes interfaith marriage. It doesn’t, in my book. I read this book and was wildly unimpressed. I didn’t finish it, actually.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan And I don’t think Someday The Rabbi Will leave is about interfaith marriage either. I’m sorry that I don’t have anything to nominate.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Susan wrote: "And I don’t think Someday The Rabbi Will leave is about interfaith marriage either. I’m sorry that I don’t have anything to nominate."

Susan, there's an argument to be made on An Unorthodox Match!

Maybe about The Rabbi too. Haven't read. Stacey?

Susan, yes, there are books that I as well don't finish. It happens!

message 10: by Jan (new)

Marilyn wrote: "The Linotype Operator sounds really good."

Okay, the second time interest expressed in The Linotype Operator. So considering it to be Nomination No. 1.

Hey. you all: please be more specific and come out and say, "I nominate ...."
Thanks! 🙂

message 11: by Jan (new)

debra wrote: "Jan wrote: "debra wrote: "The Linotype Operator sounds good. I would throw in a extra complicated "relationship" story: "All The Rivers" by Dorit Rabinyan the true story of an Israeli in NYC and he..."

Sorry I jumped over this comment, Debra. Hopefully Marilyn won't mind my entering it as her nomination.

message 12: by Jan (new)

Lior wrote: "I don't know if The Whole Story of Half a Girl would fit the topic ?"

Thanks, Lior. Will look it up shortly.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 130 comments Well i can think of two that I have already read. One fiction, and one non-fiction. How's Your Faith by David Gregory features a close look at his deepening Jewish journey, in an interfaith marriage context. The chapter on his coming to terms with that was amazing, and unforgettable.

The other one is Joshua. Was that really the name of it? Took my breath away. In my top ten for life.

message 14: by Stacey B (last edited Oct 18, 2020 06:57PM) (new)

Stacey B | 1053 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "And I don’t think Someday The Rabbi Will leave is about interfaith marriage either. I’m sorry that I don’t have anything to nominate."

I read "An Unorthodox Match", and can understand Susan why you differ in opinion. The totality of the issue culminated near the end, which you may have liked.
The first book is tangential. This is a "fiction" novel that relates to widower with young children and a female reform jewish woman who moves into the UO community.
It tends to express the feeling that marrying outside of their Ultra-Orthodox culture is the belief it falls under the guise of intermarriage.
It speaks from the viewpoint of Ultra Orthodox jews as well as from the family of the the reform jews.
I did not read "Someday The Rabbi Will Leave".
While vetting the books, this one popped up under the genre.
When reading about it first on Amazon, the opening line of the synopsis talks about intermarriage in this story.
Reading on to other reviews as well, they, talk about the rabbi counseling couples for just this reason, jewish politics, and other issues a Rabbi plays as their spiritual leader.
One of the reasons I chose this to use as an example, is because it has a cross section of genres, which includes "mystery".
Being aware that some may not care to read a straight forward fiction; this one can be enjoyed as having an extra perk of a "Who Dunitt" Dunnitt, or Done It.
Sometimes, it is little unsettling being volunteers, and knowing we are not able to make everyone happy by the genres or books we may choose.
This is why we changed the group to voting on at least 6-8 different books including a Mod Choice in lieu of being assigned one book per month to read without any other choice.
The examples of books are used by many to create a book list of
"Books that are Similar to What you Read"
ps.. i had no time to proof this, while spellcheck isn't working.

message 15: by Stacey B (new)

Amy wrote: "Well i can think of two that I have already read. One fiction, and one non-fiction. How's Your Faith by David Gregory features a close look at his deepening Jewish journey, in an interfaith marriag..."
Amy- was it "Christmas for Joshua"?

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments Chuckerman Makes a Movie by Francie Arenson Dickman is a great recent novel that would be a perfect read for this genre/subject.

message 17: by Stacey B (new)

Laura wrote: "Chuckerman Makes a Movie by Francie Arenson Dickman is a great recent novel that would be a perfect read for this genre/subject."
Thank you Laura, we have to check it out and get right back to you.

message 18: by Jan (new)

Lior wrote: "I don't know if The Whole Story of Half a Girl would fit the topic ?"

Hi again, Lior. I did look it up, and was thinking the issue in The Whole Story of Half a Girl is the offspring rather than the relationship itself. Which might be okay; I was thinking about that re this month's book, The Last Watchman of Old Cairo, in which one of the protagonists is the child of an interfaith marriage. But from the publisher's blurb, it sounds like The Whole Story is more centered on relationships of mixed ethnicity instead of on interfaith relationships. (Like The Color of Water, which we read recently). So, I think, possibly best to wait for a better-fitting genre on this one! Hope you'll jump back in with another nomination instead, Lior.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Stacey wrote: "...Amy- was it "Christmas for Joshua"? ."

I looked that up, and hope Amy will nominate it. Good reviews! I wouldn't mindrreading something by that author, Avraham Azrieli. Never heard of this book before or of him!

There are not too many inexpensive used books, & not in my library, but inexpensive Kindle and new paperback of $12.99. And some used copies out there.

message 20: by Stacey B (new)

Jan- that book was good.

message 21: by Jan (new)

Laura wrote: "Chuckerman Makes a Movie by Francie Arenson Dickman is a great recent novel that would be a perfect read for this genre/subject."

Stacey wrote: "Laura wrote: "Chuckerman Makes a Movie by Francie Arenson Dickman is a great recent novel that would be a perfect read for this genre/subject."
Thank you Laura, we have to check it out and get righ..."

I looked it up. Chuckerman looks like a fun read, and it does have a Jewish theme. But is the non-Jewish love interest a significant part of the book? I really couldn't tell from the publisher's blurb or the Goodreads reviews. If the interfaith relationship is significant, please let us know, Laura!

message 22: by Jan (new)

Stacey wrote: "Jan- that book was good."

Yes, so I gathered. 😍 Christmas for Joshua -- hope Amy will go on & nominate it!

message 23: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 79 comments I can only come up with nonfiction books :(

Would Coyote Dream by Jessica Davis Stein fit the bill? Main love interests are a Jewish woman and Native American male :)

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 130 comments No. It was Joshua: A Brooklyn Tale. I knew Brooklyn was in the title. I’d be happy to nominate and I hope it’s right now.

message 25: by Stacey B (new)

Hi Amy.
The book you refer to looks great based on reviews from GR's and Amazon.
But ..from what I only-gleaned from those reviews was more about an inter-racial story that includes a jewish girl, two men taking place in a strict Orthodox community.
I haven't read it, so I ask you... Does it address an inter-marriage within the book taking place or took place that examines through fiction the pro's and cons of intermarriage? Should we save it for a future genre we are doing.
I leave this as- "your call".

message 26: by Stacey B (new)

Aurora wrote: "I can only come up with nonfiction books :(

Would Coyote Dream by Jessica Davis Stein fit the bill? Main love interests are a Jewish woman and Native American male :)"

Hi.
You are right.
It wasn't easy to vet books for this genre. :)
This one also sounds great! All of them do.
Yet, again, I think we should save this for an upcoming genre.
Im thinking at the moment the best idea is to address the group regarding December's genre. Have to think it through if I do it.

message 27: by Judith (new)

Judith Bluestone | 27 comments I don't know much about any of the books. A Brooklyn Tale sounds good. I was going to vote for the Rabbi Small mystery, but, if it doesn't fit the topic, I'll trust others' opinions. Some of the others seem interesting (The Linotype...); however, I'll have to see cost or whether in my local library.

message 28: by Stacey B (new)

Judith wrote: "I don't know much about any of the books. A Brooklyn Tale sounds good. I was going to vote for the Rabbi Small mystery, but, if it doesn't fit the topic, I'll trust others' opinions. Some of the ot..."
Hi Judith.
As you saw, I didn't read the book, but promise you I have no vested interest in this book. :)
It did come up under the genre when I put in the search.
I did see however, that the first line in the books synopsis was about "intermarriage" which is the first reason I kept at it.
As the book includes many issues, intermarriage being one, it also addresses a different of intermarriage problem.
( I may have this a little mixed up, and backwards, but the gist )..is
the President of temple becomes enraged that his Rabbi is going to perform or does perform an intermarriage wedding ceremony according to the bylaws of the temple.
The long standing members of the temple are divided between
the old and new guard in seeing their community change with each generation. Do we care the Rabbi could be fired over this?-
It may be that he voices his opinions of reason making the point.
In any case Judith, there is plenty of time to see what other books become nominated before you vote.
I hope this book is on the short side-I have time to read it in between. It sounds entertaining as which is what I need. :)

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan Stacey, et. al., I guess I didn’t read enough about “The Rabbi ...” book to realize that there was an interfaith connection. I don’t know how much the fact that the Rabbi counsels people about interfaith marriage contributes to the overall plot, though. I’ve read several books in this series and enjoyed them. They are light, easy reads, often mildly amusing.

I did see something on Amazon by an author I’d not heard of. I will look it up and maybe submit for nomination if it seems appropriate.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan I nominate CLUB REVELATION, by Allen Appel ( who is not my favorite author, Jacob Appel. This is the summary from Amazon:

“Appel's hilarious novel follows three interfaith Jewish/Christian couples who unwittingly rent the ground floor of their brownstone to a charming Southern evangelist. Serving his own blend of Christian cuisine, he opens a restaurant in the space, hoping to convert the Jews of the Upper West Side. His scheme destroys the harmony of the building when one of his six landlords finds comfort in the preacher's conversion-by-gastronomy methods.

Appel's mix of comedy and theology conjoin effortlessly in an entertaining, fast, and funny story which reevaluates our meanings of faith and marriage in twenty-first century America.”

message 31: by Stacey B (new)

Susan, this book sounds like it fits the bill.
Consider it "Nominated".
Thank you.

message 32: by Jan (new)

Club Revelation

Stacey wrote: "Susan, this book sounds like it fits the bill.
Consider it "Nominated".
Thank you."

Susan wrote: "I nominate CLUB REVELATION, by Allen Appel ( who is not my favorite author, Jacob Appel. This is the summary from Amazon:

“Appel's hilarious novel follows three interfaith Jewish/Christian couples..."

And it's available! No Kindle and not in libraries, but there are inexpensive used copies on Amazon Marketplace and AbeBooks. Amazon could not find it when I put in the title alone -- kept giving me religious texts -- but found it when I put in author's name with "Allan" spelled correctly! ISBN 1566891183

message 33: by Jan (new)

Judith wrote: "I don't know much about any of the books. A Brooklyn Tale sounds good. I was going to vote for the Rabbi Small mystery, but, if it doesn't fit the topic, I'll trust others' opinions. Some of the ot..."

Judith, it's okay to nominate the mystery if you like. We may have strong opinions but they are various. It does fit the topic for nominations. THEN we vote! 🙂

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan wrote: "Stacey wrote: "Jan- that book was good."

Yes, so I gathered. 😍 Christmas for Joshua -- hope Amy will go on & nominate it!"

Christmas for Joshua is not the book that Amy was thinking of, but sounds like a good author! I'll add to the suggestion list in case somebody else feels like nominating it.

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy | 130 comments Interfaith relationship but not necessarily marriage. If you’d like to save it for another time it’s a goodie!

message 36: by Jan (new)

Further clarification of topic:
Okay, this isn't in response to Amy or anybody else in particular, but a general clarification.

What we're looking for is the impact of the religious differences rather than cultural or ethnic differences.

And the reason it's hard is because we're talking about a continuum rather than an absolute difference -- since there are going to be some cultural differences when there are religious differences.

But, An Unorthodox Match (from the suggestion list at the top) is in, since religious differences are key (and in fact some families who have experienced this do remark that it feels like a different religion!).
I will take All the Rivers back off of the suggestion list. It's the one about the Israeli and the Palestinian. Reason is that the Goodreads reviews say the primary issue is their political differences. Doesn't mean it's not a good book; can go in some later genre or topic.
I think Coyote Dream is more about dealing with the ethnic differences of the Native American and the Jew, so will save it too.
Joshua: A Brooklyn Tale is at least partly about religious issues so let's accept that as a nomination. If we're too strict we won't have many nominations! It's our third.
And now there's a consensus that Someday the Rabbi Will Leave meets the criteria, so will Judith or somebody please nominate it? 🙂
Laura, can you answer my question in Comment No. 21 above about Chuckerman Makes a Move? More info needed on that one!
If you made one of the nominations that we said doesn't fit, please make another! See the other titles on the suggestion list.
And remember: these are still only the nominations. Next week, a poll will follow!

message 37: by Jan (new)

Joshua: A Brooklyn Tale is our 3rd nomination.

message 38: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 79 comments Am still struggling in trying to understand. Would THE COLOR OF LIGHT by Helen Maryles Shankman work by the way?

message 39: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 79 comments Got another one! Love and treasure by Ayelet Waldman. One of the stories does deal with different Jewish backgrounds and understandings. ( second one.)

message 40: by debra (new)

debra  L | 101 comments Amy wrote: "Well i can think of two that I have already read. One fiction, and one non-fiction. How's Your Faith by David Gregory features a close look at his deepening Jewish journey, in an interfaith marriag..."

Amy wrote: "Well i can think of two that I have already read. One fiction, and one non-fiction. How's Your Faith by David Gregory features a close look at his deepening Jewish journey, in an interfaith marriag..."

Do you mean Joshua a Brooklyn Tale? Excellent book!!

message 41: by Jan (new)

Aurora wrote: "Am still struggling in trying to understand. Would THE COLOR OF LIGHT by Helen Maryles Shankman work by the way?"

Here's a nice review of it, but I don't think it fits. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Stacey? What do you think?

message 42: by debra (new)

debra  L | 101 comments Jan wrote: "Further clarification of topic:
Okay, this isn't in response to Amy or anybody else in particular, but a general clarification.

What we're looking for is the impact of the religious differences ra..."

just for the record, All the Rivers, is not just about a political difference. The relationship does deal with cultural, political AND religious difference as evident in conversations with each character's religiously observant families and the difficulties this would pose. That said, its fine to leave it for another topic. as a true story with an unexpected ending its a good read :)

message 43: by Stacey B (new)

Aurora-
Im impressed with the amount of book hunting you have been
doing, but I feel terrible.
Would it be ok if I responded to you in the morning?
Im wiped from the day; every time I get ready to put my computer to sleep, another post comes in which I feel needs to be answered asap. I will owe you one. :)

message 44: by debra (new)

debra  L | 101 comments Meanwhile, there is a gem of a book that might fit the bill... (see what you think) "The Invisible Wall" takes place in an English mill town on the eve of WWI on a street that divides Jewish families from Christians on either side of the street. Back cover reports: "a story of family secrets and forbidden love" NYTimes called it a "Romeo & Juliet drama" This too, could get saved for another time, also a remarkably written book by a this first time author in his 90's!

message 45: by Stacey B (new)

I read that. It was great.
I promise I will respond in the am.
I now owe you and Aurora- not a problem, happy to do it.
I am now going to pull the plug on the computer.
Otherwise I will be a mess in the morning. :)

message 46: by Yael (new)

Yael Shahar | 3 comments I would like to nominate By Light of Hidden Candles by Daniella Levy.

It follows two college students--one Jewish and one Catholic--as they research their roots in Inquisition-era Spain. While the present-day students have a chance at an interfaith friendship, the book also tells the story of a similar friendship five hundred years earlier that faced far more difficulties. The author also has a discussion guide for the book on her website.

[full disclosure: I did the cover and layout for the book]

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy | 130 comments I wrote a review of that book! The light of the hidden candles. Did you say that you had done the cover? I think the cover is what drew me to the book. And I’m not usually a covers person. But it was gorgeous!

message 48: by Stacey B (new)

Amy wrote: "I wrote a review of that book! The light of the hidden candles. Did you say that you had done the cover? I think the cover is what drew me to the book. And I’m not usually a covers person. But it w..."
The cover was- gorgeous.
If my memory is correct, wasn't there a few different covers that
were sent via posts to see which ones we thought would be better to capture the title and story?

message 49: by Stacey B (new)

Yael wrote: "I would like to nominate By Light of Hidden Candles by Daniella Levy.

It follows two college students--one Jewish and one Catholic--as they research their roots in Inquisition-era..."

Yael- I believe I met you awhile ago in New York, near NYU.
I responded to Amy's comment about the cover.
Was my memory right regarding the covers? I think there were three?

message 50: by Stacey B (new)

Yael-
Thank you sharing the full disclosure. Many do not.
Must be your security back-round. :)
As soon as I connect with Jan, I will write you back per this book.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.