Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Not My Father's Son
This topic is about Not My Father's Son
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Cumming, Alan - Not My Father's Son - Informal Buddy Read; Start: January 19, 2015

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming

Book Synopsis:
In his unique and engaging voice, the acclaimed actor of stage and screen shares the emotional story of his complicated relationship with his father and the deeply buried family secrets that shaped his life and career

A beloved star of stage, television, and film, Alan Cumming is a successful artist whose diversity and fearlessness is unparalleled. His success masks a painful childhood growing up under the heavy rule of an emotionally and physically abusive father—a relationship that tormented him long into adulthood.

When television producers in the UK approached him to appear on a popular celebrity genealogy show in 2010, Alan enthusiastically agreed. He hoped the show would solve a family mystery involving his maternal grandfather, a celebrated WWII hero who disappeared in the Far East. But as the truth of his family ancestors revealed itself, Alan learned far more than he bargained for about himself, his past, and his own father.

With ribald humor, wit, and incredible insight, Alan seamlessly moves back and forth in time, integrating stories from his childhood in Scotland and his experiences today as a film, television, and theater star. At times suspenseful, deeply moving, and wickedly funny, Not My Father’s Son will make readers laugh even as it breaks their hearts.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I started it this morning on audio. I love the sound of his voice.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I'm on disc 2. He did not have a happy childhood.

message 6: by Snowtulip (last edited Feb 05, 2015 07:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snowtulip | 4437 comments I also love his voice, I'm going to have to look into his narrations of fiction.

He's always been an intriguing actor and personality for me, not how I expected his life so far.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I have the book. I will read this as well. He is a yummy Scottish guy, his voice is awesome.

Sarah | 3273 comments I have the audio on hold on my Overdrive. Maybe I can join later on down the road, if I can squeeze it in.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm still waiting for my copy from the library. I would love to listen to it. I can listen to Alan Cumming all day!.

Snowtulip | 4437 comments Cynthia wrote: "I'm still waiting for my copy from the library. I would love to listen to it. I can listen to Alan Cumming all day!."

I'm discovering that I can listen to him all day as well! I bought Macbeth, loved the sample with him :)

Cynthia (cynthiab) Snowtulip wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "I'm still waiting for my copy from the library. I would love to listen to it. I can listen to Alan Cumming all day!."

I'm discovering that I can listen to him all day as well! I b..."

Ooh, yes. I would love that. I think I have 2 Audible credits to use. I don't listen to a lot of audiobooks. I'm picky about it. More than once I've hated the audio but enjoyed reading the book myself.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm reading it, then once I get the audio book from my library I will listen to it. :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "I'm still waiting for my copy from the library. I would love to listen to it. I can listen to Alan Cumming all day!."

I'm discovering that I can listen to him all day as well! I b..."

Oh my goodness I listened to the sample of Macbeth, thank you for sharing that because that is on my to get list. OH MY, Alan, yum yum. I could listen to his voice all day.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I think his intro is my favorite part of Masterpiece Mystery.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments He is in Dracula. That was Octobers free Audible download. It was both Alan and Tim Curry, it was really good.

Cynthia (cynthiab) RachelvlehcaR wrote: "He is in Dracula. That was Octobers free Audible download. It was both Alan and Tim Curry, it was really good."

Is there a free download every month? I didn't know that. I'm just trying out a free 3 month membership. It ends 2/22.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Yes, every month. This month is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Last month was The Time Machine, it's always a classic book. But it has great narration. Always.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Go to this link Whispersync for Voice Deals

Go to the left side and it's the third option "Read and Listen for Free"

Every month they will have a free book listed.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I didn't realize anyone had finally joined this. I don't know if I'll be able to get back to this soon. I'm a little overwhelmed with schoolwork right now.