Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea
This topic is about Nothing to Envy
Group Reads Discussions > Discussion for Nothing to Envy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jamie rebeca (jamieramie) | 1 comments I really liked this book I have also read In Order to Live which I liked too

message 3: by Kerry (last edited Oct 23, 2020 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kerry | 1 comments Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea This was one of the most profoundly heartbreaking and eye opening books I have ever read. It’s unimaginable in the late 20th Century but still happened. I wish everyone who wants more government involvement in society and their daily lives would read this book. It’s a nightmare.

message 4: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane  | 12958 comments Definitely a well-written and eye-opening book. Our problems seems so small comparatively.

RachelG. | 480 comments I have read other books about North Korea in the past but feel that Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea was the most comprehensive. I agree with Kerry that it is very heartbreaking. It really makes me think and I was glad I read the book.

Woman Reading  | 106 comments I wanted to read with the group, but it took a while for my library hold to come in. It was fascinating! This was my first book about North Korea, and I liked Demick's comprehensive coverage.

It's terrible and surprising how long this regime has persisted. Some of the defectors thought that North Korea would collapse, and yet 20 years after they had fled, the grandson is at the helm.

My review- www.Goodreads.com/review/show/3658935172