Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Drenai Saga > Legend - Finished **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Sorry for the delay. Long weekend and all that.

Post here if you've finished Legend by David Gemmell.

Spoilers are allowed here so beware.

message 2: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 6 comments i thought it was excellent and im not usually into fantasy never mind this type but it was great.

Every single sentence with Druss was a joy to read, the rek storyline was good but at times him and virae? bored me but with such short chapters it was never a problem. Druss was a great hero.

Oddly enough i own the first and third books but not the second. Will certainly continue with the series.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 212 comments I really enjoyed this book - although it's hard to point to exactly why. Probably the courage against overwhelming odds. I'm glad this group is doing the series - it will give me a good reason to read the next one.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 49 comments The story is really good at tugging at your emotions and getting you subconsciously involved. Truly heroic story with flawed but exceptional characters, a great setting... loved it!

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen Pickle wrote: "i thought it was excellent and im not usually into fantasy never mind this type but it was great.

Every single sentence with Druss was a joy to read, the rek storyline was good but at times him an..."

Ditto. I seem to have bought about five at random!

message 6: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 27 comments I think I'm in the minority here that didn't enjoy this book that much. I had written a huge and very detailed review, explaining the why and how but it just got lost due to a power failure... there go a thousand (plus) words into electronic oblivion. Anyway, in short here's my personal opinion of it (copied from my now-short review) and I hope that I don't anger anyone with it!

characterization - bad, unrealistic & cliched - women portrayal even worse
pacing - fast and good enough for such a book
plot - acceptable but with several idiotic moments and a lot of unjustified ones
writing - a bit cringe-inducing at times, I'd say not good enough, especially with today's fantasy standards

If I had read this book when I was a teenager 20 years ago, I would have probably liked it much more. But I've grown as a person and as a reader and so has the whole genre of fantasy literature. This is not good enough any more for me. I'm not saying don't read it, just know that this is pretty much base traditional fantasy and not of the good quality. Later Gemmell books are much better and I would recommend those instead of this one.

message 7: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 51 comments Contrariwise, I thought his Drenai novels at least rapidly became worse. [I agree with the limitations of the writing in Legend, but at least he had a real story in mind with characters and emotions and so on]. They become carbon copy repetitions of each other, as though he were jotting things down from a book of 'heroic fantasy plots for beginners', but got stuck on the same page.

That said, I do still have good memories of Knight of Dark Renown, and of the Shannow novels - should probably try rereading them at some point.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 49 comments There must be some reason that there are Awards in his honor...

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Tarr (fionatarr) | 5 comments Pickle wrote: "i thought it was excellent and im not usually into fantasy never mind this type but it was great.

Every single sentence with Druss was a joy to read, the rek storyline was good but at times him an..."

If you enjoyed the character of Druss, have you read Druss the Legend yet? My husband is a Druss fan, but of all of David Gemmell's Characters, Waylander has always been my favourite.

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (thorn969) | 34 comments I enjoyed the strong thread of ironic, dry, self-mocking humor running throughout.

I found the characters not very likable, deep, consistent, or convincing.

The book was too deep and dark and long to be sustained on humor alone and I thought the characters and world were too weak to really make me want to read more.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Legend (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Gemmell (other topics)