WRITERS' CORNER discussion

Books > Your favorite books. And why you love them

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) I'll go first.
My favorite book, and this is four years' running, is Christine by Stephen King.
It's notoriously one of his least-liked books, second only to Hearts in Atlantis, but I still love it.
I was 11 when I read it, and everything King wrote about was all really new to me. Sex, drugs, alcohol, rock 'n roll, haunted cars...
I had ZERO experience when it came to horror at that point. I'd been watching the Goosebumps marathon on Cartoon Network every year since I was six, I'd been sneaking peaks at movies like Friday the 13th and Halloween, only to have them switched off by a grown-up, I'd been reading serial additions of the EC archives that, some how, I traded off my friend.
And then I found out Christine was about a car.
I was an extreme motorhead back in the day, especially muscle cars from the 60's.

There's nothing too special about Christine.
It's not The Stand.
It's not Firestarter.
It's not The Dark Tower.
It's just Christine the Rust Queen, lean, mean killing machine. Built in the heyday of American cars...
And bloodthirsty.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm...That's a tough one, because I have LOTS of faves. Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire, Hunger Games. I LOVED Wuthering Heights - it's the only classic I couldn't put down. World War Z - I had to stop reading that one every now and then and go back to it, because it was so disturbing, but a fantastic read.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) I have a bunch of favorites too, but Christine is my number-one. I don't know why; everyone I talk to about it seems to hate it, but I've read three additional times since then and I still love it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love how subjective books can be. And I'm not a Stephen King person, not hard core. Loved the Shining, but didn't move on from there.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) I've read a few (not The Shining yet) and I really like him.
I even read Gerald's Game, which everyone seemed to hate more than Christine. XD

message 6: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 59 comments I'm afraid I don't like Stephen King very much (don't hate me!). I tried one of his books a few years ago and just couldn't read it. Maybe I'll give him another shot soon.

My favorite book (it has been since I was 10) is The Shack by William Paul Young. It was the first "grown-up" book I ever read and I was properly traumatized. I remember being horrified that someone actually dies! Mostly the book deals with how a father copes with his grief and come to terms with God. It's more a spiritual exploration than anything. I highly recommend.

message 7: by Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (last edited Jan 23, 2015 01:57PM) (new)

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) Kaylie, don't ever worry about someone hating on your books here, it's a safe place to discuss what type of books you like/dislike without judgment.

I think my mom had a copy of The Shack, and I also wanted to read it because it was a 'grown-up' book, but I never finished it.

message 8: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I never read The Shack, but I'm curious about it and my mom said I could read it, even though we believe the theology is way off compared to what we believe. It can't be any worse than House, which is a similar book by two Christian authors. It was creepy, and wierd, but that's not why I didn't love it. Oh well, I won't get into all that. ;)

message 9: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 59 comments I wouldn't force anyone to read it of course, but I do highly recommend it. Theology aside it was a nice read that helped me to understand a bit more about how to process certain feelings and thoughts.

I appreciate the place to speak about the books I like. If I thought for a moment that I wouldn't be welcome, I wouldn't be here.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) I love Stephen King. I actually enjoyed Christine. I really liked The Eyes of The Dragon, which is another of his that isn't well known, I guess cause it's a fantasy.
My favorite is still Salem's Lot followed closely by Needful Things. The real horrors in his books aren't the monsters, it's the evil inside people.

Hmm, my faves though? That's hard. Watership Down and Wuthering Heights are definitely way up there on the list. My favorite graphic novel of all time is The Crow, hands down. My favorite children's series... tie between Harry Potter and The Dark is Rising.

But there are so many others!!

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) It's freakin' hard to pick, isn't it?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who liked Christine. :)
I have a lot of faves, but Christine is my number one.
My favorite classic is The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but what American 4th grader didn't read that, right?
My favorite children's series is The Wishbone Mysteries. I loved the show when I was little and I read every one of the mysteries between 3rd and 5th grade.
My favorite graphic novel is a tie between Kick-Ass and Locke and Key.

message 12: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 59 comments I guess I'll add a couple more to my favorites list. I absolutely love Edgar Allan Poe and Robert Frost. Seriously, I read them like once a week.

As far as books go, I'd have to add The Phantom of the Opera to my list. I know, I know. Stage diva meets deformed genius. What could ever go wrong? If I didn't enjoy the book so much, I'd probably laugh at myself.

There are so many other books that I love, it's hard to pick a few. I'll be reading a lot this weekend as there is another snowstorm on the way, possibly two. Hopefully I can knock a few more of my list. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm always willing to try a few new authors!

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) You've read Phantom of the Opera? ;0
Impressive. I've always wanted to, but it intimidates me. >.<

message 14: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I just read the book and it was actually really good!!! I loved the musical, and found it to be pretty accurate to the book. They make you like the characters better and they take out a bunch of scenes in the play, but other than that it's pretty much the same.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) I'll have to try it.

message 16: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) It's worth it

message 17: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 59 comments I actually really liked both of them. I thought the book was better though. Aren't they always? There were differences in the movie that I didn't really like, but I loved the music. You should give it a shot. It's a really good read.

message 18: by Madison (new)

Madison | 116 comments I have to say that I absolutely loved the Hunger Games series. When I started the first book, I couldn't put it down and then had to get the next two ASAP. I loved how they had such a strong female character in Katniss Everdeen; although I must say that in Mockingjay, she seemed to be less of the strong character and more of an annoying character. But overall, I loved the series!

message 19: by Night Owl (last edited Feb 26, 2015 07:28AM) (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) For me, it would be Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli, and The Giver by Lois Lowry.

I loved Stargirl because it helped me coped, and even accept my oddities in middle school and high school. You all know how it is, so won't bore you with the specifics of middle school and high school life.

I love The Giver because the world was both scary and fascinating, I find myself shocked and disturbed at each new revelation. (view spoiler) That was the only thing that didn't surprised me, but horrified me as a middle schooler all the same.

A new favorite of mine is Identical by Ellen Hopkins, that book, that book was pretty frightening is all I'm going to say. It starts out kind of eerie...I just like books that kinda spooks me or surprises me, I guess.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

@Sarah I LOVE The Giver! Have you read the sequels yet?

My favourite book is Delirium by Lauren Oliver! It is such an amazing book with amazing characters! Lauren Oliver is such a fantastic author and she can bring words on a page to life. It's safe to say that I cried a lot in that book!

message 21: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Crosby wrote: "@Sarah I LOVE The Giver! Have you read the sequels yet?

My favourite book is Delirium by Lauren Oliver! It is such an amazing book with amazing characters! Lauren Oliver is such a fantastic author..."

I read the messenger, and tried to read the other one, can't remember the name...but couldn't really get into it. I read half of Son, and just didn't feel connected or interested. I'm sorry if you like the sequels, but I really don't think I'm ever going to finish the sequels I have yet to finish. The first book was my favorite, compared to Messenger, and the parts of the other two books I did read.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "Crosby wrote: "@Sarah I LOVE The Giver! Have you read the sequels yet?

My favourite book is Delirium by Lauren Oliver! It is such an amazing book with amazing characters! Lauren Oliver is such a f..."

Ummmm, I think you may have read them in the wrong order. It goes Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, and then Son. Maybe that's why you couldn't get into it. I love that series.

message 23: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) TMEB wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Crosby wrote: "@Sarah I LOVE The Giver! Have you read the sequels yet?

My favourite book is Delirium by Lauren Oliver! It is such an amazing book with amazing characters! Lauren Oliv..."

I know, I don't remember why I read them in the order I did....it's possible when I was reading The Messenger, I didn't realize that you had to read the other one first. I found out a little bit later though.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh well, the order was kinda fussy anyways, since some of the books all followed different characters.