Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2020 > Science Fiction - November 2020

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6096 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Science Fiction nominee Wanderers in November. The winner for this genre was Recursion. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 3: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 878 comments I read Recursion and thought it was pretty good. Not my favorite by this author, but I do read everything he writes.

The one I am interested in is The Test. It is a short novella so I might actually get to squeeze this one in!

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I also read Recursion. I thought it was ok, but not quite as good as what I'd expect from Blake Crouch. I was bothered a bit by the repetition, but more so by some inconsistencies in the storyline. Still gave it 3 stars. If the inconsistencies didn't bother me so much, I might have pushed it up to 4 because there were parts that I really liked too. my review

I don't have any others that I'm really interested in.

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 878 comments Now that you mention that, Kristie I have to agree with you about the repetition. I remember too having to let some stuff go that didn't align correctly for me, but I couldn't figure it out with all the repetition so I just moved on.
I ended up rating it 5 stars, but I think I bumped it up because of the narrator ( I listened on audible). The narrator was excellent.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Vicki Willis wrote: "Now that you mention that, Kristie I have to agree with you about the repetition. I remember too having to let some stuff go that didn't align correctly for me, but I couldn't figure it out with al..."

From the spoiler in my review: (view spoiler) That's the part that really bothered me.

Maybe I would have preferred the audio for this one as well. I do think that some books are better in one format versus the other. I read this one on Kindle.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

You've read quite a few, Deborah. Which was your favorite? Any that you really liked or didn't care for?

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 107 comments Kristie wrote: "You've read quite a few, Deborah. Which was your favorite? Any that you really liked or didn't care for?"

The 5 stars are Recursion and Here and Now and Then

The 4 stars are A Memory Called Empire and The Light Brigade and The Future of Another Timeline and One Word Kill (but I don't recommend it because the next two in the series aren't as good.)

I didn't care for This Is How You Lose the Time War and Gideon the Ninth and The Test.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Thanks for the tip on One Word Kill. It was one that I was curious about. Here and Now and Then is another that is an interesting concept to me. I'm hesitant though because I don't always love time travel. Inconsistencies often jump out at me.

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (last edited Nov 02, 2020 01:08AM) (new)

Savanes | 2050 comments Mod
This genre is not my cup of tea but I'd like to read Dark Age. I just need to read Iron Gold before. So many series to finish up ::sigh::

Dark Age (Red Rising Saga, #5) by Pierce Brown