Goodreads Secret Santa discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2020 Secret Santa > 2020 Secret Santa General Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mel (last edited Oct 16, 2020 04:02PM) (new)

Mel (thatgirlbookworm) | 511 comments Mod
Hi everyone, the yearly Secret Santa is nearly upon us! I will be posting sign up information in about 3 weeks! This group is to chat, ask questions, etc.

Please feel free to invite your friends to the group!

message 2: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 102 comments thank you for doing this again. such a garbage year, this gives people something to look forward to. (:

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments I agree!! Thank you

message 4: by Sophi (new)

Sophi Brown (sophilebrun) | 8 comments really looking forward to this, more so than other years!

message 5: by Mel (new)

I’m glad to be seeing the excitement! I’m still not sure I can participate this year :(( book depository prices went from $12-20 per book to $20-35 per book :( this doesn’t seem to be affecting every country thankfully but it’s looking real bleak for me here in Canada.

It’s happened in the past where prices spike for a couple weeks but they’ve always come down. It’s been months now and they don’t seem to be going anywhere.

If there’s any other Canadians who join I’ll see if I can use Indigo instead but there’s not normally a ton of us maple people!

Melissa (Weasleyreader) | 4 comments Doesn’t BookOutlet go to Canada? Perhaps you can find someone who wants something that they have available?

message 7: by Kushmi (new)

Kushmi (kushih) | 57 comments Hiiiiiii... I was so excited for this but Book Depository has stopped shipping to Sri Lanka currently. So I guess that means I won't be able to join. Was looking forward to this so much

message 8: by Mel (new)

Oh dear has it actually?? What about Wordery? It’s another online bookstore that ships to many countries for free. If they ship to Sri Lanka then that will work.
The only thing is they very rarely have books I’m looking for in stock so you might need to do some research for a list :/

message 9: by Kushmi (last edited Oct 18, 2020 10:44PM) (new)

Kushmi (kushih) | 57 comments Yeah, it has :(, also some other countries are on the list of countries they have currently stopped shipping to. On Wordery, Sri Lanka isn't on the list of countries they ship too. I'm so sad ;(. And currently, something is wrong with there site I think, everything shows not available

message 10: by Mel (new)

Oh no I’m so sorry :( I mean if anything the only option I can think of is used books from Thriftbooks, etc. Some places don’t have THAT bad of international shipping.

I’ll try to brainstorm ideas, If you have any please let me know :(

message 11: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 34 comments Better world books ships to Sri Lanka!

message 12: by Kushmi (new)

Kushmi (kushih) | 57 comments Mel wrote: "Oh no I’m so sorry :( I mean if anything the only option I can think of is used books from Thriftbooks, etc. Some places don’t have THAT bad of international shipping.

I’ll try to brainstorm idea..."

I don't really have a problem with used books :), but it will be unfair for whoever gets me to also have to pay shipping nah :(.

If I think of anything, will let you know. Maybe in 3 weeks the restrictions to ship to Sri Lanka would be lifted. ;)

message 13: by Kushmi (new)

Kushmi (kushih) | 57 comments Jordyn wrote: "Better world books ships to Sri Lanka!"

Yesss they do. Seems a little pricey the books though. But probably have some reasonable ones. :)

Thank you!!!

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 46 comments As always I'm super excited for this!! but I think this year around, if it's possible to enter multiple times again, I'll only enter once or maaaaybe twice. I've hardly read physical books this year and mainly used my elibrary and scribd, so I wouldn't want to have someone send me a book that I WOULD LIKE to read but know I never actually will..... hope that makes sense..... idk I've been in a weird reading mood this year.....

message 15: by Mel (new)

I am considering opening it up to Ebooks this year. I’m trying to find the logistics for this.

I won’t be allowing amazon this year (sorry guys) but if I do ebooks that will be the exception.

message 16: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Are you meaning we can’t send the books we buy people from Amazon

message 17: by Mel (new)

Yes unfortunately not :( it’s caused a few issues in the past because the books often get there in like two days, and then if you need to cancel because someone has cheated out of sending, it’s too late. It ended up being a issue last year and a few people had to buy double books and people got a book who had no business doing so.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee | 10 comments are we able just to buy the book and mail it via post office?

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin Wasn't aware this existed, but super-excited to participate this year. The CRAZY shipping charges will be my little gift to myself (along with all the other, mostly alcohol based "little gifts to myself" I'll find myself giving to me throughout the season, and that includes the election season, Lord help us Americans!).

Thanks, Mel, for putting this together. As a thank you for making this happen, would you consider letting me "sponsor" your gift this year? You could just PM me the book you want to send and the person you are assigned and I'll take care of the rest. It would be an honor!

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin Oh, and with Amazon gift purchases, at least in the US, you can state the day you want the gift (an ebook) sent. Now, I know that people aren't always the best about following directions, but.....

message 21: by Mel (new)

Welcome to the group! Glad to have you :)

That’s a really kind offer I really appreciate it <3

I also wanted to give everyone a heads up that sign up begins on Thursday/Friday!

message 22: by Mel (new)

Also, if you haven’t already,

Please go to this post and recommend your favourite book/best book you’ve read in the last year!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 23: by TL (new)

TL  | 100 comments Mel wrote: "I am considering opening it up to Ebooks this year. I’m trying to find the logistics for this.

I won’t be allowing amazon this year (sorry guys) but if I do ebooks that will be the exception."

ebooks would work for me if that could be arranged.. different work situation

message 24: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 24 comments Mel wrote: "Welcome to the group! Glad to have you :)

That’s a really kind offer I really appreciate it <3

I also wanted to give everyone a heads up that sign up begins on Thursday/Friday!"

Ooh not long! I'm completely skint lol but somehow I will make it work! We need a bit of joy after this horrid year.

message 25: by Ashley Marie (last edited Nov 03, 2020 02:47PM) (new)

Ashley Marie  | 61 comments Eeeep soon! I think I had to opt out last year but I'm so excited. Happy to take joy in the small things, especially this year.

Edit: I may have just hashed out my list of ideas :D

message 26: by Mel (new)

I have a massive list prepared but Im still undecided :D

message 27: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine | 25 comments Looking forward to this!

message 28: by Steph (new)

Steph | 39 comments I just came looking to see if you were doing it again this year, and I'm so excited to participate! I can't believe this will be year 5 (if I'm mathing right. Not my strong suit lol). If you need any help, I'd be happy to help with whatever I can. :)

message 29: by Mel (last edited Nov 05, 2020 09:03PM) (new)

Steph wrote: "I just came looking to see if you were doing it again this year, and I'm so excited to participate! I can't believe this will be year 5 (if I'm mathing right. Not my strong suit lol). If you need a..."

Actually Steph! I do need an American volunteer this year. It may be semi-time consuming but please let me know if you can handle this! it's not like going to take all your time.

(also 6 years actually!!!)

message 30: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 61 comments ^ I'm with Steph, if there's anything I can do to help in the US let me know, Mel!

message 31: by Kushmi (new)

Kushmi (kushih) | 57 comments Sad, I won't be able to participate this year :(. Hope everyone else has a fun time with it :).

message 32: by Mel (new)

More people have signed up so far this year than I expected overall! It’s been nice :) there’s still some of you who seemed excited so I’m waiting on even more as well c

message 33: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 46 comments Yeah I still need to sign up but haven't gotten around to making a book list yet lol

message 34: by Mel (new)

Just a heads up that I’m missing around 5 messages from people, so 5 people are not confirmed as of yet.

message 35: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 102 comments iiiiii'm still coming!!!

message 36: by Mel (new)

A little under a week still to sign up!!

I think I have been convinced to sign up this year :) So I will be participating yay!

message 37: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 102 comments oh, i'm so glad!!

message 38: by TL (new)

TL  | 100 comments Mel wrote: "A little under a week still to sign up!!

I think I have been convinced to sign up this year :) So I will be participating yay!"

Awesome 👌!

message 39: by Mel (new)

Sign up ends in 24h!!!!!!!! Last chance to invite friends, signup, and sign up more times if you already have :)

message 40: by Mel (new)

message 41: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments whoop whoop

message 42: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Tattersall (mothgender) | 24 comments just bought my buddy their book(s) :3

message 43: by Mel (new)

im already at about half of the orders sent!

message 44: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Yeah!!!! That’s great Mel

message 45: by Steph (new)

Steph | 39 comments Bought gifts for both of my people :) I'm so excited!

message 46: by Mel (new)

I’m down to only needing 14 confirmations!! I appreciate everyone who has sent theirs so far :) much less stressful haha

message 47: by Mel (new)

SS weekend is now over! Only one person cheated out but that’s okay because I hadn’t sent their book yet (I had them)!

It went so smoothly this year and I’m happy I was able to host this during the shitty year we’ve had.

I hope you all enjoy your presents! The presents thread is now open.

And now we wait 😌

message 48: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Thank you Mel for all you’ve done I’m excited for my person to get her books I hope the season is happy for everybody

message 49: by TL (new)

TL  | 100 comments Mel wrote: "SS weekend is now over! Only one person cheated out but that’s okay because I hadn’t sent their book yet (I had them)!

It went so smoothly this year and I’m happy I was able to host this during t..."

Excited:) thanks again for setting this up

message 50: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 61 comments Woohoo!

And now we wait.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.