Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Warning on the Window (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #20)
This topic is about The Warning on the Window
#20: Warning on the Window > Chapter 20: The Warning on the Window - Summary

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1280 comments Mod
Chapter 20: A Treasure Hunt

Judy and Roberta return to the goldfish pond, thinking that perhaps the missing clue is what fell into the water earlier. Instead, they find a bobby pin that is missing from Judy's hair. Even though they don't have the pen part as an excuse for a visit, Judy wants to see Mr. Daly for herself so she can describe him to Horace. Reaching Mr. Daly's, Judy uses the excuse of a treasure hunt to see him. She ties a ribbon around her hair in order to look younger and quickly makes a list of things she is supposed to be looking for. It works! Mr. Daly is very obliging and Judy leaves with his fingerprints on a mirror, a piece of foil, and a jelly glass. (I remember the old days when jelly and sometimes peanut butter came in drinking glasses. I still have some from my mother's childhood although I don't have any from my childhood. Instant recycling! I guess today we want more elegant things for our table.) He also matches Horace's' description sans the limp. Thinking through their encounter, Judy remembers that just before the explosion, one of the three men in the diner said, “Limpy will wait for us.” She believes Limpy is the same person as Mr. Jarvis and earned the name from his fake limp. In this chapter Judy mentions that someone is anxious to own the land belonging to the Blades although she can't think of a motive. Telling Roberta that now they have the fingerprints of a suspected criminal, Judy reveals her motive for the treasure hunt. I always thought the treasure hunt angle was so ingenious.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 661 comments Judy makes up for embarrassingly losing the pen cap by getting the guys fingerprints. She was really clever with the whole set up.

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1167 comments Rebekah wrote: "Judy makes up for embarrassingly losing the pen cap by getting the guys fingerprints. She was really clever with the whole set up."

There is a scavenger hunt in a book published a few years before Warning on the Window,. They must have been popular in the 1930s and 40s.

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy (hugsjudy) | 66 comments I remember going on a scavenger hunt on Halloween night and that was in the 40s.
hugs Judy

message 5: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 485 comments For about 4 years in a row, we did a Christmas scavenger hunt. We had teams of 4 and were given a sheet of 25 activities to do & a stuffed mascot. We had to take a picture of each activity or destination and if we forgot the mascot, we didn't get credit. We had a certain amount of time to get it done and whoever had the most won. We won first place twice and second once. It was so much fun. It was probably about 8-10 years ago.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 188 comments We used to do neighborhood scavenger hunts. They were so much fun! We had a rule that you could only get one thing from each house and I think we did teams of 2. All the neighbors knew us and would usually cooperate, It was a different world back then, We would go into people's house who would have homemade treats and cider, and we would get a lot of apples. We used to fill pillowcases. And nobody cared how old you were as long as you were polite

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Clark | 89 comments Beverly mentioned that Scavenger Hunts must have been popular in the 30s and 40s. Perfect example the 1936 film " My Man Godfrey" , starring William Powell and the glorious Carol Lombard.

message 8: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 485 comments The way we did our scavenger hunt would work now because we didn't actually go to any house to ask for things. We had to find things like a street with a Christmasy name, we found a Carol Lane, or a house with only blue lights, we had to go in a restaurant and sing a Christmas song to someone at a table etc taking pictures of everything. I think there were 25 things on the list and 1 1/2 or 2 hours to do it.