Editio Self-Publishing discussion

Self-Publishing questions > Crowdfunding, a good idea?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauryn (new)

Lauryn April (laurynapril) | 21 comments I'm curious if anyone has used a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter or Pubslush to raise money for their book. Or, what you think of authors who do this.

For my first three books I paid the initial costs out of pocket and easily made the money back in sales, but I want to take things to the next level with my next book (like using Ingram Spark instead of just Amazon, buying an ISBN, more marketing, ect...) and know the process will be more expensive.

I never used to like the idea of asking other people to fund my projects, but I see some real advantages with doing things this way.

So what do you think, is crowdfunding a good option for authors? If you've tried it what were your results?

message 2: by Patti (new)

Patti Jefferson (pbjauthor) | 17 comments I successfully crowd-funded my first 2 children's books on Kickstarter. If you want to check out my old campaigns you can search Kickstarter by my name Patti Brassard Jefferson or by my book titles: How Long Will You Love Me and Stu's Big Party. I loved the experience -- its real work but it worked for me.

message 3: by H.B. (new)

H.B. Lyne (hblyne) | 4 comments I'm just about to launch a crowdfunder on Pubslush to fund my third book. It is a lot of work, but a great challenge.

The way I see it, crowdfunding and self-publishing go nicely hand in hand. Its all part of the same movement towards people-powered creativity and entrepreneurship. We're making something that we want to share with the world and sometimes that requires financial backing. We don't all have lucrative day jobs to pay for an indulgent writing hobby. In order to sell books and make money, those books need to be of high quality. Excellent writing is obviously the most important thing, but a professional cover and edit are so important too.

I love the community spirit of crowdfunding, it's definitely making me put myself out there more, which can only be a good thing for my sales ;)

I realise the OP is quite a few months old, but if you're still thinking about it, I say go for it!

message 4: by Jonathan-David (new)

Jonathan-David Jackson | 11 comments I love Kickstarter. I've backed only one project (a board game, 10 Minutes to Kill), but I often check in to see what new projects there are, particularly in technology and design. You see a lot of really unique things on Kickstarter, things you wouldn't see anywhere else. So because I love it so much, I'm considering using Kickstarter to help fund my upcoming fourth book.

Patti - How did you go about marketing your Kickstarter project?

message 5: by Patti (new)

Patti Jefferson (pbjauthor) | 17 comments The whole key to kickstarter is to make sure that you have built your tribe BEFORE you launch your campaign. Build buzz and then keep it up throughout the campaign but not just in a "buy my book" and "support my kickstarter" kind of way. I used my author page on Facebook, sent email blast about my launch and significant milestones. I put my video on my youtube channel. Did occasional shout-outs for supporters...etc. Basically the same sort of marketing that you would do for the book once its in hand but start before you launch. Create fun but relevant contests to get people to share for you. It is A LOT of work but so is every other aspect of this business.

message 6: by H.B. (new)

H.B. Lyne (hblyne) | 4 comments Yes I agree Patti. Building a tribe before launch is critical. I thought I had a reasonable platform to launch from, but am struggling to get pledges. Still less than a week in though, so still time :)

message 7: by Patti (new)

Patti Jefferson (pbjauthor) | 17 comments H.B. wrote: "Yes I agree Patti. Building a tribe before launch is critical. I thought I had a reasonable platform to launch from, but am struggling to get pledges. Still less than a week in though, so still tim..."

Whats the link to your project, HB?

message 8: by H.B. (new)

H.B. Lyne (hblyne) | 4 comments Here: http://tidesofspring.pubslush.com/

If you can give me any tips I would really appreciate it.