The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > November 2020 Group Reads winners!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9164 comments Mod
The winners of the November 2020 group reads poll are

The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths

and

Lady in the Lake, by Laura Lippman

That gives everyone two weeks to find copies before the discussions officially begin. Thanks to all who voted!!

Aditya, Suzy -- I can count on you for moderating, right?

message 2: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1192 comments I am free to moderate.

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9164 comments Mod
Aditya wrote: "I am free to moderate."

Thanks so much, Aditya.

message 4: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 298 comments Looking forward to finally reading my copy of The Stranger Diaries!
Glad you nominated this Aditya!

message 5: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1192 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Looking forward to finally reading my copy of The Stranger Diaries!
Glad you nominated this Aditya!"

Here is hoping we both enjoy it.

message 6: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 298 comments 🤞🏻

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 18 comments I've been a member of this group for years but have not been active. Decided it was time to change that.

Excited about reading Lady in the Lake in November,

message 8: by Bob (new)

Bob | 11 comments I'm going to have a go at "Stranger Dairies".

message 9: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1192 comments Bob wrote: "I'm going to have a go at "Stranger Dairies"."

Won't recommend it, just finished it, nothing special.

Now I wish I had not selected it, keeping the thread going as a moderator when I don't really care about it will feel like a chore : ((

message 10: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 2205 comments I hear you. Ditto same predicament when I had recommended Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Stevens LOL Maybe you should have a look at mine. Maybe it won't end up being such a chore. :)

message 12: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1192 comments LOL I have high expectations, pretty sure you won't meet them : ))

message 13: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 2205 comments I may be guilty of generalisation but by far the standards of current day authors is abysmal. I'm quite disillusioned (:

message 14: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1192 comments Leena wrote: "I may be guilty of generalisation but by far the standards of current day authors is abysmal. I'm quite disillusioned (:"

Not really most of the stuff is average or crap but that has been true forever not only in case of books but movies and music too. If you read just the biggest bestsellers (Grisham, Brown, Patterson) or self published crap, you might not ever find a good author.

There is James Lee Burke, the best crime writer of all time. He is still putting a new book out every year or two. Read Tana French, she is not consistent but she can be brilliant. Dennis Lehane and Walter Mosley are damn good. Mosley might be a tad bit more consistent but Lehane's highs are higher. Ellroy is still publishing stuff. So you know lots of great authors exist.

message 15: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1192 comments @Leena The other trouble Goodreads like most social media is full of teens, so don't take GR ratings too seriously. Find reviewers your taste align with and then you will find better recommendations.

message 16: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 2205 comments Though I've been a member for a long time its just these past couple of months that I've really been tirelessly active. I love the games we play here and love to review and read others reviews.

message 17: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 2205 comments @ Aditya James Lee Burke has been on my tbr for such a long time and I remember you vociferously recommending him earlier too. So the time has finally come.

When it comes to reviews of my prospective read I scourge through the worst reviews first and then take my call. it saves me a lot of time and heartache :)

message 18: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1192 comments Pencil wrote: "@Aditya I recently joined Goodreads and I am coming to this realization. I had joined a group. Then read an 11-year old was just approved as a moderator. I left that group. There also seem to be a ..."

Rating books without reading is the worst, it sort of destroys the whole purpose of the site. Some people here like friends' reviews even if they are a just an one line OMG LOVED IT, which is a problem because I go to so many books where the highest rated reviews don't really tell me anything that the blurb does not. Anyway once you get used to the site, it gets easier.

message 19: by Aditya (last edited Oct 29, 2020 01:12AM) (new)

Aditya | 1192 comments Leena wrote: "@ Aditya James Lee Burke has been on my tbr for such a long time and I remember you vociferously recommending him earlier too. So the time has finally come.

When it comes to reviews of my prospect..."

Burke is violent and dark if that is alright with you, you will love him. His prose is much better than almost any other genre writer (maybe Chander comes close) but his mysteries are sort of background for the characters. He started his career writing traditional fiction got nominated for the Pulitzer, but that was not paying his bills, so he shifted to writing crime. And that background shows.

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments Burke is amazing. His writing is complex, His chars are real I love his books