Gentle SPECTRUMS discussion

Gentle Subjects 2015 > Carolyn's Creative Subject-Matching!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Jan 19, 2015 07:57AM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) | 979 comments Mod
Here are some of my ideas for this part of our reading themes! My blog posts are available to browse too. Gentle Spectrums - https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2015/0...
Ethereal - https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2015/0...

message 2: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Jan 19, 2015 09:44AM) (new)

(1) STONES (jewellery and metals accepted too) ~
“The Hidden Mountain” Gabrielle Roy, “The Tin Flute” Gabrielle Roy.

(2) CHEERFUL ~ (uplifting, positive, pleasant)
“The Splendour Falls” Susanna Kearsley, “A Vision In Velvet” Juliet Blackwell, “The Midnight Dancers” Anne Maybury.

(3) NATIONS ~
“Made In Canada” Bev Spencer, “A Death At St. Auselm’s” Isabelle Holland, “The Chinese Shawl” Patricia Wentworth.

(4) PLANTS ~
“The Summer Tree” Guy Gavriel Kay, “Night Gardening” E.L. Swann, “Tempest In The Tea Leaves” Kari Lee Townsend.

(5) WATER ~
“The Corpse At Oozak’s Pond” Charlotte MacLeod, “The Lake Of Dead Languages” Carol Goodman, “The Dead Sea Cipher” Elizabeth Peters.

(6) SPACE ~
“The Astral Alibi” Manjiri Prabhu, “The Half-A-Moon Inn” Paul Fleischman, “The Street Of The Five Moons” Elizabeth Peters, “Clouds Of Witness” Dorothy Sayers.

(7) DAUNTING (“Oooo! That does not sound good”!) ~
“The Missing Chums” Leslie McFarlane, “Vanishing Bride” Magali, “Death Of A Literary Widow” Robert Barnard, “Danse Macabre” Stephen King, “A Man Lay Dead” Edith Ngaio Marsh, “Whose Body?” Dorothy Leigh Sayers.

(8) STRUCTURES (rooms, proper names, any parts) ~
“The Palace Guard” Charlotte MacLeod, “The Phantom Flame Of Wind House” Katheryn Kimbrough, “The Secret Of Chimneys” Agatha Christie, “The Door” Mary Roberts Rinehart.

(9) TIME (signifiers like seasons, unit-measurers) ~
“Night Travellers” Sandra Birdsell, “The Clock Strikes Twelve” Patricia Wentworth, “Escape The Night” Mignon G. Eberhart, “Night Of Four-Hundred Rabbits” Elizabeth Peters.

(10) HUMOROUS (Odd, anything that gives you a grin or a wry grimace) ~
“The Dragon And The Dry Goods Princess” David Arnason, “The Kissing Man” George Elliott.

message 3: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Jan 24, 2015 08:29AM) (new)

It's fun to give ideas to everyone wanting a look. With Bev's bingo cards needing to be planned carefully, my focus turned to 1960-1989 books. If she took away the line and allowed all literature to 1989, I would love mixing older with the fairly recent! I was saved oldies for this year. It is going to be filled with MANY old greats, from whom I have never read a page.

message 4: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Jan 24, 2015 08:30AM) (new)

I have started the year treating myself to recent novels, that would suit Yvonne nicely. I have *AS MANY* 1990s, 2000s, 2010s novels I have not tried either. Before I use up birthday and Christmas gift certificates on work I'm unsure I like; I'm at last giving them a try!