What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > children's book about a princess and a castle that is black and white

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments I'm looking for a children's book. written in early to mid nineties I think. it was a beginner reading level. it had symbols in the writing in place of certain words. it was about a princess who lived in a castle that was black and white. eventually, the castle was restored of its color and beautifulness. anybody have abt idea what it may be?

message 2: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments That style of writing is called rebus. No idea about the book, though.

message 3: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments I do remember there being several pictures… And, I want to say there were more pictures than words... But after nearly 20 years, I can't be 100% sure of that.

message 4: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments I seem to remember the castle being dark and desolate … Black-and-white. I honestly cannot recall if it was a princess that lived in the castle and a prince came along and the castle was restored to color....our if it was the other way around.

message 5: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments bump

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Krystle, normal bump period is 30 days.

message 7: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments there were lots of animals and plants. And a rainbow I think. I wasn't tho daddy out may have been even the princess arrived at the castle is when the color was restored to the kingdom....

message 8: by Krystle (new)

message 9: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments So the whole kingdom had no color or just the castle?
Was it a stand-alone book or part of a treasury?

message 10: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments Can you describe the pictures any more? Like, were they realistic or cartoony?

message 11: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments I don't really know if it was part of a treasury... I got it in the 2nd grade (so around 1992/1993) in a gift swap at school. the entire kingdom was black and white. the pictures were more cartoonist then anything.

message 12: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments If I remember correctly, I think it was a very thin, 20 page max, squarish book. it had a picture of the castle on the cover and the princess as will. I believe she was wearing a pink dress and had blonde hair (or was that the princess from Mario brothers...LOL)

message 13: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments This isn't it but since it has a similar theme, I had to share anyway: The Prince's New Pet The Prince's New Pet by Brian Anderson

Oh - maybe How the Princess Returned Color to Her Kingdom?? How the Princess Returned Color to Her Kingdom by Harriet Trenholm

message 14: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments neither I those are my book. But thank you :)

message 15: by Krystle (new)

message 16: by Krystle (new)

message 17: by Krystle (new)

message 18: by Krystle (new)

message 19: by Elisheva Rina (new)

Elisheva Rina | 9 comments Yeah, hi, I'm new to this group. Have I just met the thing that goes bump in the night?

message 20: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments I really don't see how that has anything to do with the name of the book that I'm looking for. But thanks.

message 21: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Krystle, you mentioned receiving this book in a gift swap. Do you you remember if the gift swap was for a holiday? Could the book be about or have some connection to the holiday?

message 22: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments it was for a Christmas gift exchange when I was in 2nd grade. But it didn't have anything to do with the holidays. I remember it being about a kingdom that had lost all of its color. And then one day, it was restored with its color and beauty. It was a book that was written in the early 90s I think. a style of writing called rebus....

message 23: by Krystle (new)

message 24: by Krystle (new)

message 25: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16086 comments Puzzle Castle by Susannah Leigh?

message 26: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments I'm not sure to be honest. eBay book are you thinking of?

message 27: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments ignore the last comment please. no. that's not it. But thank you! :)

message 28: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16086 comments I'll keep looking! Do you remember if it was a paperback or a hardback book?

message 29: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments thank though so much! it was definitely a hard back book. it was fairly thin (a beginner readers book). it was a rectangular shakes book. And if memory serves me correctly, the cover had a lot of green on it.

message 30: by Ayshe (new)

message 31: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments no, it wasn't a chapter book. But thank you so much for looking!

message 32: by Krystle (new)

message 33: by Krystle (new)

message 34: by Krystle (new)

message 35: by Krystle (new)

message 36: by Krystle (new)

message 37: by Kris (last edited Aug 07, 2017 06:15AM) (new)

Kris | 33254 comments Mod
The Rainbow Princess: And The Land Of Black And White (1996) by T.G. Ponte? Here's one cover image - https://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Prince...

"The author uses folk style to tell the story of lost seeds. The Rainbow Trees are grown on Rainbow Island, and everyday their seed are harvested and sent all over the earth to become beautiful rainbows. One day, Princess Iana and her friends, the Archaruco Indians, awake to find that someone has stolen the seeds and turned the colorful island into the land of black and white. They must venture in to the unknown to recover the seeds or the world's color is lost forever."

www.worldcat.org advanced search -- Keyword: princess | Subject: color | 1960-2000 | Juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

message 38: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16086 comments The Color Wizard is about a wizard in a black and white world, but I don't think there are any princesses.

message 39: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments neither of these are my book, but thank you so much! I'm going to look into them for my great niece tho. she will love them both!

message 40: by Rainbowheart (last edited Oct 03, 2017 11:12AM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 16086 comments The Secret in the Dungeon?

Found one inside pic.

message 41: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments sadly, no. but thank you for looking!

message 42: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Maybe, Henry in Shadowland Henry in Shadowland by Laszlo Varvasovszky ?

Here is a review from School Library Journal
The pages of this oversized picture book are filled with activity. Four to five scenes appear on each page, some in bright color, and many in striking black silhouette. The eye is led through picture and text to follow the lively imagination of a small boy, Henry, as he plays with his shadow theater. Paul, his mother's friend, has brought Henry a box to make his theater, and has cut out puppets from black paper and fastened them to sticks. Henry enters the shadowbox world, traveling with Firetooth the dragon and a beautiful princess to find the King of Shadowland and his faithful knight, Sir Lancelot. Thanks to Henry, the black-paper puppets find out what color is, and thanks to Henry's paintbox, a rainbow of colors, polka dots, and patterns liven up the world they inhabit.

message 43: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments nope. not it either. but thank you!

message 44: by Krystle (new)

message 45: by Krystle (new)

message 46: by Krystle (new)

message 47: by Krystle (new)

message 48: by Krystle (new)

message 50: by Krystle (new)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments Thank you. But, no. That's not it.

« previous 1