Everything Other World discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
Hello Everyone,

I'm going to give it another week or two for everyone to get their votes in, and we can choose a book to read for February.

My vote is for Kurt's novel.

What book would you like to read for February?

I am going to be filling my bookshelf, which has to this point been pitifully empty and gathering internet dust. I just have to become operating within the Goodreads environment, then I'll be good to go :).

Thanks for your patience everyone.

In the meantime, if you want to initiate a discussion for the week, please feel free to do so. If you are having trouble initiating discussions, just message me and I'll start a new thread.

Have a wonderful week!

Kirsten :)

message 2: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
As the author, am I allowed to second the motion? :-)

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kurt wrote: "As the author, am I allowed to second the motion? :-)"

Yes, of course :).

message 4: by Kurt (new)

The author here-by seconds the motion to read Price of Vengeance.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Hear yay, hear yay, since this discussion is absent of any other votes for the month, and we must anon to Amazon to obtain said book for the month of February, all eyes shall be upon the "Price of Vengeance."

This meeting is adjourned.

And, I look forward to reading your book, Kurt :).

And thanks everyone for your patience. Next month I shall send out an official poll. At any time if there is a book you've been dying to read, please feel free to mention the books at any time during the month.

My wishes are: the Bone Clocks (or clock bones???? I have a headache), some of Vonnegut's works, Isaac Asimov, and that trilogy about Altantis, where it was thought there was an Atlantis gene. That looked intriguing too.

If I don't hear from you everyone, have an excellent weekend :).

message 6: by Kurt (new)

Thanks I look forward to hearing how people liked Price of Vengeance.

Let me add a link for every one. Price of Vengeance (A Dreamscape Warriors Novel) by Kurt D. Springs

Just FYI, the next book in the Dreamscape Warriors series is nearing completion of the proofing part of the production process. Just a few more chapters and I send it back to Tate. Then, if all the corrections are complete to my satisfaction, I will sign off and it hits the presses and ebook generators. The title is Promise of Mercy.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kurt wrote: "Thanks I look forward to hearing how people liked Price of Vengeance.

Let me add a link for every one. Price of Vengeance (A Dreamscape Warriors Novel) by Kurt D. Springs

Just FYI, the next book in the Dreamscape Warriors s..."

Thanks, Kurt. Keep us updated.

message 8: by Kurt (new)

I signed the Final Approval Form for Promise of Mercy yesterday. I hope to have a release date soon. Once I have that, I'll put the book up on Goodreads.

Kirsten wrote: "Kurt wrote: "Thanks I look forward to hearing how people liked Price of Vengeance.

Just FYI, the next book in the Dreamsca..."

message 9: by Kirsten (last edited Mar 07, 2015 07:56AM) (new)

Hi Everyone :)

Sorry everyone for the radio silence. My family and I, here in Lee County, Virginia, were affected like everyone else in our county by the bitter cold and snow. We are lucky, because our house held up to the snow load (a big problem here down south), but we have lost water and we're going on week three without it, so my hours have been consumed with getting our water coming into the house repaired and supplying our house with water in the meantime.

For this month's discussion, I have a special treat for everyone. Kurt, the author of the book we read this month, the Price of Vengeance, is going to lead the discussion for this book. This means you will be able to ask him questions and speak with the author of this exciting book directly :). I'm just tickled pink that Kurt has taken time out of his busy touring and teaching schedule to speak with us

I hope everyone enjoys the discussion. I will join in when I can. I also think I'm a bit late in posting reading for March, so I will post a message for April's selections soon.

Cheers,

Kirsten

message 10: by Kurt (new)

Hello All,

I want to thank Kristen for suggesting that Price of Vengeance be the group's lead off book, and I leadoff discussion about the book.

I am a resident of the state of New Hampshire, which has its own winter problems. While electricity, water, and so on haven't been a problem, we are just glad it's starting to melt because we were running out of room.

I am an adjunct professor at Manchester Community College in New Hampshire (there is also one in Connecticut) and have agreed to teach some classes at University of New Hampshire. My PhD. is in anthropology with an archaeology focus. I did a masters degree at the National University of Ireland in Galway, and one at the Harvard University Extenstion School.

The idea for the Price of Vengeance came to me while I was in Ireland. I began playing with an idea of a young warrior who was trapped outside a city. There were going to be interdimensional portals and a princess or priestess of some sort. The warrior was not native to the city and that was going to cause tension for some factions in the city. There would be a princess/priestess who would be this young soldiers partisan and another warrior who would be his friend. At the time I wasn't sure if this was going to be fantasy or science fiction.

The summer before I started my PhD, I did some preliminary outlines. Then I put it aside. This was in 2004. I graduated in 2010, but the economy wasn't looking good for academics, especially those who specialize in Irish prehistory. So I picked it up again and started fleshing out the plot outline and the characters.

The story quickly became science fiction. Celinia became a high priestess, and Randolf became Liam's adoptive brother.

The story became a morality play. Licinious was responsible for the betrayal and murder of Liam's birth parents, then his foster parents. When Liam discovers this he wants revenge. At the same time, Licinious is not the biggest threat to the people Liam has adopted as his own. He also begins to learn about his own heritage as the story builds up to a final showdown.

Through the story I ask (though not in so many words) "What is the price of vengeance?"

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kurt wrote: "Hello All,

I want to thank Kristen for suggesting that Price of Vengeance be the group's lead off book, and I leadoff discussion about the book.

I am a resident of the state of New Hampshire, whi..."

I have a question, Kurt.

How much of an influence would you say staying in Ireland played in your writing at the time? My family and I are DYING to go, by the way. My husband's relatives say there is no place more beautiful.

Thanks for being available for Q & A this month for our group members :).

message 12: by Kurt (new)

I lived in Ireland for two and a half years and traveled a great deal of the northwest as well as sojourns to other parts. I try to get back when I can, which sadly, is less frequent than I would like.

Ireland was actually a huge influence. The Finnian based their much culture on Ireland: importance of family ties, language, art and music, story telling. The Ireland of today is a modern place. Children are moving away to find work. The Irish language is only spoken as a first language in some places. Oral stories are not so much in evidence. However, Irish art and music have held on and are still very popular.

The Finnian are not Irish. They were genetically engineered to replace humanity, but leveled a moral objection to this, eventually turning on their creators. Once the dust of the Finnian Earth war had settled, the Finnian found they needed a heritage to identify with. One of their creators had come from Ireland, so they latched onto a good deal of that. There concept of Irish culture is, admittedly, romantic.

Irish weren't the only elements they adapted. I am working on a prequel now. General O'Connor, the heroine of the story, will eventually fall in love with a human of Apache ancestry. So don't get on their bad side. :-)