All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Posts > Recommendation Swap - Partners February 2015

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Here is the list of who is recommending - for those of you that signed up!

I made a last-minute decision to join in this time as I missed the last one...Heather (books) is as per her profile pic - as we have two Heathers taking part.

dely will be recommending a book to: Diane S
Laura T will be recommending a book to: Giorgia
Alannah will be recommending a book to: Leslie
Cheryl will be recommending a book to: Heather
Paula will be recommending a book to: Chinook
Heather (books) will be recommending a book to: Shirley
Leslie will be recommending a book to: Alannah
Giorgia will be recommending a book to: John
Chinook will be recommending a book to: Heather (books)
Heather will be recommending a book to: dely
John will be recommending a book to: Paula
Anastasia will be recommending a book to: Laura T
Diane S will be recommending a book to: Anastasia
Shirley will be recommending a book to: Cheryl

Please don't forget to report back in the "what did you think?" thread - we'd all be interested to hear what you thought of your recommended book!

There will be another swap in May - look out for the sign up thread in April!

message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Don't forget to send your recommendations as soon as possible - within the next week - so that your partner has lots of time to read the book!

message 3: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Is there still the rule to recommend books under the 300 pages?

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments dely wrote: "Is there still the rule to recommend books under the 300 pages?"

I think that this rule is a good idea. Shirley, what do you think?

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Yes, I think that's a good idea.

message 6: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments I was thinking about a book that has 384 pages. I will ask Diane if it's however ok for her otherwise I will change my recommendation.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Looks like Alannah & I are trading recommendations :) I have sent her a message but already have some ideas.

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I've received my recommendation already! Thanks Heather!

message 9: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Leslie wrote: "Looks like Alannah & I are trading recommendations :) I have sent her a message but already have some ideas."

Oh yes, so you are! It's funny how it works out that way sometimes!

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 571 comments My pleasure Shirley... Although I wasn't aware of the 300 page rule! Oops & sorry! I can recommend something a little shorter if you like!

message 11: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments It's ok, I should have said earlier. Think I will be ok with it, besides, I have ordered it at the library already!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 571 comments Now that is quick! A reader after my own heart :)

message 13: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Shirley wrote: "I've received my recommendation already! Thanks Heather!"

Which one? I'm curious! :D

message 14: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments dely wrote: "Shirley wrote: "I've received my recommendation already! Thanks Heather!"

Which one? I'm curious! :D"

It's The Power of One. I hadn't heard of it before.

message 15: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Shirley wrote: "dely wrote: "Shirley wrote: "I've received my recommendation already! Thanks Heather!"

Which one? I'm curious! :D"

It's The Power of One. I hadn't heard of it before."

It seems interesting. I had heard about it, some AAB members have read it. Hope you will like it!

message 16: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Jan 19, 2015 02:28PM) (new)

Diane S ☔ Dely, love your recommendation and have already bought for my Nook. The additional pages are fine with me. Thanks, looking forward to reading this. Rely recommended A Fortune-Teller Told Me: Earthbound Travels in the Far East

message 17: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Diane S. wrote: "Dely, love your recommendation and have already bought for my Nook. The additional pages are fine with me. Thanks, looking forward to reading this. Rely recommended [book:A Fortune-Teller Told Me: ..."

I hope you will like it! Terzani is one of my favorite authors (he was a journalist) and I like his writing style but also his opinions and observations. I hope it has a good translation. I've also read in your profile that you like travelling so I thought a book that talks about a long and interesting travel would be interesting.

message 18: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Good choice, Dely.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

@Dely, We have quite different tastes but I've send you a choice of 2 books. I hope one of them is suitable

message 20: by John of Canada (new)

John of Canada (johnofcanada) | 276 comments Giorgia sent me some wonderful options.I'm going with The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett!

message 21: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Seen it now; I'll give a look at Giorgia shelves and let her know what I think could go for her!

message 22: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Heather wrote: "@Dely, We have quite different tastes but I've send you a choice of 2 books. I hope one of them is suitable"

I liked The Death of Ivan Ilych so it would have been a good choice.
I have bought right now The Taliban Cricket Club and this was a good choice too seen that I like Indian authors!

message 23: by LauraT (new)

Sent Giorgia my suggestions; waiting for Anastasia's

message 24: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Jan 20, 2015 04:54AM) (new)

Diane S ☔ Sent Anastasia her recommendation from me.

message 25: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I've sent my recommendation to Cheryl.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Laura for your recommendations!
I have a question. At the library they have a copy of the book I want to read (Aristotle Detective) BUT loans are suspended until March 2nd because of some renovations they're doing. Were we supposed to read the book in February or could I read it in March?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

dely wrote: "Heather wrote: "@Dely, We have quite different tastes but I've send you a choice of 2 books. I hope one of them is suitable"

I liked The Death of Ivan Ilych so it would have been a go..."

I really hope you enjoy it. I think it could be one to polarise views

message 28: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Giorgia, you have until the end of March to read your book, so you can wait until March to start reading, if you like!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Shirley wrote: "Giorgia, you have until the end of March to read your book, so you can wait until March to start reading, if you like!"

Awesome! Thanks.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Sent & received my recommendation. I should have recommended a longer book to Alannah as she has already finished the one I picked!

message 31: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) Received my recommendation from John (Plainsong, yay!) and I sent a list of choices to Chinook.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I've recieved mine from Cheryl and Dely has recieved mine.

Looking forward to reading it

message 33: by LauraT (new)

Still waiting for my recommentation!

message 34: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (universe_beats) | 401 comments Diane S. wrote: "Sent Anastasia her recommendation from me."

..which I've just received and accepted :)

@Laura: your recommendation will be sent veeery soon!

message 35: by LauraT (last edited Jan 23, 2015 02:09AM) (new)

Received them this morning - at least I read them this morning!!!
They are all so interesting I have yet to decide which ...

message 36: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments :( I didn't see the original post for this:( I'm not on the list, anyone want to read two? Is this okay, Shirley?

message 37: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Yes, why not, if someone wants to join in!

message 38: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments I'll watch this thread to see if they do. If not, I can do the next one. I've been introduced to some great books via Reco Swap:)

message 39: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments My recommended book has finally arrived at the library, so I shall pick it up today - yay!

message 40: by Heather (last edited Feb 25, 2015 09:03AM) (new)

Heather | 571 comments I've finished my recommended book....

1. Which book were you recommended and who recommended it to you? Chinook recommended the The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

2. Would you have read the book ordinarily? It was a book that had been on my TBR pile for a while so I would have got to it eventually!

3. Have you read anything by the same author before – if so what have you read? No, this was the first Atwood book I had read

4. What did you think of the book you were recommended? I started reading full of high expectations having seen all the good reviews on GR & with Chinook telling me Atwood was her all time favourite writer. But I have to say I was a tad disappointed, I neither loved nor hated it... it was just ok! Sorry! I like to be a little more passionate about my books and reviews but on this occasion, I'm going to have to make to with that!

5. Would you recommend this book to someone else? No, I don't think I would

6. Would you take part in another recommendation swap in the future? I most definitely would...

message 41: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments @Heather I have similar feelings the book. I've read other Atwood novels and enjoyed them but The Handmaid's Tale earned just 2★ from me.

message 42: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 623 comments Finally finished...
1. Which book were you recommended and who recommended it to you?
Longbourn by Jo Baker. Recommended by Sandy.

2. Would you have read the book ordinarily?
Yes, this one was fairly high on my TBR list already.

3. Have you read anything by the same author before – if so what have you read?
No, I haven't read anything else by this author.

4. What did you think of the book you were recommended?
I liked it with a few reservations, though I gave it 5 stars.

5. Would you recommend this book to someone else?
Yes, and I already have.

6. Would you take part in another recommendation swap in the future?
Absolutely, but I have to be in the right frame of mind and looking for something new to read.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

The library has finally reopened today. I have no idea what they have worked on as everything seems just the same. Anyway, I know have the book Laura recommended Aristotle Detective =D

message 44: by LauraT (new)

;)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.