Play Book Tag discussion

If Beale Street Could Talk
This topic is about If Beale Street Could Talk
October 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4020 comments If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin - 4 stars - My Review

Published in 1974 and set in Harlem, this book is part love story and part condemnation of racial injustice. Tish and Fonny have known each other since they were children. Tish narrates the story, telling how they became a couple and how Fonny ended up in prison for a crime he did not commit. Tish, her family, and Fonny’s father try their best to prove his innocence. This couple maintains a sense of optimism in the face of extreme hardship through their love for each other. It is a sad and disturbing story of racism and corruption in the criminal justice system. Unfortunately, these topics remain relevant in today’s society. This is the fifth book I have ready by James Baldwin and his writing is consistently strong.

Meli (melihooker) | 3449 comments This is my first James Baldwin, and only of his so far.
Since you've read 5, which is your favorite of those 5?

Joy D | 4020 comments Meli wrote: "This is my first James Baldwin, and only of his so far.
Since you've read 5, which is your favorite of those 5?"

Of those I have read recently:
Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin - 4 stars - My Review

Jen K | 1444 comments I've done 3 so far and this one was my favorite, so powerful. I need to get Giovanni's Room next.

message 5: by Meli (last edited Oct 15, 2020 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 3449 comments Joy D wrote: "Meli wrote: "This is my first James Baldwin, and only of his so far.
Since you've read 5, which is your favorite of those 5?"

Of those I have read recently:
Giovanni's Room by [aut..."

Excellent, I just happened to have that one on my tbr!
I got the cutest little paperback copy of it too.

Do you plan to read this -->
[bookcover:Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own|45754985]

I have this on my tbr also, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Joy D | 4020 comments I just put it on my TBR. Thanks for the tip, Meli.

I also very much enjoyed:
Another Country by James Baldwin - 4 stars - My Review

I read Go Tell It on the Mountain and The Fire Next Time a long time ago. I remember liking them but don't recall the details. It may be time for a re-read at some point.

Meli (melihooker) | 3449 comments Joy D wrote: "I just put it on my TBR. Thanks for the tip, Meli.

I also very much enjoyed:
Another Country by James Baldwin - 4 stars - My Review

I read Go Tell It on the Mount..."

I want to read Another Country as well!

The cover for Begin Again is so freakin cute.
I don't know what it is... maybe because it looks like an old 70s text book or something.