TW Book Club discussion

October - The Testaments - no spoilers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Wendt (wendtastic) | 432 comments Mod
I finished! Disturbing but I mostly liked it. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam | 231 comments I hope to start this weekend. I'm rereading Handmaid's Tale before. Do we have an day scheduled for a Zoom discussion? Looking forward to it.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

We don't yet. What do folks think of the 24, 25, 31, or 1st?

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam | 231 comments The 24, 31, work for me!

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments I finished the Handmaids Tale last weekend, first read. I have super mixed emotions on that book leaning more towards I didnt enjoy it so I have apprehension about this one. Just finishing another book today and will likely start this weekend.
The 24th is better than the 31st for me....but you know how my weekends go lol

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Evans | 145 comments I find these books to be disturbing, particularly i light of current politics and past personal history.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments Chris wrote: "I find these books to be disturbing, particularly i light of current politics and past personal history."

Currently politics yes, pandemic definitely. I keep thinking of ISIS headlines we were all reading not that long ago. I'm very turned off by these two and can't wait to discuss.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

So, this Saturday for a Zoom?! I want to stick with 11 am so it's easier for folks in all our timezones. Sam or Chris, can you set this up on Zoom?

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Did I share with anyone besides Chris that I had a nightmare early on in reading this book? A woman about my age went missing in Great Falls just as I started the book and I had been giving that a lot of thought, following the case, hoping against all odds she'd be found safe. Somehow my dream combined her going missing with the plot of this book and I woke up convinced it was all real and I was next, basically....I'll explain on the call, don't want to spoil anything until everyone has read it. But really, I couldn't fall asleep for days without remembering the dream and being afraid I'd have it again.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam | 231 comments I can set up a Zoom. People want this Saturday or next Saturday? Next is better for me but I can do this Saturday.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

that would be great, Sam. this Sat at 11 am (10 your time) unless someone speaks up. the 24th looked like the best time for most who responded I think.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam | 231 comments Here is the Zoom link for our Saturday book discussion: 11 am Mountain Time, 10 am Pacific. https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89345310375...

message 13: by Tracy (new)

hooray! tomorrow at 11 it is!

message 14: by Tracy (new)

***SPOILER ALERT***CONTAINS LIGHT SPOILERS***
Chris, Sam, and myself "met" on Saturday to talk about The Testements. It seemed like we all liked it, but found it a bit disturbing. Or maybe a lot disturbing. We talked about how much we enjoyed reading the backstory, as we'd all read The Handmaids Tale, also. It sounds like the audio book is well-narrated and makes a good listen. I felt like the ending was too tidy for a book that was so upsetting, but I was glad it was a happy ending. Others agreed they were glad for a happy ending. We also said we wished there had been more (earlier?) details on what Aunt Lydia was trying to accomplish - parts of her narration were a little slow.

What do the rest of you think?

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments Tracy wrote: "***SPOILER ALERT***CONTAINS LIGHT SPOILERS***
Chris, Sam, and myself "met" on Saturday to talk about The Testements. It seemed like we all liked it, but found it a bit disturbing. Or maybe a lot di..."

Sorry I started a spoiler thread before I saw this...

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Jackie wrote: "Tracy wrote: "***SPOILER ALERT***CONTAINS LIGHT SPOILERS***
Chris, Sam, and myself "met" on Saturday to talk about The Testements. It seemed like we all liked it, but found it a bit disturbing. Or ..."

I thought about doing that and probably should have. I wanted to make sure everyone who had been commenting on this thread saw the comment though. Thanks for doing that!

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Catherine, such a sad story. She was found; it was suicide.