2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Louise's Reading Corner

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (last edited Dec 16, 2015 05:09PM) (new)

Louise | 245 comments Just keeping track of my various book challenges.

✓ 50+ Books a Year
70/50
A Passage to India by E.M. Forster Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5) by Naomi Novik One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6) by Jasper Fforde The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-mi Hwang The Amazons Lives and Legends of Warrior Women Across the Ancient World by Adrienne Mayor The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton The Evil Empire by Steven A. Grasse A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman Animalium (Welcome to the Museum) by Jenny Broom The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen Dry Store Room No. 1 The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum by Richard Fortey Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor The Black Count Glory, Revolution, Betrayal and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss Classic Tales of the Macabre by David Stuart Davies Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey Night Watch (Discworld, #29) by Terry Pratchett The Plague by Albert Camus Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) by Terry Pratchett Men At Arms by Terry Pratchett
The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier Feet Of Clay (Discworld Novel 19) by Terry Pratchett Jingo (Discworld, #21) by Terry Pratchett Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna Krall The Fifth Elephant (Discworld, #24) by Terry Pratchett The Naming of the Shrew A Curious History of Latin Names by John Wright Journey by Moonlight by Antal Szerb Thud! (Discworld Novel 34) by Terry Pratchett The Man with the Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-Yi Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6) by Naomi Novik
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1) by Kieron Gillen Fables, Vol. 20 Camelot by Bill Willingham Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) by Rick Riordan Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods by Rick Riordan Unseemly Science (The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire, Book 2) by Rod Duncan The Demigod Diaries by Rick Riordan The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter (The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire, #1) by Rod Duncan The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Face in the Glass and Other Gothic Tales by Mary Elizabeth Braddon Nimona by Noelle Stevenson The Affinity Bridge (Newbury and Hobbes, #1) by George Mann How to Be Both by Ali Smith Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11) by P.G. Wodehouse The Waves by Virginia Woolf Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray Kindred by Octavia E. Butler The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris A Matter Of Death And Life by Andrey Kurkov
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde The Corpse Washer by Sinan Antoon The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin Fables Werewolves of the Heartland by Bill Willingham Through the Woods by Emily Carroll All Men Are Liars by Alberto Manguel Swamplandia! by Karen Russell The Summer Book by Tove Jansson Saga, Volume 5 by Brian K. Vaughan Fables, Vol. 21 Happily Ever After by Bill Willingham
Fables, Vol. 22 Farewell by Bill Willingham The Scar (New Crobuzon, #2) by China Miéville The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1) by Margaret Atwood The Hunter by Julia Leigh Raising Steam (Discworld, #40) by Terry Pratchett Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell The Black Tulip  by Alexandre Dumas

✓ 10+ Classics a Year
13/10
A Passage to India by E.M. Forster The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov Classic Tales of the Macabre by David Stuart Davies The Plague by Albert Camus The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier Journey by Moonlight by Antal Szerb The Face in the Glass and Other Gothic Tales by Mary Elizabeth Braddon Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11) by P.G. Wodehouse The Waves by Virginia Woolf Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell The Black Tulip  by Alexandre Dumas

✓ 5+ Translated Fiction a Year
12/5
The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-mi Hwang A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov The Plague by Albert Camus Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna Krall Journey by Moonlight by Antal Szerb The Man with the Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-Yi A Matter Of Death And Life by Andrey Kurkov The Corpse Washer by Sinan Antoon All Men Are Liars by Alberto Manguel
The Summer Book by Tove Jansson The Black Tulip  by Alexandre Dumas
Korean, Swedish, Russian, French(Algerian), Polish, Hungarian, Chinese(Taiwan), Russian (Ukraine), Hebrew(Iraq), Spanish(Argentine-Canadian), Swedish (Finland), French

10+ Nonfiction Books a Year
5/10
The Amazons Lives and Legends of Warrior Women Across the Ancient World by Adrienne Mayor Animalium (Welcome to the Museum) by Jenny Broom Dry Store Room No. 1 The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum by Richard Fortey The Black Count Glory, Revolution, Betrayal and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss The Naming of the Shrew A Curious History of Latin Names by John Wright

✓ 10+ #readwomen (Fiction)
18/10
The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-mi Hwang The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna Krall The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Nimona by Noelle Stevenson How to Be Both by Ali Smith The Waves by Virginia Woolf
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin Through the Woods by Emily Carroll Swamplandia! by Karen Russell The Summer Book by Tove Jansson The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison The Hunter by Julia Leigh

#readwomen (Non-Fiction)
The Amazons Lives and Legends of Warrior Women Across the Ancient World by Adrienne Mayor Animalium (Welcome to the Museum) by Jenny Broom

Comic Books
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1) by Kieron Gillen Fables, Vol. 20 Camelot by Bill Willingham Nimona by Noelle Stevenson Fables Werewolves of the Heartland by Bill Willingham Through the Woods by Emily Carroll Saga, Volume 5 by Brian K. Vaughan Fables, Vol. 21 Happily Ever After by Bill Willingham Fables, Vol. 22 Farewell by Bill Willingham

Around the World in 80 Books Ongoing Challenge (Fiction only, 2012-?)
27 Countries Visited

--------------------------------2012-------------------------------
1. England: Kraken by China Miéville
2. *India: Kim by Rudyard Kipling (British, raised in India)
3. USA: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
4. Denmark: We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen
5. *Wales: The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (English)
6. *Italy: The Undrowned Child by Michelle Lovric (British, living in Italy)
7. Czech Republic: War With the Newts by Karel Čapek (Czech - pre division of Czechoslovakia)
8. Scotland: The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg
9. France: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo read 2013
10. Russia: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
11. Greece: Seven Lives and One Great Love, Memories of a Cat by Lena Divani read 2014
--------------------------------2013-------------------------------
12. China: Death Of A Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong
13. *Germany: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Australian)
14. Sweden: The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
--------------------------------2014-------------------------------
15. *Iceland: Burial Rites by Hannah Kent (Australian)
16. Faroe Islands: The Old Man and His Sons by Heðin Brú
--------------------------------2015-------------------------------
17. South Korea: The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-mi Hwang
18. New Zealand: The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
19. Nigeria: Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor (Nigerian American)
20. Algeria: The Plague by Albert Camus
21. Poland: Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna Krall
22. Taiwan: The Man with the Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-Yi
23. Australia: The Hunter by Julia Leigh
24. Ukraine: A Matter Of Death And Life by Andrey Kurkov
25. Iraq: The Corpse Washer by Sinan Antoon
26. *Spain: All Men Are Liars by Alberto Manguel (Argentine-Canadian)
27. Finland: The Summer Book by Tove Jansson
28. *Holland:The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas (French)

* Author does not come from said country. May later be replaced by author who does.

message 2: by April (new)

April Rowland | 32 comments Read around the world. What an interesting challenge! I may have to borrow that one and try to do the same.

Where did you find your map?

message 3: by Louise (last edited Dec 16, 2015 05:10PM) (new)

Louise | 245 comments It's a challenge I picked up from one of my other goodreads groups. And one of my favourites, though I read so much fantasy or multiple books set in the same country that it's slow going. Has really highlighted to me that I'm not such an 'all round' reader as I thought. Def need to read more African fiction (and South american - though I read a fair bit of that as a teen).

The map should be a link that you can click through to create your own.

Boring stats for my own ref

(view spoiler)

message 4: by April (new)

April Rowland | 32 comments My current reading challenge has shown me that I'm not a very well rounded reader either. That maybe one reason that your around the world one appealed to me so much.

Thank you for the info on how to make my own map. It gave me inspiration to also do one around the US.

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments Good luck with that! I'm doing that with my other group as well but I seem to read books set in the States so rarely that it's very slow going. I think I'm only about 4 or 5 states in since starting in 2012.

Another country added to the world map though! And a very good read it was too. New Zealand: The Luminaries.

message 6: by Louise (last edited Feb 28, 2015 03:02PM) (new)

Louise | 245 comments Another country 'visited' (and another #readwomen), Nigeria: Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor. Unfortunately I didn't think it lived up to how interesting it should have been, so not sure it's an author I'll be reading any more of.

message 7: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4601 comments Is it authors from different contries or books set in different countries? Want to do that challenge, but can't make out how to post the map to me and how to update it. Not great with computer language.

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments I do it as books set in different countries (though I like to make a note on where the author is from too).

The map if you click on it should take you to a site where you can checkbox the countries you want to colour in. It also gives you a code for posting it on other websites like goodreads so just copy/paste it into your post. To update click on your map and it'll take you back to the checkbox page where you can add/remove places. But you'll have to copy/paste the code again as the goodreads version won't update automatically.

message 9: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4601 comments Thanks!!

message 10: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4601 comments What about the books with more than one country like travelling ?

message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments The group I got the challenge from says to count the country that is used 'most' but I think you can interpret/count those however you like really.

Good luck with the challenge! Always find it interesting to see how different people approach this one and what sort of books get chosen. Am half tempted to start a second round the world challenge for non-fiction, but that really would take me forever.

message 12: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4601 comments Thanks :) one more question though, do you count every non-fantasy book you read?

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments I count the first one set in each country (with priority given to. Authors from that country - so may well replace The Book Thief with a book by a German author later), whether it's fantasy or not.

So even though I've read numerous books set in France, UK, US, and China since I've started, the books recorded are just the first ones I read by a 'native author'. Most everyone else I know doing the challenge just records their first read from each country, and some people put down the 'best' book they've read set in the country (wheras my 'first' list has some real stinkers like The Time Traveler's Wife on). It's really entirely up to you how you count it. I limit myself to fiction, others have combined fiction/non-fiction lists, do it however you feel works for you.

message 14: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4601 comments I will do just fiction, that I know. I always have trouble setting the margins, but will figure it out as I go I guess :)

message 15: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4601 comments What is the name of the group? Maybe I can get some ideas from it ^^

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments Ah. I'm just the opposite with reading: if a challenge has too many rules and caveats set for me I feel too restricted and it feels like I'm no longer reading for fun but just to tick boxes. I need to tailor it with my own tweaks and restrictions.

The group I got it from is the UK Book Club - they also have read around the US states and the UK counties challenges. But I think they borrowed it from somewhere else and I'm pretty sure there's a whole book group on goodreads devoted to 'around the world in 80 books' too that has a ton of suggested reads and such.

message 17: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4601 comments I will try to find it.

Well,that's what I love about this site. It's room for the most rigid, slightly OCD reading person and the one who needs the most slack or own rules, that's so good because everyone feels welcome and have fun :)

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments Country number 20 visited! Algeria: The Plague. Africa's finally beginning to look a little less empty on my map. And it was a wonderful read too.

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments Another country to the map! Poland and Chasing the King of Hearts. Also brings my #readwomen count up and means I've already reached my (in retrospect very unambitious) target of 5 pieces of translated fiction this year.

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments And completed my #readwomen challenge of reading 10 female authors I'd never read before. Woot woot!

Will still continue to pick up new books by unfamiliar female authors though. I do really like making new discoveries.

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments And reached my target of 10 classics. Will probably exceed it later on but moving onto some slightly more recent books for a bit now, I think.

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments 50 books done! And with plenty of time to go too.

Also another country down (Ukraine).