Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > March Short Story / Novella / Anthology topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, it's time to start thinking about our March short story discussion topic. Please use this topic to suggest a Fantasy or Science Fiction Short Story, Novelette, Novella, Collection or Anthology of shorter works for our group's March, 2015, discussion (beginning March 11.)

It's very helpful if you can indicate where an individual story is still in print, either individually or in some anthology or on a website.

You can review past discussion topics in the group's Bookshelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of our past group selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

You do not need to have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

Note that this is our discussion selection for March. Parker's Academic Exercises has already been chosen as our February anthology discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Monday, January 26, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments well there is lots of great stuff I could nominate but want to see what others come up with

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Subject 11 by Jeffrey Thomas....a fine weird fiction novella with lots to chew on for discussion...not sure about where to get it in paper, I got digital on amazon for $1...don't worry, this guy is a pro IMO...rockin story

message 4: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments I'll nominate Crackpot Palace: Stories by Jeffrey Ford. I don't really know what to expect, but I've heard some recommendations for Ford and this volume of stories just keeps popping up in my Amazon recs.

It sounds like the collection falls solidly in the "weird fiction" category w/ different stories slanting more sci fi, horror, fantasy, or mystery. A few story titles: "The Seventh Expression of the Robot General" and "Glass Eels"

message 5: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments Spooky, looks like paperback copies of Subject 11 are available at Amazon for a reasonable (though not as reasonable as the ebook) price

message 6: by David (new)

David Blyth | 14 comments I'd like to nominate the collection 'The Creatures of Man' by Howard L. Myers - edited by Eric Flint - this title is available as a ebook from Baen and is free.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments Both the Thomas and the Ford would be great for me but G33z3r might appreciate a break from stories that veer into horror and weird after the current pick of Kiernan. Still I would probably vote for the Ford as he is one of my favorite short story writers and I have only read a small amount of that collection.

message 8: by Andreas (new)

Andreas I'd like to nominate Unfettered

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

A reminder that today is the final day for submitting nominations of Short Stories, Novelettes, Novella, Anthologies or Collections for our March discussion topic.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike Wilson | 113 comments Hillary wrote: "Spooky, looks like paperback copies of Subject 11 are available at Amazon for a reasonable (though not as reasonable as the ebook) price"

I removed my nomination to 2nd Subject 11 by Jeffrey Thomas!
Subject 11 by Jeffrey Thomas

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron

The poll is now open to select our Group's Science Fiction/Fantasy Short Fiction Collection for discussion in March (starting March 11.) If you are interested in discussing one of the above nominees, please vote here for the work you would prefer. Please vote only if you wish to participate in a discussion.

Note that this is our discussion selection for March. Parker's Academic Exercises s has already been chosen as our February short stories discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Monday, February 2.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: Today is the final day to vote for our Group's Science Fiction/Fantasy Novella / Anthology/ Collection for discussion in March.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2015 05:56AM) (new)

Huh. Well, the poll didn't close as I expected. (Previously, Goodreads would close a pole with a February 3 end date at midnight.)

FYI, I'm going to leave the poll open for another day just to see what the new normal is.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2015 05:52AM) (new)

Announcement chyron
Our March SF/F Short Story/Anthology discussion topic for March will be...

Unfettered by Shawn Speakman Unfettered anthology edited by Shawn Speakman

The discussion begins March 11. See you then...

message 15: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments Already read it although the memory is a little rusty as it was soon after it was released. Still will be there.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Ben wrote: "Already read it although the memory is a little rusty as it was soon after it was released. Still will be there."

I've read about half of it. It's been on my currently-reading list for about a year. I read all the stuff from my go-to authors and then got distracted by the next shiny object. Maybe this will be a motivation to finish it!

message 17: by David (new)

David Blyth | 14 comments I purchased the ebook and haven't got around to it. Hopefully this will be motivation to bring it near the top of the to be read list.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2228 comments I've had it on my TBR for a while now. Got it in HB on a preorder to support it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.