The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Any other podcasts?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments I'm curious about what other podcasts Sword and Laser listeners listen to. S&L is the first podcast I started following regularly, and last year I finished listening to all the previous book wrap-ups after reading all of the books.

A couple of friends here who are also aspiring writers brought Writing Excuses to my attention.
http://www.writingexcuses.com/
Hosted by Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, and Howard Taylor (of Schlock Mercenary), and, starting in season 6, Mary Robinette Kowal, these are 15-minute classes on the craft of writing fiction. I am not an aspiring writer myself, but these are still entertaining and helpful for thinking about how and why things work in fiction, demystifying what I used to consider basically a magical process.

What else do you listen to? It doesn't have to be genre fiction related. But a sentence or two on the major themes or style would be nice.

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Jan 19, 2015 06:58AM) (new)

Daniel K | 164 comments Joanna wrote: "...these are 15-minute classes on the craft of writing fiction. I am not an aspiring writer myself, but these are still entertaining and helpful for thinking about how and why things work in fiction, demystifying what I used to consider basically a magical process. ..."

Wow, i definately need to check this out.

As per what i am listening to, S&L is the only book themed podcast at the moment for me. Besides this i'm listening to 2 more shows from boingboing. One is You Are Not So Smart where the host tells about all the different progressive psychological studies out there emphasizing more on biases and self-delusion of people. Second is Futility Closet where a pair of hosts, wife and husband, are telling about some odd and fun history misteries such as disappearence of a ship's crew, strange animal feetprints, devil-vigilante occurances from 19th century, etc.

Also there is of course cool show by Neil DeGrasse Tyson at his website named StarTalk Radio where he invites some interesting people from the world of science, or some actors and comedians and makes science-based conversations, Q&A sections. Some themes are fun, some are serious. Sometimes its cosmology, sometimes its pseudoscience, sometimes its interview with Simpsons voice actor. All the geeky stuff for you.

Update: Some time ago i've searhed for cool weekly or dayly science news podast and came across only some BBC and NPR shows but none of them was concentrating on the recent news from all fields of science. So if you have any suggestions, post it here, i'd be glad.

message 3: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I used to listen to the Nerdist podcast but Hardwick releases too many episodes for me to keep up now. The only other podcast I'm in to Serial and that's over for now.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 19, 2015 07:06AM) (new)

I second to Futility Closet's quality.

I don't listen to a lot of Podcasts regularly because I don't have a lot of opportunity to.

But I occasionally tune into Daily Tech News Show when the main topic interests me or if I like the co-host. (Aka, when Veronica joins the team I'll be tuning in to her episodes. SO CLOSE.) Title speaks for itself. The show is hosted by Tom and he puts daily tech news events in historical and modern context.

I also quite like SnoutCast which is a podcast where they interview Puzzle aficionados or creators.

I follow the Grey Area Podcast when Jenesee interviews someone I'm interested in. It's about the social aspects of gaming. I.e. It used to focus on MMOs and then broadened it to LARPing, tabletop, etc.

message 5: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments I like The Tim Ferris Show, The Alton Browncast, The Jeff and Casey Show, and Radiolab. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is also great.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I listen to a ton - I love author interviews and discussions about the genre.

Geek's Guide to the Galaxy - great interviews, all types of guests SF/F related
Once and Future podcast - also great interviews, mostly fantasy and Urban fantasy
Rocket Talk - good guests and discussions of genre
SF Signal - lots of good roundtable discussions with people in the genre
Speculate - good, in depth, analysis of books. They pick a book and critique it, interview the author, and discuss the writing aspect.
Coode Street podcast - more literary SF/F discussions and interviews
The Three Hoarsemen - like Coode Street but with more comics and short stories
The Skiffy and Fanty Show - guests and interviews and stuff, hit and miss for me
The Functional Nerds - good talks with SF/F flavor
Midnight in Karachi - new but good so far, mostly interviews I think, and not always SF/F

message 7: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 115 comments I'm not really a podcast person (for the same reason I'm not an audio books person - I have no auditory attention span) but I listen to S&L and In Our Time. In Our Time gets a podcast pass because it's so like sitting in a seminar that I can pay attention, and my attention does wander in S&L (through no fault of Veronica and Tom!) but I tend to only listen in ten-minute chunks so it's not too bad.

message 8: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 115 comments Oh, and I have just downloaded a few of Writing Excuses because I stumbled across it yesterday and wanted to check it out. Funny that I would have found it today from this thread anyway. (Also, I feel sort of bad that a number of my friends have podcasts and I just .... don't listen. Bad friend!)

message 9: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments The Squeecast changed a bit from pure squee to monthly sf roundtables. But they did point me to the Welcome to Nightvale podcast, which is a crazy lovecraftian serial.

Podquiz, for the twenty minutes of pure trivia and the soothing (British?) voice of the quizmaster.

It's Only a Game is my usual source of sports knowledge. Superbowl Haiku should be coming up soon.

message 10: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 355 comments I listened to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe until Rebecca announced she was leaving a few weeks ago.
I listened to Serial while it was going.
Astronomy Cast (your weekly facts based journey through the cosmos, with Dr. Pamela Gay and Fraser Cain)
And Inquiring Minds, where Indre Viskontas and a guest host interview people who are scientists, have books coming out, mathematicians, anything intellectual really.

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments In terms of SF&F podcasts other than Sword and Laser, I listen to:

The SF Signal Podcast (weekly or more) - consistently good quality discussion and guests and the host is occasionally as funny as he thinks he is.

The Coode Street Podcast (weekly) - a weekly discussion of SF from a literary and critical viewpoint. Jonathan and Gary are very respected in the field and this is reflected by the quality of the guests that they often get.

Galactic Suburbia (fortnightly) - Three Australian ladies talk about speculative fiction and many other things in an informal discussion format. Tansy Rayner Roberts from this podcast also appears on the Verity! Doctor Who podcast which is also brilliant.

The Writer and the Crtic (bimonthly) - Another Australian podcast, this one with a bookclub format. The books that this podcast covers have done more to expand my reading repertoire than anything else I'm reading or listening to. Some incredibly rewarding books that I really enjoyed (next month's pick The Bitterwood Bible for instance) and some that I found horrible like The Testament of Jessie Lamb.

The Skiffy and Fanty Show (weekly or more) - Unevenly good, with an excellent range of regulars, but this is one of the few on this list that I regularly skip whole episodes. The interminable musical intro and outro contribute to my frustration with this one.

Rocket Talk (weekly) - Tor.com's first podcast and consistently excellent, both with the interview shows and the narrated short fiction ones.

The SF Squeecast (irregular) - A shadow of former glory unfortunately. They set the bar too high with things to squee about and effectively ran out, changing their format to panel shows. The hosts are still brilliant, and they play off each other well, but the panels are too infrequent and it's hard to do exclusively positive in panel discussions.

The Incomparable (weekly) - Popular geeky culture with a really wide mandate. The bookclub episodes are some of the best book discussions around.

Tea and Jeopardy (weekly) - Incredibly clever and funny interview show hosted by author Emma Newman.

That's about it in terms of SF&F podcasts. I also highly recommend The Infinite Monkey Cage and Radiolab.

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments I listen to podcasts, though not as much as I listen to books. None of my other ones are particularly SFF- or writing-related, but my real trick is trying to find the reading/podcast balance. If I'm doing mindless work, I can listen to a spoken word podcast with relative ease. But if I'm doing real work (or worse, sitting in meetings!), that's just not possible. And when I'm not at work, I've been trying to listen to more audiobooks rather than podcasts.

I do listen to two music-themed podcasts, so those are easy to work to if my regular music or music discovery isn't working for me/my mood.
Coverville, a podcast of covers! Host Brian Ibbott does themes and does great work making shows that have a variety of things I never would have found otherwise.
CD Baby Music Discovery podcast. An interesting way to find independent artists, as curated by the folks from CD Baby. Some shows are better than others, but that's to be expected. I've found some great music that has a permanent spot in my collection from this.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8504 comments Other than S&L, I've dropped most of my SFF podcasts. Either I hadn't read the book or the show itself didn't do anything for me.

I really like Writing Excuses, especially now that Mary is on the podcast. She's the only author on that show who I think is actually as good as the advice they give. They've just started season 10 and have changed up the format. Now it's going to be more like a structured class, where they go from "Where do you get your ideas?" to the ins and outs of publishing at the end of the year.

The Nerdist Writer's Panel focuses primarily on TV and comics, with the occasional book and movie thrown in. But the hosts are working comic book authors who also do the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast. They're also good friends with comic writing legend Len Wein, who has a lot of great stories and apparently a memory like a steel trap. (Wein is the guy who created Wolverine, among others.)

The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith is primarily about movies but he's also a big sci-fi and comic book fan, so he treats the movies we like with as much respect as so-called "serious" movies. Goldsmith also asks some of the best questions I've heard in this sort of format.

Radiolab for cool science stuff. Probably the single best-produced radio show/podcast in existence, bar none. Some episodes, such as "Colors", have blown my mind.

Which brings me to Stuff To Blow Your Mind, which actually lives up to the title. It's science stuff, but they approach it in a readily-accessible way and are also quite entertaining. They also use SFF as a hook into their stories, such as The Grinch around Christmas and horror movies during Halloween.

For those of you with short attention spans, I recommend The Memory Palace, which are like entertaining and often thought-provoking little tidbits of info. Most of them are less than 15 minutes long, I think, with quite a few under 10.

There are others, but those are my regular go-tos. I just started to get into 99% Invisible and BackStory, which are both excellent and have some science fiction-focused episodes.

message 14: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments I forgot about Stuff To Blow Your Mind - I love that podcast. Forgot to re-subscribe with my new podcast reader.

message 15: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 38 comments Caitlin wrote: "I listened to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe until Rebecca announced she was leaving a few weeks ago.
I listened to Serial while it was going.
Astronomy Cast (your weekly facts based journey th..."

Seconding Inquiring Minds!

Also, NPR's new Invisibilia podcast is pretty good so far.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicoletort) | 27 comments Not SFF, but literary - I'm a fan of Books on the Nightstand (booksonthenightstand.com), a weekly podcast in the same man/woman discussing various book topics format as S+L but without the book club format. The hosts both work in publishing, so there's some cool behind the scenes things there.

I also listen to Overdue (overduepodcast.com), a weekly podcast with two male hosts where they read books "you really should have read by now." Each week one host reads a book and tells the other about it. They do some SFF, but mostly lots of classics or really popular books.

message 17: by Clyde (last edited Jan 21, 2015 12:21AM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 416 comments - I sometimes listen to The Baen Free Radio Hour (when they interview someone I'm interested in).
- Neil deGrasse Tyson's Startalk Radio is often fun.
- The BBC's In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg covers the span of human knowledge (science, culture, literature, history, whatever).
- TWiT Has lots of good podcasts. I always watch/listen to This Week in Tech just to keep up with the latest tech news.

message 18: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) I listen to six other podcasts

Circulating Ideas. I'm a librarian and this features interviews with interesting librarians.

Grammar Girl. Short talk about grammar issues. Fun.

Science Friday. The NPR series. it's just more convenient to listen as a podcast.

Digital Campus. How technology is affecting the university. Library, teaching, archive, and museum applications. Excellent.

Tech Talker. Tech news, pretty quick.

Everyday Einstein. Bite sized science.

The last 2 I sometimes skip, if things get busy. Science Friday I'll sometimes skip a segment, if it's something I have no interest in.

I should add Engines of Our Ingenuity. I often listen and enjoy it on the radio. I'd never miss an episode if I had the podacast.

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 126 comments I like....
Welcome to nightvale
Science fiction book review podcast
Nerdist
Functional nerds
Speculate
Sf signal
Wait wait don't tell me
Writers almanac
Bookrageous
Books on the nightstand

Wow - didn't realize how many podcasts I actually listen to

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 126 comments I like....
Welcome to nightvale
Science fiction book review podcast
Nerdist
Functional nerds
Speculate
Sf signal
Wait wait don't tell me
Writers almanac
Bookrageous
Books on the nightstand

Wow - didn't realize how many podcasts I actually listen to

message 21: by Mysterio2 (last edited Jan 21, 2015 01:08PM) (new)

Mysterio2 | 85 comments I listen to tons of podcasts, but the ones I will enthusiastically recommend to readers of this board are:

Literature and/or literary:
- Welcome To Nightvale
- Drabblecast/Drabbleclassics
- Escape Artists, Inc. podcasts:
+ Pseudopod
+ Escape Pod
+ Podcastle
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies/Beneath Ceaseless Skies Audio Vault
- The Geek's Guide to the Galaxy
- Welcome to Night Vale

Others:
- the memory palace
- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
- History of English Podcast

message 22: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments In the genre, I like SF Squeecast and SF Signal (though I do find the host a bit annoying). I've tried Coode Street, Skiffy and Fanty, the Hoarsemen and Galactic Suburbia but they haven't really done it for me or I just sampled the wrong episodes.
In pop culture, I really enjoy NPR's Pop Culture Hour, Previously.TV's Extra Hot Great, and Marc Maron's WTF.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul C. | 1 comments There are some really good podcasts in this thread, but I'll add some not already mentioned:

* StarShipSofa - Some SF talk, some science, some fiction
* Tatiana Is Everyone - An Orphan Black Podcast (spoilers, in depth look at various aspects of the shows)
* Planetary Radio: Space Exploration, Astronomy, and planetary science (weekly) - Bill Nye regularly shows up on one segment on most of the episodes since he is the CEO of the Planetary Society
* No Quarter - Discussion and review of classic arcade games (much fun, no gate keeping)

The problem is not finding podcasts, rather finding the time to listen to all of them. Luckily most can be litened to at 1.3-1.5x.

message 24: by Misti (last edited Jan 23, 2015 11:12AM) (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 478 comments I either listen to or watch the video versions of several of the TWiT shows:
This Week in Tech
iPad Today
All About Android
Tech News 2Night
Android App Arena

Then the Tom-Centric shows:
Daily Tech News Show
Current Geek
It's a Thing

Also Geekbeat.TV and Hak5 and I've just started watching Patrick Norton's and Shannon Morse's new show which is basically Tekzilla with a new name, which also starts with a Tek, but I can't remember at the moment. Gah! (edit: Tekthing! It's Tekthing.)

message 25: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Villhauer (tylervillhauer) | 4 comments DAN CARLIN. Do you follow politics? Do you follow history? Common Sense with Dan Carlin. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I can not praise him enough. DAN CARLIN. Irregular updates, sure -- the HH podcast hasn't had an episode since December -- but he is far and away the best podcaster I listen to. Sorry, S & L.

The only other book podcast I listen to is The New York Times Book Review Podcast. I highly recommend it.

As for other podcasts I listen to: I love Colin Cowherd. He has a common sense and business podcast that happens to be about sports. I've learned more from him about being successful in life than I have from anyone else.

I listen to a lot of comedy. Opie and Anthony/Jim Norton, Joe Rogan, Biggest Problem In The Universe (but I've had a lot of problems with the feed on this one). This American Life and Fresh Air are great. StarTalk used to be one of my favorites, but it's kinda getting old. The Giant Bombcast is the best video game podcast.

message 26: by Mark (last edited Mar 14, 2015 03:50PM) (new)

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) I listen to Starshipsofa and Escape Pod, which have already been mentioned, and also Lightspeed Magazine, Clarkesworld, and Classic Tales podcast hosted by BJ Harrison

And a shout out to SFFAudio as well, many of whom I see frequenting this forum.

message 27: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Villhauer (tylervillhauer) | 4 comments By the way, one of the hosts of Literary Disco is Rider Strong, aka Shaun Hunter from Boy Meets World.

message 28: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8504 comments Tyler wrote: "By the way, one of the hosts of Literary Disco is Rider Strong, aka Shaun Hunter from Boy Meets World."

As an aside, I find the names "Rider Strong" and "Shaun Hunter" to be equally implausible.

message 29: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) Michele wrote: "I listen to a ton - I love author interviews and discussions about the genre.

Geek's Guide to the Galaxy - great interviews, all types of guests SF/F related
Once and Future podcast - also great i..."

Thanks for the list, Michele. I'm able to listen to podcasts at my day job and finding new podcasts is appreciated.

Marion

message 30: by Scott (last edited Mar 16, 2015 07:36AM) (new)

Scott | 312 comments I've recently discovered Writing Excuses and love it! It's really helped me see where I need to improve
I also listen to Slumber Party with Alie Ward and Georgia Hardstark for fun entertainment
And Wil Wheaton's Radio Free Burrito

Tyler wrote: "I love Colin Cowherd. He has a common sense and business podcast that happens to be about sports. I've learned more from him about being successful in life than I have from anyone else."
I love Colin too!

message 31: by ZJ (new)

ZJ (zjob) There is a distinct lack of comedy podcasts being mentioned. Those are what I gravitate towards the most since they're usually light and conversational and can be great when you're half occupied by something else.

Comedy Bang Bang - absurdist improve and interview with guests both real and imagined

Stop Podcasting Yourself - two comedians from Vancouver chat with a guest

Nerd Poker - Comedian Brian Posehn and his friends play D&D

How Did This Get Made? - 3 Comedians plus guest talk about a bad movie

The Flop House - 2 Daily Show writers and another guy talk about bad movies

Who Charted? - 2 hosts plus guest countdown music and movie charts

My Brother My Brother and Me - Three brothers answer advice questions posed by fans and culled from Yahoo Answers

Sawbones - a married couple discuss the weird medical things humans have done in the past

Oh No Ross and Carry - two investigators look into claims of cults, pseudoscience, the paranormal and other weirdo things

The Canon - not a comedy podcast but an interesting movie show where two critics debate if a movie is worth putting into the canon of Greatest Movies.

I listen to a ton more but those are my immediate favourites. Check out the MaxFun, Earwolf, Wolfpop, and Nerdist podcast networks. They have so many good shows available.

message 32: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Villhauer (tylervillhauer) | 4 comments While we're on the subject of comedy, Idiots On Parade is decent; it's a low-budget podcast with sketchy audio quality and you've never heard of the hosts, but it's notable because one of the hosts has a brother who beat me up in elementary school when I got into pro wrestling and thought fighting other kids was a great idea. We get along just fine now.

message 33: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Villhauer (tylervillhauer) | 4 comments While we're on the subject of comedy, Idiots On Parade is decent; it's a low-budget podcast with sketchy audio quality and you've never heard of the hosts, but it's notable because one of the hosts has a brother who beat me up in elementary school when I got into pro wrestling and thought fighting other kids was a great idea. We get along just fine now.

message 34: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments I think I'll give some of those a try. Thanks!

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (whatlovelybooks) | 179 comments I also listen to literary type podcasts:

-Books on the Nightstand-hosted by two people who work in publishing

-The Readers- hosted by two book bloggers

-Slate.com does has a great "Audio Book Club" show

-Book Riot has one called Dear Book Nerd, an advice show about literature.

For funsies I also listen to The Nerdist, Smodcast, and Penn's Sunday School.

message 36: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Thanks, everyone! There's all kinds of wonderful here!