The Sundered Book Club discussion

Hoard of the Dragon Queen > Help a DM out

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Peek (mordrim) | 255 comments Mod
I needed to get a topic started in this folder and I figured why not start with a place for people to ask for help/advice on running this adventure.

Feel free to post any questions you might have about running this game for your group.

message 2: by D (new)

D (darrentpatrick) Great idea, Chad.

I've ran the first episode of this adventure and found that it gave the DM a good deal of license in terms of allowing the players to make choices - something I really enjoyed from second edition. I'm interested to hear others' experience with the rest of the episodes; criticism seems to be floating around about how disconnected they feel (I haven't gone any further than the town of Greenest so I'm keen to hear).

message 3: by Chad (new)

Hi Darren,

I agree that the ability to run it in a "sandbox" kind of fashion is a great trait of this adventure. The players enjoy not feeling they are being railroaded to go to complete certain tasks at certain times. For example, they critted on their Perception checks at the Mill and I told them "the cultist are acting like they are going to set the mill on fire, but you get the feeling that this might be more of a ruse than anything." They immediately believed it was a distraction and hurried off to the Temple thinking that may have been the cult's true target. This was partly because I had them rescue Father Falconmoon from a group of cultist who were trying to beat him into letting them into the temple as one of the random encounters when they first entered Greenest.

This leads me to what I might list as a complaint in Chapter 1. I get the point of random encounters when you enter Greenest. It is a town getting ransacked and there is chaos everywhere, but I thought this was a section where they could have added some flavor. I played this section as a player and the DM basically just said "around this corner there are 4 kobolds, you turn another corner there are 4 cultist, around the next corner....". I thought this was a bit monotonous so when I ran it, I tried to add some story to it to suck the players in a bit more. For one encounter I had 6 kobolds that had trapped 3 children on top of a roof. One kobold was sneaking up the back side of the house, and the other 5 were throwing rocks at the kids. This actually did get two party members fired up to play hero, and the rogue decided to race the sneaking goblin to the top, where he ended surprising him and throwing him off the roof.

message 4: by Chad (new)

If you like the sandbox kind of style, Chapter 2 and 4 really give the players a lot of control over the story. They're a bit harder as a DM to prepare for, but it can be a lot of fun when the party gets creative with it's problem solving. :)

message 5: by D (new)

D (darrentpatrick) Great idea regarding the story element behind the random encounters. I'll consider using that as well as I prepare to run a new group through. Interested to see how they handle chapter 2!