The Sundered Book Club discussion

Rise of the King > Rise of the King - Prologue & Chapters 1-3

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Peek (mordrim) | 255 comments Mod
*** This thread is for the first few chapters only. If you want to discuss the book as a whole, please see the thread for people who have finished the book. :) ***

So the Companions are back...or have been back if you did a better job of keeping up on your reading than I did. It is time for us to start discussing this latest Drizzt Do'Urden novel from R.A Salvatore.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad Peek (mordrim) | 255 comments Mod
I really enjoyed the first section. It started a little slow with some setup but when we get to the battle at the frozen lake it just takes off. That battle scene was very well done and something that I would have expected towards the end of a book. Bob definitely was not pulling any punches when he sat down and started this book.

The scene with Drizzt and the companions was pretty interesting. I feel like it is setting up Drizzt's internal struggle in this book, and I am looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

I am curious about what is happening with Regis. Is it perhaps his time to leave the companions and head back to the Grinning Ponies, or maybe even back to find House Topolino?

Do the orcs seem bloodthirstier than normal to anyone else? I can't help but feel like Bob really jacked them up for this book and made them more of a threat than I remember them being in other novels.

And of course.....WE HAVE A DRAGON!!!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dobbs | 31 comments not just one dragon but...two dragons! Yeah, he really upped the savagery in this book. In fact, the Adbar fiasco on the frozen lake is one of the passages that I skim because it was so brutal and so treacherous, especially in Doumweille's case. This is an amazing book :)

message 4: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments I loved this book.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (berliad) | 106 comments Small thing, but I love that there was a dwarf named "Dagnabbet." I mean, there are funny names, and there's that one.

message 6: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments Favorite dwarf name ever.