Book Cougars discussion

Episodes > Episode 114 - Mary Oliver Synchronicity

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 306 comments Mod
Chris and Emily share admiration for the poet Mary Oliver and suggest a hack for getting more poetry reading into your life. They both did quite a bit of reading and chat about a lot of books! Authors mentioned include V.E. Schwab, Deesha Philyaw, Jennifer Risher, Kim Powers, P. Djèlí Clark, and Joseph O' Connor, to name a few.

Listen on your favorite podcast app or stream from our website: https://www.bookcougars.com/blog-1/20...

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto | 15 comments Chris
I heard you talking about the 1938 hurricane on your podcast today and I just wanted to share a memory I have. Actually, it’s a memory my Mom had. She was 19 years old and at work in Norwich CT when the hurricane hit. She remembered watching the church steeple across the street come tumbling down. After the storm abated somewhat she and a girlfriend walked home, stepping over live wires to get there. One of my first memories (I was 5 years old) is of my mother and grandmother stuffing towels in the windows to keep the water from Hurricane Carol from pouring in. My grandmother’s house sat on a hill just above the Thames. My Mom was really annoyed with my Dad that day because he had gone out onto the river to help my uncle get his boat in while lighting was shooting everywhere. I have the book Sudden Sea as well but haven’t read it yet. I think I’ll pull it off the shelf and put it on my pile.

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 5 comments I haven’t listened to this episode yet but I’m reading Sudden Sea right now! Can’t wait to hear about it.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb (beebeereads) | 23 comments Chris I'm so glad you talked about this book. I grew up listening to my Dad talk about it. He would have been in south Weymouth at the time. I don't recall any family who were directly impacted, but I have clear recollections of the enormity of the surprise. I will definitely add this to my the TBR. thank you. I am always up for a disaster (on the page only of course)

message 5: by Deb (new)

Deb | 49 comments Chris wrote: "Chris and Emily share admiration for the poet Mary Oliver and suggest a hack for getting more poetry reading into your life. They both did quite a bit of reading and chat about a lot of books! Auth..."

I keep Mary Oliver's Collection on my nightstand and read one poem a night. She just touches my heart and soul like no other poet.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Deb wrote: "Chris wrote: "Chris and Emily share admiration for the poet Mary Oliver and suggest a hack for getting more poetry reading into your life. They both did quite a bit of reading and chat about a lot ..."

What a beautiful way to usher in sleep.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Nancy wrote: "Chris
I heard you talking about the 1938 hurricane on your podcast today and I just wanted to share a memory I have. Actually, it’s a memory my Mom had. She was 19 years old and at work in Norwich ..."

Oh, wow, Nancy! How amazing your Mom experienced it and lived through it.

I found this article that mentions the surge that went up the Thames put Norwich under 11 feet of water:

https://www.courant.com/courant-250/m...

message 8: by Chris (new)

Bethany wrote: "I haven’t listened to this episode yet but I’m reading Sudden Sea right now! Can’t wait to hear about it."

What a coincidence. Did you finish/enjoy Sudden Sea? Curious minds want to know! :)

message 9: by Chris (new)

Barb wrote: "Chris I'm so glad you talked about this book. I grew up listening to my Dad talk about it. He would have been in south Weymouth at the time. I don't recall any family who were directly impacted, bu..."

I look forward to hearing what you think of the book whenever you get to it. No doubt it'll be interesting to you in a very different way knowing your dad experienced it. So many lucky and unlucky stories in the book.

Yes to disasters but only on the page!